Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A little worried

paige92

Lairian
My boyfriend and I have adopted a new baby boy sphynx! Were so so so excited to get him, we will be getting him within the next 2 weeks. I have got him everything he would ever need and more!! He's already so spoiled and he's not even home yet. But I m worried that he will be lonely when my boyfriend and I are not home. We both work full time jobs. But were both home every day. I m off at 2pm and he gets home at 5pm - 6pm ish depending on his work. Do you think he ll be upset with us when we leave? Will he be okay? Is he gonna hate us for leaving him? Is there anything I can do to make his stay at home alone not as painful without his mommy & daddy there?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! How exciting your baby will be home soon. Most babies come home and cry because they miss their Mom and litter mates, but within couple of days they usually settle down. Getting a bird feeder for outside a window is a great way to keep your baby from getting bored. You can keep a radio on low and as well. I have 3 video cameras and you would be surprised how much they sleep during the day and when you get home they are full of energy and you will be more worried about how to tucker them out so you can sleep lol. If you find your baby is truly lonely, some have adopted a furry baby to keep them company if getting another hairless is not an immediate option. But you will see in most cases they settle in nicely. Often we humans impose our own feelings on our pets. They live in the moment unlike us. Can't wait to see pics @paige92

Patti

Last edited:

paige92

Lairian
Oh that makes me feel much better! I just want him to love his new home and mom and dad as much as we love him lol!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@paige92 welcome to sphynxlair! Is the sphynx in your avatar your little boy? What a handsome cutie he is. Do you already now what his name will be?
Your little boy will be okay for the 3-4 hours he's being alone. Specially when you play with him when you're at home. Kittens have a lot of energy so it's great when they can play a lot. Lot of sphynxes love Da Bird to chase. Laser toys are most of the time a great hit too. You have laserlight that stay on for 15 minutes and then turn off by themselves. I always put it on when I go to work so my crew can play a little longer.
You can leave the radio or tv on so your boy hears some noice.
I'm sure your boy will be allright. He probably will sleep so he has enough energy when you come home:).
Oh but be prepaired on the "mommy/daddy feel guilty look". I have 3 sphynxes and they always give me that look when I'm leaving the house.

If you have more pics of your boy I would love to see them.

Natasja

paige92

Lairian
@Toa and Ross yes that is my boy in the picture, my boyfriend picked him cause of his big blue eyes lol! I ll be finding a station on TV with radio for him to listen to while I m out. & I ll look into a bird feeder & put a bed by the sliding door so he can watch them! thank you for your suggestion! And we're going to name him Neptune!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If you can get a cat tower to put by the bird feeder it is even better. They love to chatter at the birds in my house.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@paige92 your little baby will not hate you or your boyfriend for going to work...that's for sure. If anything, he will love on you two constantly while home. :) So be prepared to never be alone again. You will have a constant buddy whether you are cooking, sleeping, watching t.v. and even while on the toilet. LOL Two weeks more and your life will be changed forever.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@paige92 , so excited for you ! Looking forward to Gotcha day stories and pics of Neptune :)

Kitty proof everything for life :)
When you are gone for the day be sure to put away any pole string toys(they love chewing these up)
Da Bird toy is a fav to play with when you get home too
Put up cord blinds, watch hot fast stove tops , toilet lids always down , amd my gosh threes kitties zooooom
Underfoot so watch below amd slowly open doors -
I trained my to a spot to wait to meet n greet kisses-

Some interactive toys like turbo chase an pet stages 3 layer toy are popular here -
Neptune will be just fine :) we see he is sooo loved and spooked already
Very excited for you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 9

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can also get something like a Petcube (which we have) and I know there are other video monitoring systems out there.
We have one set up in our living room, since we know that is where our sphynxes sleep the most. We have two heated pod beds set up there, and we can log in to our Petcube and check on them when we are at work! :)

We can also play with a laser with them through the Petcube. Haha, that's fun too. But generally the boys sleep mostly during the day while we are at work. We both work fulltime as well. Then play and cuddle time starts once we arrive home.

Congrats by the way! A sphynx will change your life forever :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome. All great advice above. You can always get another Sphynx for companionship too! *cough cough*

I'd intended to only have one and even though Max was very independent, and Hubby and I both work from home, it was clear he wanted a feline playmate. So now we have two! And despite what @GoldHazel says, yes being away DOES make them crave your company all the more, but I'm home all day and they always need to be in my face! LOL LOL. So yes, @GoldHazel is MORE than right... you'll never be without your naked companion... or two!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome. All great advice above. You can always get another Sphynx for companionship too! *cough cough*

I'd intended to only have one and even though Max was very independent, and Hubby and I both work from home, it was clear he wanted a feline playmate. So now we have two! And despite what @GoldHazel says, yes being away DOES make them crave your company all the more, but I'm home all day and they always need to be in my face! LOL LOL. So yes, @GoldHazel is MORE than right... you'll never be without your naked companion... or two!

@Xandria well you know I can't have just one potato chip either, right? LOL