Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A lot of Questions!

I understand these kitties are high maintenance. How high of maintenance would you rate them?

• Not at all, but still a lot of work with baths, they tend to play with the other animals just fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medium amount, they do well on their own when they have to be.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • High, I spend a lot of my time with my kitten/cat.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Very High, most of my time goes to them making sure they are okay.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Gaily

Lairian
Since I am new to being a Sphynx owner, (Still waiting for them)
I have a lot of questions i want to say.

Coconut oil, What is it for?

Best way to clean their claws?

How often do you give your Sphynx a bath? (A breeder told me once a month would be fine. just wondering how often i should.)

What good treats should be used. I cant do a raw diet right now so I wish to know what good treats would be used for training and rewarding.

Good food to buy that isnt dry food.

If You can, can you mix dry food with wet food? If not why?

Clothes for Sphynx? How much do you normally spend. and how many pairs should one get?

How friendly are Sphynx really? Do they warm up to strangers or do you have to introduce them to strangers?
The reason why i ask this is im hoping to get a Therapy cat and an emotional support animal.

Does your cats know any tricks. if so, How long did it take for you to train them?

Do you use litterbox or Toilet?

How well do they get along with other animals?

Do they get sick often? If so. how often?

ive been reading around and some of them stick and others im clueless on.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use coconut oil to clean the ears.

Baby wipes are good for paws and wiping down other parts.

3-4 weeks on baths. It depends on your cat but the more you bathe them, the more oil they produce.

Clothes are optional. Blankets are a must.

All of my sphynx have been friendly and social although some more than others. Many tend to be snuggly but not all. They do sort of have the temperament of a dog. They are playful.

Hope this helps.

Sheofthrone3

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use coconut oil to clean the ears.

Baby wipes are good for paws and wiping down other parts.

3-4 weeks on baths. It depends on your cat but the more you bathe them, the more oil they produce.

Clothes are optional. Blankets are a must.

All of my sphynx have been friendly and social although some more than others. Many tend to be snuggly but not all. They do sort of have the temperament of a dog. They are playful.

Hope this helps.
How do you use coconut oil to clean the ears?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You put a small amount on a cotton ball, put it in their ear, hold it, rub the base of the ear and swipe. Then I use q-tips to gently get the wax out. They get a lot of wax. You will definitely see it. I think the coconut oil also helps keep them clean and expunge the wax as well. I’m sure we have a video on this site.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here it is.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is good, too. Go to Forums and check out the Sphynx Information Help Center. There is a lot of helpful information.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Great you're doing research! I'll give you my thoughts (lots of different opinions about foods etc so just do what you think is the best!)

If You can, can you mix dry food with wet food? If not why?
Yes you can feed dry and wet. But not dry and raw food. My crew do get Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food.

Clothes for Sphynx? How much do you normally spend. and how many pairs should one get?
My crew hates clothes so can't advice you on this one.

How friendly are Sphynx really? Do they warm up to strangers or do you have to introduce them to strangers?
The reason why i ask this is im hoping to get a Therapy cat and an emotional support animal.

Most sphynx, certainly when you get them as a kitten are super friendly and easy going to other people. But it depends on personality of course. My two boys came to me as a kitten. Toa cuddles with everybody who wants too. Ross needs some time to get to know somebody.

Does your cats know any tricks. if so, How long did it take for you to train them?
I'm a bad cat trainer. But you can train cats! @Yoda mom is very good in training cats. Hopefully she gives you tips. Toa can sit on comment. Only took him one yummy treat to learn;-).

Do you use litterbox or Toilet?
Litterboxes here but saw people using toilet too. Needs training I guess.

How well do they get along with other animals?
Most sphynx love all animals.

Do they get sick often? If so. how often?
It helps to get a kitten from a reputable breeder who scans parents on HCM. But even then your sphynx can get issues. I have 3 sphynxes. Two are never sick. One has a skin disease and it took me a lot of vet visits to find out what was causing his health issues.

Hope this helps a little!

Natasja