Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A Sphynx Called ButterBall

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings fellow sphynx persons. Here is my sphynx tail.

I have been contemplating getting a cat for a few years now. I never went through it for one reason or another. Then I searched sphynx on Youtube and found myself watching every sphynx or peterbald video that was posted. Let me tell you, it's a lot. A WHOLE LOT. These critters were just the cutest most playful cats around. I was hooked. Normally I would have been excited at first and lost interest later. But something was different about the sphynx's. The more I would see of them, the more I wanted one. I began commenting on many of the sphynx videos and met a wonderful woman in Ohio named Tracy. I would always leave comments about her videos and she was more than happy to reply with stories or information. She was really great. Her myspace page was a popular place among breeders and owners. It seemed like everyone knew who she was and everyone had nice things to say about her. I knew that she owned several sphynx's and that she was friends with many sphynx owners but the one thing that I didn't know was that she occasionally had litters. I found out later that she wasn't a full time breeder but occasionally would have a litter that she would take care of as a hobby and give to friends and family. In October I decided to go for it. I decided to take the plunge and get a sphynx. At this point, I still didn't know that Tracy had kittens. My search began with some friends on myspace. The first person I asked said to contact Tracy. I thought that was odd. She never mentioned having any kittens available. Nevertheless, I asked her if she had any kittens to which she replied absolutely. It just so happens that I commented on one of her pictures of how much I would like to have that sphynx as a pet. She said "remember the chocolate you said you liked? Well, he's yours if you want him". I was one happy guy after that. I was high fiving the walls and such. The hard part of finding the sphynx from a reputable person was over and the anticipation began. Tracy said he'd be ready to go right around Christmas. I had alot of fun anticipating his arrival. I found myself strolling through Petsmart and not having a clue what all I needed. Tracy was truly wonderful. She kept me updated each week with photos and stories. She never once demanded anything of me. As Christmas approached a care package arrived with all the necessities to get me started such as food, treats, toys, a very plush bed and she even included a very expensive antibiotic that vets commonly prescribe. Since she's been around cats most of her life she was just about as knowledgeable as a vet. Luckily the antibiotics were not needed. Anyway back to ButterBall. Have you ever heard of a straight guy having fun shopping? Well it happens. Rarely, but it does happen because I actually had fun shopping for little ButterBall in anticipation of his arrival. Well, the day had finally arrived. We agreed the best day would be December 24th. Christmas Eve. I brought my camera with me and filmed my intoduction and ride home from the airport. I have it on my Youtube channel along with many many more sphynx videos. http://www.youtube.com/ElGatoLoco698

Anyway, this story is probably way too long and or boring for most people so I think I'll add only a little more. The past couple of years have been a personal disaster for me. I was suffering from depression and in a spiral to even deeper depression. I went to therapy. I went to a psychiatrist which helped a little but nothing, and I mean nothing, has helped me like my little buddy ButterBall. He could make the devil smile. I'm not the devil and I'm no angel but if you like animals and you are suffering from depression and are capable of the responsibility of adopting a pet, get a sphynx. It has been the single biggest relief I've gotten and I suspect I'm not alone.

Oh, and if you are looking for a well educated 34 year old computer tech/programmer/operating system expert/domain admin/web page programmer in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex I'm available and eager to start a new career.

Well, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. ButterBall has been sleeping most of the day so I'll probably be up most of the night. Until next time, may you lose hair where you don't want it.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
What A great story! The Sphynx is A true love to have in life I got my first last year just before Christmas and was in love instantly! I had to find another and did just after Christmas the same year! My family and I could not belive we ever lived without them they are truly special!

AngelSphynx

Lairian
What A great story! The Sphynx is A true love to have in life I got my first last year just before Christmas and was in love instantly! I had to find another and did just after Christmas the same year! My family and I could not belive we ever lived without them they are truly special!
Many people have said that Sphynx's are like an addiction.. lol

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Many people have said that Sphynx's are like an addiction.. lol
Indeed. I think I may be coming addicted. In fact I'm considering getting another monkey clown. So Angel Sphynx if you ever decide to get some little Ani Skywalker's that you wouldn't mind adopting out, I'd be more than interested. Of course, it won't be about a year or so. Uncle Sam hasn't been to kind to me lately but it can't stay like that forever. then again I may go with a retired breeder. Eh, who knows.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That story was great!! I suffer from depression also and I wouldn't be able to face the world if it wasn't for Meecho. Actually since getting her in December I'm off my Med's!!! Woo Hoo :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow you see what A great thing A pet can do! I have A friend that was going thru the same as you and I told her over and over to get A pet well she got A dog and is now doing great no more meds for her. But A sphynx would have been better. How wonderful they are!::tinysmile_fatgrin_t