Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

A Sphynx in the Sun

GMPLAX23

Lairian
Hey guys! Now that spring is here and the weather is getting warmer (YAY:joyful::woot::happy::LOL:) Tut is wanting to go outside more and more. I have him in a harness and on a lead but i'm wondering how long he should be outside with the sun and the rays. I don't want him to get burnt! Do they get burnt? I don't even know.
But how long is a safe amount of time for a sphynx to be in the sunlight in your opinion?

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They can burn. I would say depends on the UV index for the day, just because it's cloudy doesn't mean it's not harmful.
Hopefully someone has a better answer of a general time! :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
My little girl burned in overcast weather after about 45 minutes. She was wearing a shirt but her head still was burned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Like @Maddie said,it depends on the UV index.After Tut's sunbath,move him under shade or back inside the house

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I allow 15 minutes in direct sunlight and about 45 minutes at dusk in the shade. I usually try to wait until evenings in the Summer to take Max and Min out. It's still light, but we have lots of shade, and the ground is usually still nice and warm from the sun having been out.

When the weather is overcast as it is now in Vancouver, I wait until later afternoon or early evening, and restrict to about a half hour or so. We usually make a pit-stop at one of two homes that love Max to come visit and he wanders around their house for about a half hour or so -- that breaks up being outside.