AAAAARGH! Jack urinating under tree! | Sphynxlair

AAAAARGH! Jack urinating under tree!

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Marnasobsession, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Marnasobsession

MarnasobsessionV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $465.00
    Ratings:
    +795
    First of all this is a Fake tree. I changed out the tree skirt tonight and found out he is peeing on it! He had urinated in that corner once before but I neutralized it. He also has started pooping on the laundry room floor instead in the litter box in there. I clean the litter box 3-4 times a day and have taken the lid off in case it is that. Maizie is great and I have not had any issues. Suggestions?

2. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    How old is Jack?

80% of cases that involve inappropriate urination/defecation are covered under stress or a change in the environment. It may be that Jack is urinating under the tree to "mark" and pooping in the laundry room to signal his distaste with the festive decorations. You stated that you "neutralized" the area, I hope this means that you used an enzymatic cleaner (in both areas) such as Nature's Miracle. Cleaners without enzymatic action often don't work for repetitive offenders. Try using the feliway spray under the tree and in your laundry room. If this persists, you'll need to upgrade to a diffuser.

20% of cases are medically related including urinary tract infections, kidney, liver, thyroid problems, diabetes, etc. Most pets under the age of 1 won't show signs of problems, but male cats are predisposed to crystals and becoming blocked (some at a very young age). If he continues with this behavior, I would advise you to have, at very least, a urinalysis run to determine if you're dealing with a UTI or crystals. Antibiotics while you wait, my favorite is Baytril for cats over 8 months, would be a wise choice.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Maggies mommy

Maggies mommyV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $1,028.16
      Ratings:
      +471
      Good luck I hope they get out of those naughty habits lol ;)

• admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $268,612.94
      Ratings:
      +17,217
      • Pig
      • Venus Fly trap
      • Black Sphynx
      • Skull head
      Have you changed anything like moving the litter box to a different location or anything else related to Jack's "stuff"? I know sometimes people move items like litter boxes, toys etc. to make room for xmas items, and this can cause confusion for the little guys as well.:Dizzy:

• ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $6,040.16
      Ratings:
      +3,086
      • Fish
      • Dragon fly
      • Candy
      This is A long shot but we keep our Christmas stuff in the attic, and sometimes mice find there way in, last year I put the tree skirt under the tree and Leo did the same thing. I washed it before I put it away so thought nothing of it. This year I washed it first so I think I will have better luck!

• Marnasobsession

Sphynx Bucks:
      $465.00
      Ratings:
      +795
      No changes around litter box. It is in the laundry room and he is going poop other places on the floor in there. I did use an enzymatic cleaner but he might have gone behind the tree where the skirt did not cover first. I had used a freshly laundered quilt under the tree and removed it to put the new tree skirt under the tree when I made the discovery. We just bought this house in March and we had the carpets profesionaly cleaned and neutralized becuz there was a small dog here and I found some small spots when we moved in. This is a first for me as my other cats were always meticulous. Thank you for all the suggestions.

• PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $322.00
      Ratings:
      +286
      I'll bet mostly due to stress (which can even take a few days after something has changed for them). Try the feliway spray/diffuser and progress to a UA if that does not help.

Keep us posted :)

• silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $418.61
      Ratings:
      +73
      every once in a while my male poops in the bathtub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tessblack

tessblackBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $3.00
      Ratings:
      +1,130
      Oh I hope you get it sorted. I had a hairy cat years back that started pooping in my luggage. He had a colon that was oversized and the poop would get too big for him to pass. Went through 3 years of enemas and all kinds of meds. Finally got surgery and he was fine. Wish I would have done the surgery right away. I am sure that is not the case with Jack but keep an eye on him. Mine have been great with that so far and next tuesday when company leaves I am starting on toilet training.

Good luck with Jack.

tess

• PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $322.00
      Ratings:
      +286
      For anyone that might want to know, this condition is called Megacolon. And it's common in felines (especially aging males), a condition generally associated with chronic dehydration (the colon suffers because the feces don't move at a correct speed, thus becoming even more dehydrated as it descends the GI tract). This is one of the many reasons why the AVMA is no longer recommending a diet that consists entirely of dry food.

• Sam lewis

Sam lewisV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $6,018.17
      Ratings:
      +735
      • Bear
      • Butterfly 1
      Oh no! Your poor Christmas tree! I hope you find a solution soon!!!

• Marnasobsession

Sphynx Bucks:
      $465.00
      Ratings:
      +795
      I sprayed the feliway stuff today and so far haven't caught him under ther. Ty all for support and advice

• Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $39.00
      Ratings:
      +440
      Hey, I just thought of one more thing...sometimes my three younger cats like to hide out and pounce on Helen when she's coming out of the litter robot. When they follow her into the room where the box is, I've caught her peeing on the floor next to it because she's afraid to go in the robot since she'll get pounced as soon as she comes out.

I'm still trying to figure out how to solve the problem on my end, but is there any chance Jack might be having a similar situation and looking for an alternative (meaning: safer) place to do his business without being harassed?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone has some advice for the issue with my guys attacking Helen when she tries to use the box, I'll happily try it! I have a diffuser in the room with the robot, and the guys are just trying to play with her, but she's not interested... Strangely, though, she always goes in the robot to poop. She only pees outside of it. (or else I haven't found her secret pooping spot yet :Dizzy:)

• PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $322.00
      Ratings:
      +286
      Tell her to carry some mace with her. I hear that works great with unwanted attacks...:LOL:

• Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $39.00
      Ratings:
      +440
      I mentioned it to her, and then she mumbled something about not having opposable thumbs...??

• PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $322.00
      Ratings:
      +286
      Maybe you can put it in one of those ol' school pump perfume bottles?

• silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $418.61
      Ratings:
      +73
      I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone has some advice for the issue with my guys attacking Helen when she tries to use the box, I'll happily try it! I have a diffuser in the room with the robot, and the guys are just trying to play with her, but she's not interested... Strangely, though, she always goes in the robot to poop. She only pees outside of it. (or else I haven't found her secret pooping spot yet :Dizzy:)[/QUOTE]

I am glad you brought that up. I have the same problem. My male River will be dead asleep but as soon as he hears my female digging in the box, he runs up to it and waits for her to come down and then chases her!! (we have our box on top of our washer machine.) he also attacks her when she eats and drinks..... when i see her go to the food bowl, i have to put him in the bedroom so she can eat in peace. i am not sure if he is trying to play, or just being a bad boy!! :Angry: