Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Aaah stains!

for_serious

Lairian
I've been feeding Keano wellness core dry and it was going fine until he got introduced to the rest of the house. Now he LOVES my mom's cat's food, which is healthy cat Purina and the dogs food, which is Iams. He HATES his food now and runs upstairs to find anything else. Why is this?! Wellness core is expensive and my mom wont switch her cat. Is purina a good catfood at all?

And we have another little problem. The little guy gets a messy bum after going number 2 (it IS solid, but wet?). He has had this even before he started eating the other pet's food. I HAVE been giving him pumpkin.. and it helps, but doesnt completely take care of the problem. It's horrible, he makes little poo stains wherever he sits right after going to the bathroom. If I hear him in the litter box in the morning, I have to wake up at the crack of dawn to wipe him with a baby wipe so he doesn't get it in the bed!!! I need a new food that won't give me this problem, and he will possibly like more. I can't do raw because I don't have the schedule, nor the money. Help me guys!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi for_serious,
Sorry to hear about your poop issue. As far as the food change problem, unfortunately in the real world with moms cat and her choice of food, it will drive you crazy trying to control what your kitty will eat in a house with multiple food choice. I do not recommend cats eating dog food. See if mom can feed doggie and put the bowel away so kitty cant eat it. As far as Purina I have never been a big fanatic of what foods better then the other, I have used Science Diet and had nothing but good results. Has your little one had a vet check and have you mentioned the poop issue? That it's a bit wet? It does not sound of a huge concern but a check up and stool culture would not hurt. I s your cat on meds? This can cause wet or runny poop as well.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I occasionally take Butterball over to a friends house. My friend has a chihuahua. It's funny because Butterball eats the dog food and the chihuahua eats the cat food. Anyway, I agree with admin. You may just have to bite the bullet and start feeding kitty Purina. Just give it time. It may take a month or even two for his belly to settle down.

I had the same poopy problem with Ball. It was really disgusting. I'd listen for his litter box rustle and head in with a gas mask and baby wipes. I'd give him a good wiping and hope for the best. Thankfully, he settled down and his issues have all but subsided. Good luck to ya.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are a purina house. I have never had a problem. I can say that the vet had me switch away from anything with "chow" on it to Purina One food and my hairy cat is much more shiney!

There are about 4 varieties of the PO that have a meat listed as the #1 ingredient so I only buy those varieties.

When my sphynxes were small they had the same issue with their bottoms. They were on antibiotics for a long time & this clear a little after that and then more as they grew.

Hope this helps!!:Smile:

for_serious

Lairian
He is on antibiotics, maybe that has something to do with it. I convinced my mom to switch to Wellness, so hopefully that will take one element out of the mix. I'm trying to pick the dog food up whenever I'm home and the dog isn't eating it.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Could you mix the purina with your food? Your kitty might pick out whichever one he likes best but it's worth a shot.

Back