Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

About the food but different question

skudra

Lairian
hi everyone again!
so my baby boy is at home finally.
pics:

I'm feeding him with Specific's (as the seller was) and thought about what can I give him as a treat home made? I've read it's recommended to give raw calf (or lamb?) meat once in a while, but what else, so I didn't need to buy those raw treats (because they're full of conservants and his faeces stink even more). I have a baby girl myself almost year old, and I'm making her food, that's why I came to this question, because it would be better if I could make him something myself once in a while (because hi'd eat anything ::Laugh:). what do you give your lovelies as treats? is it ok to give natural yoghurt with BioLacto bacteries? (wouldn't that improve the faeces?) I know milk is bad for him because of lactose and stuff.

thank you all!

Moonstone

Lairian
Hello ! welcome to you, your baby and your sphynx !

Concerning food, be carefull with this, because you can give him diarrheas easily.
Yogourth is not so good because of lactose.

The cats are carnivores, but needs specific vitamins and food content. If you do not know their needs it is better to give them good quality food for felines.

At least he'd be feeded with all what he needs to become a good adult healthy cat.

PitRottMommy

Banned
First off, what an adorable baby!! I love his little nose!

Raw food is wonderful. Even if you're just giving it as a treat and, yes, it does improve the odor of the stool. Both proteins that you named are fine for a cat.

We feed raw and can't even tell we have 3 cats in our house and we scoop our boxes 1-2 times a week. It just doesn't stink. I cannot find any information on the internet about "Specifics", but I could help you further if you could direct me to a website or something of that sort.

If you're making a homemade diet for your child, you might be interested in making a homemade diet for your Sphynx too. Make sure to do alot of reading about their amino acid requirements (mainly Taurine) before taking this venture on. In general, its cheaper to feed a raw diet that's homemade than it is to feed a quality kibble diet.

As far as a small amount of yogurt, Moonstone is right that any milk-base product can cause diarrhea. If you're concerned about the smell of the feces, probiotics aren't going to do much for you. A change of food is what you'll want there. But you can certainly try the yogurt. 1 tsp/20# is generally the staple amount you'd want to give, especially to a small cat who will be more sensitive to it. Make sure to mix it with food so you don't encourage diarrhea.

Good luck!

skudra

Lairian
oh, I found web- http://www.specific-diets.com
It's recommended as one of the best (what I can buy here in Latvia!) and the main thing I give it to him is because he's just got home to us and the breeder was feeding with it. so, if I change it later, I'll do it slowly.
but I was more interested in giving homemade treats not all raw, because I think I couldn't provide all the needed vitamins and minerals. besides, some day I'm going back to work, and then I won't be all the time with him at home, so it's just not possible to feed him all homemade in my situation.
but as you said- as I'm making for my kid, I could give once in a while something self made (or just raw meat or some vegetables?) to my other kid, too. he's only 2 days at home and already knows where I feed my girl and sits with her and waits for something, too :LOL:

Moonstone

Lairian
What I give sometimes to my sphynxes is a mix of:
rice very very cooked + special kitten milk+ tuna+or chicken +probiotics.

I add sometimes the usual dry food in it.

That is what I give to the kitten when they begin to eat.

they love ! :ThumbsUp:

Attachments

• DSCF8361.jpg
    DSCF8361.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF8307.jpg
    DSCF8307.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF8340.jpg
    DSCF8340.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 19

PitRottMommy

Banned
oh, I found web- http://www.specific-diets.com
It's recommended as one of the best (what I can buy here in Latvia!) and the main thing I give it to him is because he's just got home to us and the breeder was feeding with it. so, if I change it later, I'll do it slowly.
but I was more interested in giving homemade treats not all raw, because I think I couldn't provide all the needed vitamins and minerals. besides, some day I'm going back to work, and then I won't be all the time with him at home, so it's just not possible to feed him all homemade in my situation.
but as you said- as I'm making for my kid, I could give once in a while something self made (or just raw meat or some vegetables?) to my other kid, too. he's only 2 days at home and already knows where I feed my girl and sits with her and waits for something, too :LOL:

Thank you. I couldn't find it. I like the fact that they emphasize what the food does, but they don't include any ingredients on their website (at least that I could find). Remember, just because your breeder was feeding a specific food doesn't mean you have to stick with it--especially if you find something better for your companion or easier to locate and purchase.

As far as vitamins and minerals in a raw diet, there are companies that make it as an additive. All you have to do is add the meat. I, personally, have chosen to feed a manufactured raw diet (Nature's Variety raw rabbit) because I have the same concerns. However, it is much more expensive than kibbled diet. However, again, we don't have any problem with fecal smell. For those that do feed homemade, they usually make a very large batch of it once a month and freeze it. Then, all you have to do is thaw overnight and put it out in the AM. It's just as simple as feeding kibbled diet in that aspect.

If you want to do a treat that will not cause an upset stomach, any sort of raw protein mixed with canned pumpkin will do fine. It's extra fiber, so it's healthy for the digestive tract. We feed canned pumpkin straight out of the container and our cats love it. That, alone, may be a treat that your companion appreciates.

Moonstone mentioned a treat that she likes to feed, remember that raw tuna is better than canned tuna--especially if you're not wanting to increase the malodorous tendencies of feces.

Brooke

Banned
First off, what an adorable baby!! I love his little nose!

Raw food is wonderful. Even if you're just giving it as a treat and, yes, it does improve the odor of the stool. Both proteins that you named are fine for a cat.

We feed raw and can't even tell we have 3 cats in our house and we scoop our boxes 1-2 times a week. It just doesn't stink. I cannot find any information on the internet about "Specifics", but I could help you further if you could direct me to a website or something of that sort.

If you're making a homemade diet for your child, you might be interested in making a homemade diet for your Sphynx too. Make sure to do alot of reading about their amino acid requirements (mainly Taurine) before taking this venture on. In general, its cheaper to feed a raw diet that's homemade than it is to feed a quality kibble diet.

As far as a small amount of yogurt, Moonstone is right that any milk-base product can cause diarrhea. If you're concerned about the smell of the feces, probiotics aren't going to do much for you. A change of food is what you'll want there. But you can certainly try the yogurt. 1 tsp/20# is generally the staple amount you'd want to give, especially to a small cat who will be more sensitive to it. Make sure to mix it with food so you don't encourage diarrhea.

Good luck!

This brings up what may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway...are there any extra precautions that should be taken if feeding a raw diet with a baby in the house?

PitRottMommy

Banned
As long as the owner washes her hands well after handling the diet and all surfaces are cleaned with soap and water, none. Meat, in a normal form, does not have bacteria. That grows as it sets out and warms up. We feed the food slightly frozen. Our cats eat their entire portions within 2 minutes. So it never has a chance to sit out. That being said, as long as her child wasn't handling the food or the food dish, all should be safe.

skudra

Lairian
This brings up what may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway...are there any extra precautions that should be taken if feeding a raw diet with a baby in the house?

it's funny, but I was concerned that my kid would try to touch or put in mouth cat's food because it's on the floor and accessible (she creeps on the floor, doesn't walk jet), but all she does is playing with the water's dish, and doesn't touch the food! but I'm watching her very closely when she's in the kitchen where cat's dishes are anyways.

thanks for suggestions! I surely will try pumpkin!

skudra

Lairian
Thank you. I couldn't find it. I like the fact that they emphasize what the food does, but they don't include any ingredients on their website (at least that I could find).

so, on my kitten food pack ingredients written are:
vegetable protein extract, cereals, fish and fish derivatives, oils and fats, egg and egg derivatives, yeast, minerals, derivatives of vegetable origin, seeds. contains no colours or flavourings.
any comments? I really don't understand yet, what's good and what's bad in foods like this.
(all I know- the less E the better, the more natural products, the better)

Back