Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

About to be a Sphynx Mommy

jenny lugo

Lairian
Hi my name is Jenny and I will be a new Sphynx Mommy the first week in August . His name will be Crambone right now it's Logan . I came across this site hoping to gain more insight and knowledge before our official gotcha day.
FB_IMG_1526875234823~2.jpg

Rae

Lairian
Hey Jenny, I’m Rae.
I got my girl back in July 18 so my girls 10mnths now. What sort of this is it that your looking to know?x

Rae

Lairian
I’ll give you a little of my experience then, I’m a first time Sphynx owner. She’s a complete bundle of energy, always bouncing around the house & off the kids she’s nippy loves play fighting although she’s growing out of this now. She from the beginning to now has always slept in bed with me between my legs As soon as she hears a key in the door she’s straight there seeing us in. X

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@jenny lugo Welcome to Sphynxlair! Your life changes forever when a Sphynx enters your heart/home. Here is a section of the community you might enjoy reading through. Sphynx Cat Help Center

This community is full of newbies and seasoned members, so please feel free to ask any questions. This is a knowledgeable/friendly group.

Rae

Lairian
High maintenance; Regular bathing, ear cleaning and nail trimming. She has ruined my nets climbing but hoping it’s her playfulness right now. She wasn’t fixed no, I do plan to breed her.x

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome! This is a great group with positive vibes and useful information.

Xena

Lairian
Hi Jenny, you will love you new furless baby. I have been putting kitty caps on Xena’s front paws to help protect my furniture and screens. She’s 15 months old now and she’s had them on since I took her home a year ago. Be sure to pick a kitty litter that will be gentle on his paws as he doesn’t have fur to protect between his little toes. I use the small silica crystal litter and she has never had issues with it. Don’t go with the big crystals. It might hurt him

jenny lugo

Lairian
It's still a ways out before I get mine but I'm still excited . I've put the kitty caps on other cats in the past. Hoping to distract his nails from clawing furniture by getting this cat tree. I've asked the breeder what litter she uses so that I can match what she's doing to minimize any issues.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jenny lugo , welcome to the lair family ! Your baby Crambone is adorable! Can't wait for your gotcha day pics!

Kudos to you for researching amd planning
jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch

Ask any questions :) we all learn and grow together
Whether just joined or here for years - we all have something to share

So excited for you !

You will find the Sphynx help center is filled with great info

the top right "search " box on the main page is a great tool too for answers
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of pages for "similar threads"

I have 4 adoptees I trained them to use the scratch posts - I scratch on it , then they do ,then I praise amd give a treat om the scratch post :)
I have several types since they can Have a preference To scratch material

Your tall cat tree is a great idea! They love perching like gargoyles!

The smart cat climber mounts on a door with no screws
It is a favorite here ! Amd has scratch marterial between the shelves
It is like the Sphynx super highway and a great tool to train the, to sit and wait while opening doors!
They are escape artists!

It is common for kitties to come neutered /spayed from the breeder unless purchased as a kitten to be bred in a responsible breeder program.

Great idea to stay with same litter and food when you bring your baby home
Also ask what type of litter box
I suggesr to put out at least 2 litter boxes for one kitty in quiet places easy accessible -
So,e womt care to go all the way to a basement litter box in a multi level home so keep thst in mind -
Set kitty up for succes and lots of praise when he uses the box - I also reinforce with a treat as soon as they leave the litterbox - I stil do it randomly

Male kitties if neutered before maturity do well not spraying .
I have had mostly male kitties all my life .

Lots of members use unscented baby wipes , exfoliating gloves for baths spay day helps hold slippery kitty too!
Hylt shampoo is soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse.

A good ear cleaner wetted on a cotton round to wipe ears out amd precision qTips wetted work great

Lots of great threads to prepare for gotcha day!
Your breeder is a great resource too

Also check your contract to see if there is a 3 day Clause for a wellness check .
Many members schedule a wellness check for gotcha day or the next day -
A poo sample for a fecal test is a good idea too

So much Sphynx fun to learn and share
This is such a womderful community
So glad you joined us!
Looking forward to updates !

Welcome !

jenny lugo

Lairian
I love the idea of using the exfoliating glove to help hold on to my baby! This will be our first male cat, but having him fixed before maturity made us feel easier about the decision and setting him up for success is def the goal

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jenny lugo , many members have leather furniture with no issues
Just when I went for new furniture I opted to try thr micro suede
Lol shopping for the kitties

Keep us updated on baby Crambone!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jenny lugo
Here is a great link we all frequent

Sphynx Cat Help Center
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page of threads