Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Accidentally cut my cat with nail clippers. Very Concerned.

demyan

Lairian
This is the first time I’ve ever cut my cats skin before. I was about to clip the first nail and pressed down half way before he jumped up and ran. He’s always good about his nails being trimmed so I knew something was wrong. I feel horrible I didn’t see the tip of the cutter clip his skin beside the nail. It cut about a millimetre or two deep in a V shape and was gaping. Although it barely bled. I filled a sink with warm water and soaked it but not until about half an hour after cause I was trying to google what to do. I’ve since wrapped his foot with gauze cause I’m worried about it getting infected in the litter box or something until the skin fully heals over. But aside from that, because the clippers are so old. And there is the TINIEST bit of discolouration/not sure about rust on the tip. Should I be worried about tetanus, can cats get that? I’m not sure if I’m overreacting. But he’s my baby :(

Anyone have any advice on first aid or what to do going forward?

I’ve attached a photo of the clippers and his foot. It doesn’t look bad. But it is deep enough if I open the crease. That’s why I’m concerned about bacteria getting inside or tetanus :/
AD314F9C-D2AB-4846-ABC3-01F09EF0DF5A.jpeg
6CE719FB-FD34-4627-B23E-00CBCF477068.png

Last edited:

demyan

Lairian
The best way I describe it is the red line is like a flap that lifts up a bit and shows flesh underneath :/

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I read tetanus is rare in cats. If it does not look red/swollen I’d just keep a close eye on it. These guys heal fast, but because of their feet in the litter box you need to watch it and clean the box out as often as possible. If any changes, I’d see the vet.

demyan

Lairian
Thank you! Yeah I woke up less worried today. I noticed the photo colours are darkened once I uploaded it so it’s hard to see it was quite red but it was still bloody at the time. He’s definitely had worse cuts before but never on his foot. The foot wrap wouldn’t stay on so I’m just gonna try washing him a few times a day and hope nothing gets under the skin.

MeadowThorne

Lairian
You can always use styptic powder great to have for humans n animals. flour can stop bleeding not best thought. Over 40 years of clipping claws it happens to the best of us. He will clean it naturally n just wash it daily if he gets dirty ..good luck poor kiddo

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hugs for you. I know how awful you can feel when you accidently hurt them. Good advice given. Hope it heals fast.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It happens to the best of us. I use regular fingernail clippers on Agnes' nails. I agree with having the styptic powder on hand just in case. You can get it at any of the local pet stores. If you don't have it on hand cornstarch also works.

1568152109724.png

Sheldon13

Staff member
Definitely an accident that could (and does) happen to anybody. I have not particularly done this one myself, but I did hurt my baby pretty bad once and felt awful. I was playing with her with a feather on a long rod and whacked the CRAP out of the top of her head. She ran immediately to her crate (which she never gets in voluntarily) and wouldn’t come out for hours and hours. Once she did I made sure she knew how sorry I was. I think it mostly just scared her. Didn’t actually leave a mark. But of course I was bawling like a baby. This kind of stuff does just happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back