Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Accidents

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Today, Buster had an accident. This has happened about three times before (all very spread out occasions). Once in a while, Buster will (usually when he's asleep) accidentally wet the bed and wake up very nervous and scared. He'll run off the bed and meow very oddly & loudly for a while after. This time, he was awake when it happened. He was about to leave the bed when he stopped and seemed to shake a bit, I then noticed that he was having an accident. He left the bed when he was done and had his weird meowing noises for a bit. I can tell that during these times he can't control it because he is very good with the litter box and never had any accidents growing up. Has anyone else had this experience? It doesn't happen frequently, only once every few months. I want to take him to the vet this week. I feel so bad when it happens because I can tell he gets very nervous afterwards.

ozeMvjR.png

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless his heart, he handsome.
I would take him to the Vet. Something is going on.
Please let us know. Praying for your baby.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@BusterTheCat I really don't want to scare you, but it sounds like some sort of seizure disorder. Your vet may want Buster to see a neurologist. I hope I'm wrong, but from your description of things, it sounds that way to me.

Is there anything else that is different that he's doing? Is he drinking more water, eating less? Anything else you can think of so you can tell the vet everything when you go.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If you by chance see it happen again, try to video tape it for your vet. Try to also share dates and the length of the incidents, and details with them. I agree it could be neurological. Good luck at the vet...I will be looking for updates.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
I definitely agree with a vet visit and video if possible -
(I was so stressed when my girl had stuff going on and didn't get a chance to video)
Does he have any other signs/symptoms? Body temperature changes on his rear legs ?
Any temporary paralysis ? Is it s gutteral type meowing?

He is such a good handsome boy and I send prayers you get answers for him

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom @Catzzzmeow @GoldHazel Oh no, I never thought about that! Oh I hope it's not that serious! I haven't noticed any other symptoms, everything else seems normal. @Yoda mom, It does sound like a gutteral meow. Like it's deeper and has a worried feel to it. I will definitely be taking him to the vet.

Edit: He does seem completely conscious during it (well this time, the other times he was sleeping). And by the shaking, I meant more of a "trying to hold it in" and nervous shaky-ness. The times when he was asleep, I didn't notice any shaky-ness. But then again, I do know that it's common to lose control of one's bladder during seizures. I hope he's alright.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@BusterTheCat , checking in on Mr Buster-
Please give him lots of love smooches and know we are here for you -

I think it is a good idea you are scheduling a vet visit -
It does appear to be a possible seizure / partial seizure disorder I would ask the vet to rule out -
The vet will give a diagnosis and treatment plan -
Please keep us updated often ..
All lair babies are family and we worry as one of our own

Lots of positve vibes sent !

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sending hugs to you and Buster. I hope it turns out to be nothing. Keep us posted.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@BusterTheCat I personally would never trust a regular vet to fully dx and Rx meds to my pets for a neurological disorder. Just like with humans, I'd never totally trust a regular doctor to dx or Rx for a neurological disorder in me, my children, etc.

You do probably have to "start" by going to your regular vet or can you call him or her and explain what is going on exactly? He or she may send you right to a neurologist for Buster.

I'm praying everything will be fine. My thoughts are with you and Buster. Please let us know what's going on. HUGS

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear of this.
Sending you and Buster many hugs and positive thoughts. Hoping you and the vet can figure out what is going on.
HUGS!! And head smooches to Buster.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Could also be a UTI. I'd try to get a urine sample for your vet and get him checked out ASAP. Urine infections can cause burning and urgency which can cause incontinence, which is why it might be happening on waking up as he doesn't realise early enough that he needs to pee. Ask for bloods to check kidney function and get his urine tested. Hopefully it's something simple that a course of antibiotics will cure quickly.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Poor you and Buster. Lots of great advice above. Please let us know what an investigation yields. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, and am sending positive vibes.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope it's a simple thing that can be taken care of easily. Hugs to you and Buster.
How is he?

Back