Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Acute vomiting

zmoore

Lairian
I have an 8 month old kitty and a day and a half ago he started vomiting. At first I assumed he ate his brother's food too and was just throwing up because of that, but it continued every few hours and started to be just bile. I brought him to the vet who gave us prescription food to see if it'd settle his stomach (no fever and she said his stomach felt soft and fine).

He's still eating the food and doesn't seem to have diarrhea but he keeps throwing it up and has gotten lethargic (likely due to the lack of food getting into his system). He also does this whole-body gagging/spasm thing like he's going to throw up, even when he doesn't.

The vet said it could take a day or two for the medicine to work, but I'm afraid he ate a rubber band or something. Has anyone had their sphynx show symptoms like this and have it pass? I'd rather not pay for emergency room X-rays if I don't have to but I'm worried!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Once a cat gets lethargic, you know something is wrong as they hide pain very well. You are risking the chance of even worse happening if you wait too long. By now your baby is probably dehydrated. I would get back to your vet and get subcutaneous fluids as well as the X-ray. Please update us and Lair Prayers go out to your baby that they feel better quickly. @zmoore

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This happened to Bella, she had ingested 24 inches of string. I took her to vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Ended up at emergency vet where she had surgery. I agree with @Catzzzmeow get fluids and xray.

zmoore

Lairian
This happened to Bella, she had ingested 24 inches of string. I took her to vet and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Ended up at emergency vet where she had surgery. I agree with @Catzzzmeow get fluids and xray.
That's what I was afraid of. The vomiting has slowed down but he's been sleepier than usual. Looks like there is probably an ER visit in my plans for the evening.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zmoore , definitely agree with the vet visit - better sooner than later especially with lethargy. It's his way of saying something is not right :(
My vet discusses our options during the visit -
We start with the minimum an x Ray , check hydration and we make a plan from there

Dehydration and or/blockages can be life threatening .
We are all sending Positve vibes!
These kitties are notorious for ingesting stuff they should not -
You mentioned you are afraid he ate a rubber band or something -
Go with your gut

Were you able to call your original vet before their office closed today?

Here is a good video - your vet can show you in office how to do it so you can monitor him once he is home after his vet visit -

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zmoore , oh sweetie .. A lair full of positive vibes sent! Prayers nothing serious
Please keep us updated ! We worry like one of our own -
All babies here are family !

zmoore

Lairian
@zmoore , definitely agree with the vet visit - better sooner than later especially with lethargy. It's his way of saying something is not right :(
My vet discusses our options during the visit -
We start with the minimum an x Ray , check hydration and we make a plan from there

Dehydration and or/blockages can be life threatening .
We are all sending Positve vibes!
These kitties are notorious for ingesting stuff they should not -
You mentioned you are afraid he ate a rubber band or something -
Go with your gut

Were you able to call your original vet before their office closed today?

Here is a good video - your vet can show you in office how to do it so you can monitor him once he is home after his vet visit -
I tested his hydration and he's actually pretty hydrated. We did get him to drink water and eat food last night and he hasn't thrown up since then. He's also up and moving around a lot more and I even caught him playing with his brother. I called my normal vet who had already seen him and said that it sounds like he's on the mend and only recommends we go to the ER if the vomiting starts back up or if he develops diarrhea/additional symptoms.

I think my little guy is getting better! Still keeping a watchful eye on him and thank you all for your help.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've done x-rays for things where I didn't want to take a bigger risk. There's a set of 3 pictures they do which costs about $225 in my area. I wouldn't want to do it every month but once in a while doesn't crush me. Vomitting over and over is a huge red flag....something to keep in mind for the future.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to hear he stopped vomiting and feels a lot better. Sending healing vibes.