Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

adding a new family member--questions!

HenlesMom

Lairian
Hi all!

We're thinking about adding a new kitten to our family. We have had Henle for almost a year now! In June, we are both going to start working 60-80 hours a week, and we would love for Henle to have a playmate to keep him company.

How did you guys decide when it was time for a new kitten? How did you decide to get a sphynx versus another breed? How did you know the new member would fit in with the current family?

Thanks!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I knew that I didn't/still don't want cat hair in my house so it was always going to be a sphynx.
I has adopted a very timid retired breeder and I was hoping that bring a kitten into the house would help to bring her out of her shell. I was right it did .. now I kinda wish she would maybe go halfway back in she's a little too OUT THERE lmao

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I always thought it made sense to have 2 so they could keep each other company. It's not double the work since you're already scooping litter and all that fun stuff. What you do need to be ready for is double the cost, especially vet bills.

I don't think there's any rule that says you have to get the same breed. Just get 2 cats that have the same level of energy. But I agree that not having cat hair is a huge plus. To think I can have guests over and not have to worry about cat hair on the furniture. Or wear black and sit on a chair and not worry about it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HenlesMom wow time flies

I must say that is by far on of the best Halloween pics!
Lol mine hate dress up

I have four nakid adoptees
(A slush fund fo vet bills amd a care credit card in my wallet for vet emergencies )

The weird thing is the resident Bengal who was buddies with my first sphynx wantd nothing to do with the nakids I adopted After Yoda passed away - she prefers the company of the dogs
sleeps and plays with dogs

that being said , I really think it depends on Henle’s personality
Outgoing , introvert etc

It’s all a crap shoot but I must say my quad squad of adoptees came at different ages and all are very bonded -

Many members nakids get along great with a fur kitty -
Not sure if you have a sphynx lined up already or a fur kitty in mind?

Your long hours start by in June so if it were me now would be the time so you have time to do a slow introduction - so,e kitties hot it off immediately but I always use a kitty safe room

Keep us updated !

I used to work long hours with long commute and did get the kitties company

Hesd smooches to Handsome Henle !

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Henle looks ferocious! Hahaha. I like the idea of having two kitties especially if you’re away a lot. At least they have each other. I would suggest getting the second well before you begin working so much so you can transition the new kitty with Henle.

HenlesMom

Lairian
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

We have mostly been looking at adopting a fur kitty so that we could start the introduction process ASAP.. BUT we LOVE Henle's personality and would love to have another sphynx in the house.

Henle is very extroverted, loves cuddling, follows us around everywhere, and is very smart. He met my parents' dog a while ago and they became fast friends, so I am less worried about him and more about getting the cat with a good personality to match him. (parents' dog- KODA- picture attached!!)

I will keep you posted on what we decide!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have three nekkids in the house. I'm the kind of crazy cat lady that I could easily fill my house with them, just because I love the breed. We work too so it was never a question about having just one. I've lost two last spring so all of my babies are still young and drain each others energies while playing. But I also know of people who only have one. It's individual since they are so different. Good luck and keep us posted!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Most sphynx are very easy in becoming buddies with another fourlegged critter. I don’t think it matters if it’s a fur or non fur buddie. Keep us updated on what you decide

bebbiemouse

Lairian
I knew that I didn't/still don't want cat hair in my house so it was always going to be a sphynx.
I has adopted a very timid retired breeder and I was hoping that bring a kitten into the house would help to bring her out of her shell. I was right it did .. now I kinda wish she would maybe go halfway back in she's a little too OUT THERE lmao
This is hysterical and great

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh wow, you got a furbaby! I also have a nakid and a furbebe. Let me know if yours love to sleep together. My furbaby likes the cold so she and her nakid sister never fight for sleeping or play areas. I think they balance each other out. One sheds so u have to brush but is low maintenance as no showering needed. The other higher maint but no fur, not a fussy eater and very easy to bathe and clean. Best of both worlds. Congrats!

Back