Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adding to food daily

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know there has been a bazillion threads about pumpkin, but I recently tried it yesterday and George's poo is solid!!! Should pumpkin only be given when a cat has diarrhea and then stopped once the poo is solid? Or can it be given daily after the poo becomes solid? I gave George a teaspoon yesterday and a very tiny bit today.

Brooke

Banned
Woohoo!! Another solid pumpkin pooper!! :ThumbsUp::LOL:

From what pitrottmommy has told me, (hopefully she'll come on and confirm) you keep feeding the pumpkin with every meal, even after it firms up. Obviously he needs that extra fiber in his diet. Way to go, George!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
YAY!!! Mo and George have found the answers to their poo dreams! LOL PUMPKIN! I was wandering the same thing too since I started Mo on the pumpkin.

I think it is ok to give a small amount everyday. I hope it doesn't stop working! It's great stuff. I managed to find a chicken and pumpkin combined cat food that is ready to feed in tins. So I plan on keeping Mo on that. Its called Applaws, do you have it in the US? Its very good.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Brooke's right, feeding pumpkin daily is just fine. Especially if the pet is having diarrhea anyhow. The only problem with relying entirely on pumpkin for solid poop is that you have no idea why the unsolid poop started...and if you need a "back up plan" to help, you're back to square one or behind where you were to start with. I'd address this concern first and then use the pumpkin as needed. If it's just a random bout of diarrhea that you're hoping to solve, pumpkin does a great job.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Brooke's right, feeding pumpkin daily is just fine. Especially if the pet is having diarrhea anyhow. The only problem with relying entirely on pumpkin for solid poop is that you have no idea why the unsolid poop started...and if you need a "back up plan" to help, you're back to square one or behind where you were to start with. I'd address this concern first and then use the pumpkin as needed. If it's just a random bout of diarrhea that you're hoping to solve, pumpkin does a great job.

I figured out what George's diahrrhea problem was from.... He keeps sneaking the other cats food when I let him downstairs. I cannot wait until we move into the new house and he wont have to deal with the other cats being mean to him and their food. Sophie(Shawn's parent's cat) is on K/d due to a bad heart/kidneys.(She nearly died 4 years ago) That is the food George sneaks. I try my hardest to shoo him away from it, but its hard chasing him down with crutches when I am the only one home. I've also tried to put the bowls up when I let George downstairs, but that royally p's off the other cats and Shawn's parents.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay for the solid poo! I bet it is difficult in your situation to stop those kitties from harassing each other and each others food. Hopefully all goes well.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Has anybody tried Soulistic chicken and pumkin formula? I was thinking about going for this because it already has the pumpkin mixed in and it is grain free...

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has anybody tried Soulistic chicken and pumkin formula? I was thinking about going for this because it already has the pumpkin mixed in and it is grain free...

I tried it one time when it was on sale at PetCo. My cats seemed to like it okay...well, all three of them ate it so it must have been good-tasting. I didn't notice any difference with their stools after they ate it as none of them had loose stools at the time.

Back