Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Adopt don't buy"

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sure all of us heard that plenty of times.
Well, we managed to acclimatize Jezzy to the two dogs who are visiting here atm. (Well, they are leaving tomorrow, but they've been here over 3 weeks.)
So I put out some feelers about adopting a dog.
I said either a quiet older dog who is used to cats, or a puppy that can be trained.
I elaborated that I have horses, a donkey, 5 chickens, 1 barn cat and 3 indoor cats...and it needs to be a decent size (Yorkies need not apply) because I want it to be a bit of a deterrent, and not be yappy. So, nothing that will chase and kill chickens, or chase horses/cats etc.
Hoboy.
I am clearly a monster.
Apparently I am "asking too much of a dog" and "shouldn't be allowed to have one" and "wouldn't let 'this person' have a dog under any circumstances" etc etc etc. I'm getting it from all sides atm.
Bearing in mind that the rescues over here ask upwards of €250 for a dog, so it's not like it's free.

And here I was, thinking if I am up front with what I'm looking for, it can narrow down the search...
So atm, I've decided not to bother at all. Ergo, whichever dog may have been suitable...will continue to look for a home.
Quite frankly, I've had it with rescues. It was the same thing in the UK. Whatever you're after, you're basically not good enough to adopt an animal. But sure, continue to whine about kennel space, overcrowding, feed bills, vet bills etc.
Not. A. Penny. from me. Nothing, nada, squat.
Done. I am so done.

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's crazy - rescues are always harping on about nobody wanting older dogs and how they spend the most time in the centres because everyone wants puppies. I think they can afford to be 'picky' about who gets dogs at the moment because there's such a demand due to Covid. Let's see if they're still as fussy when everyone is back at work and dumping their animals back in the rescues. For what it's worth, I think you'd be a great dog mum.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t think there is any thing wrong with specifying your needs. Do they want a bad fit and certain return to the rescue? I just don’t get it.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I think many rescue places don’t want to hear about your wishes and just wish people would rescue period. I think it is great you know the dynamics of your crew and a best fit for all parties. When you find that right baby you will give it a forever home like the rest of your crew and that is awesome.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Meanwhile, at "Chez Juppi" (as a friend of mine calls it)....
There is a new "Statue" on the mantlepiece, because I've put up the big display cabinet in the corner (and strung lights in it lol), there's a moggy camped out under 3 fleeces on the sofa (because it's so terribly cold with a roaring fire going) and one is in front of the fire, roasting herself.
20201015_170245.jpg

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Love the Breyer Collection
Thank you. I'm actually waiting for a whole bunch to come from the US, but my friend is sick and can't get to the post office.
And there's a 70th Anniversary model I'm waiting for, that was pre-ordered almost a year ago now... I believe they were finally delivered to the UK, so that might arrive soon too.
Still looking for a black, and a white CAM, but so far no luck... (I love that mold, it was the first Breyer I had.)
Oh and my Dad found a few when they were moving, to those should arrive some time too -- hence needing a big cabinet!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Thank you. I'm actually waiting for a whole bunch to come from the US, but my friend is sick and can't get to the post office.
And there's a 70th Anniversary model I'm waiting for, that was pre-ordered almost a year ago now... I believe they were finally delivered to the UK, so that might arrive soon too.
Still looking for a black, and a white CAM, but so far no luck... (I love that mold, it was the first Breyer I had.)
Oh and my Dad found a few when they were moving, to those should arrive some time too -- hence needing a big cabinet!
I just looked up the 70th anniversary piece...gorgeous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
adorable pics! yup, don't they love knocking stuff over to see our reactions!

love the breyer collection. sadly my aunt stole them all from my storage box for her grandkids. my two favs a donkey and old timer with the yellow hat your collection is amazing.

1602864673439.png

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
adorable pics! yup, don't they love knocking stuff over to see our reactions!

love the breyer collection. sadly my aunt stole them all from my storage box for her grandkids. my two favs a donkey and old timer with the yellow hat your collection is amazing.
Ohh I like the old "Old Timer" and I'm looking for a "Brighty" (The sitting donkey) because...
20191230_Sitting.jpg

Timmy does that.

There are a few that aren't in the cabinet yet (Resins, not Breyer), and a couple wrapped up as they are actual unpainted resins. (One is the sleeping Sphynx I got)

Yoda mom

Staff member
wow stunning!!! yes, definitely need Brighty! the resin is gorgeous! cant wait to see the sphynx too! you have a beautiful collection.

hugs head smooches to all paws and hooves! I am sooo happy Timmy found his forever home with you! you are his angel!