Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting a Declawed Sphynx in Boston area

Haileykwells

Lairian
Hello,

I am unsure of where to find a Sphynx that has already been declawed. I understand its against alot of peoples views. I am not asking to hurt a cat. I just would like to adopt one that has already been declawed. For me to get another cat it has to be hairless and declawed. Regardless I've always wanted a Sphynx.

Haileykwells

Lairian
Can I ask why you want a declawed cat?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Yes,
I love cats believe me! My father whom I live with is not a pet person but since I adopted a declawed tabby cat he is all into cats now. He is a plumber and one of his customers had a few Sphynx cats and he agreed that would be our next cat. Believe me I have tried to convince him that I could do all these other methods instead of getting a declawed cat, but our first cat like 15 years ago really damaged the house. So I turned to adoption, because I am not looking to declaw the cat neccesarily. But, why not adopt one? They need homes too!

The attachment is my sweet tabby girl!

Attachments

• 2019121295180054.jpg
    2019121295180054.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 15

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It is hard to find a rescue Sphynx and with how declawing has become very controversial and considered very detrimental to the welfare of a cat, I would think it is going to be very difficult to find one. Years ago like you mention about 15+ years ago many people did it, but as more information came back about it and many laws prohibiting and some vets won’t even do it. Did you consider buying nail-caps to put over the nails?
4CD554A2-0662-4D9A-87DD-DD588EF2804D.jpeg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Could you wait to get a sphynx when you get your own place?

I'm one of those people that used to declaw, but I now understand why it's wrong. But not only that, I was clueless about how to furnish the house and I learned. My cats do not tear any of my furniture now because I learned what to buy. That said, I think if your father is dead set against it, trying to convince him would be pointless.

Last edited:

Haileykwells

Lairian
It is hard to find a rescue Sphynx and with how declawing has become very controversial and considered very detrimental to the welfare of a cat, I would think it is going to be very difficult to find one. Years ago like you mention about 15+ years ago many people did it, but as more information came back about it and many laws prohibiting and some vets won’t even do it. Did you consider buying nail-caps to put over the nails? View attachment 102106
Yes I have asked my father and even bought these. They're cool but he doesn't except it.

Haileykwells

Lairian

I'm one of those people that used to declaw, but I now understand why it's wrong. But not only that, I was clueless about how to furnish the house and I learned. My cats do not tear any of my furniture now because I learned what to buy. That said, I think if your father is dead set against it, trying to convince him would be pointless.
Yes, I agree. And yes maybe in a few years. My mother wants another cat badly. I was hoping somehow out of luck. That I would find some connection to this perfect cat somehow.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I agree. And yes maybe in a few years. My mother wants another cat badly. I was hoping somehow out of luck. That I would find some connection to this perfect cat somehow.
Oh you could absolutely get lucky! So you don't have to stop looking, just don't get your hopes up. It would be a little bit like playing the lottery and not expecting to win - if you do win it's awesome (!!!) but if you don't it's OK too.

In the meantime you can learn about the breed. Maybe go to a cat show if there's one near you. By the time you are ready to bring home your own Sphynx you will already know what to expect. When the time is right, it will happen {=

Haileykwells

Lairian
Oh you could absolutely get lucky! So you don't have to stop looking, just don't get your hopes up. It would be a little bit like playing the lottery and not expecting to win - if you do win it's awesome (!!!) but if you don't it's OK too.

In the meantime you can learn about the breed. Maybe go to a cat show if there's one near you. By the time you are ready to bring home your own Sphynx you will already know what to expect. When the time is right, it will happen {=
Thank you great advice!! I'm hoping for some luck!! My current cat was perfect timing. Who doesnt love a fur baby or a beautiful sweet Sphynxlair. I love cats!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’ve only ever seen one Sphynx up for adoption that was declawed, and he had a lot of behavior issues because if it (especially litter box issues). That’s in the 6 years I’ve been in this Sphynx world. So they do exist, they are just really uncommon. Honestly, Any declawed cat up for adoption is becoming more and more uncommon. Even the furry ones. Does your dad understand what declawing really is?

Haileykwells

Lairian
I’ve only ever seen one Sphynx up for adoption that was declawed, and he had a lot of behavior issues because if it (especially litter box issues). That’s in the 6 years I’ve been in this Sphynx world. So they do exist, they are just really uncommon. Honestly, Any declawed cat up for adoption is becoming more and more uncommon. Even the furry ones. Does your dad understand what declawing really is?

That's good for the cats! Bad for my situation. Yeah I agree it is really hard to find a declawed cat. I live an hour south of boston. And I had to find a adoption organization in Georgia!! Just to get a happy, declawed, and tabby girl. I know it is going to be near impossible!

Clawsbykattt

Lairian

Can I ask what you use to protect your furniture I’m 100% against declawing and the caps don’t work on my cat so I just gave up she can rip whatever she wants it’s the price you pay when you have a cat but if I want to buy some new furniture and I want to make it last a little longer

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can I ask what you use to protect your furniture I’m 100% against declawing and the caps don’t work on my cat so I just gave up she can rip whatever she wants it’s the price you pay when you have a cat but if I want to buy some new furniture and I want to make it last a little longer
Oh I've been there! I can give you some ideas and you can see what works with your decorating style.

Microfiber is the best at resisting scratching. It has a velvety surface that cat claws can't penetrate. AT ALL. It can get dirty though. I have a light beige microfiber sofa and I ended up putting a cover on it, which defeats the purpose. If my sofa had removable cushion covers that could go in the washing machine, it would be perfect.

Mohair (similar to velvet) is another fabric that I have always heard is resistant to scratching. I have heard velvet in general is good for cats, but if it were me I would only get a thick synthetic velvet or mohair. Synthetic doesn't sound sexy but it's made to be durable. Mohair for what it's worth is not synthetic....it's natural. Just be forewarned, mohair is more expensive.

I think high quality synthetic leather is another option. I say this because I have a couple of synthetic leather chairs that the cats have not put so much as a single dent in. Years ago I had a real leather sofa that ended up full of pock marks. I found my faux leather chairs in a vintage shop and the shop owner had to tell me they weren't real leather; I can't even tell the difference. The material is pretty thick and it has a texture like real leather. The price I paid was a steal; in fact, I was expecting the cats to tear them up but since the price was so cheap I figured what the heck. And 2.5 years later here they are without a single pock mark.

Whatever you do don't buy cheap leather; I had a couple of bar stools made with the "leather look" and they got destroyed. The cats used to jump on them just to scratch them.

It's important to provide scratching alternatives so they leave your furniture alone. I have cardboard scratchers in every room but they are small and just lay on the floor. I also bought a pair of ottomans made from seagrass for the living room. I figured the cats might like to scratch them but I didn't want cat trees in the living room. Sure enough the cats like to scratch on the ottomans, but they are only ottomans. These are the ones I bought:
www.amazon.com/MagJo-Natural-Woven-Poufs-Hutton/dp/B06XDFHWYW/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=mag-jo+ottoman+seagrass+and+corn+husk&qid=1608230954&sr=8-13

I got the ottomans used for half price but they were like new. I think it's when people return them amazon can't sell them as new anymore. You just have to keep circling until you see they're available. Don't be afraid to buy used when you're furnishing for cats in case the thing doesn't last.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh wow that ottoman is AWESOME! I’m definitely keeping my eye out for a sale.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Oh yea I like them a lot. When they are sold from amazon warehouse they have been marked down half price and I can't tell that there's anything wrong with them. You can layer a throw on it and dress it up too. The cats scratch on the sides.

Breeze

Lairian

Also velvet type material furniture they don’t like to scratch at. I have a couple sets and they leave them alone.
Edited to add: Meant to post to the OP. Oops.

Back