Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting a Retired Breeder?

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Who has experience with adopting a retired breeder? Do you use the same guidelines as for buying a kitten from a cattery? What are some good ways to investigate the cattery if their website has been down a few years? Are the cats usually altered before they leave?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
You can do a Google search on the cattery and see what comes up. If she a retired breeder you would think they would have spayed her for fear of Pyometra. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure others will chime in. I know there are several members with retired breeders in here. Reputable breeders do neuter/spay before a retired cat goes to their forever home. It is too risky that someone would start breeding them and it protects the breeder’s lines and reputation.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I adopted a retired breeder two years ago, my girl Jade. I live in the Netherlands, a tiny country, so can only tell how it goes here.

I saw Jade's photo on a "selling website". I contacted the breeder and she invited me to come over, see Jade and talk together. Just to get to know eachother so we could both see if their was a match. She showed me the papers of Jade, showed me she was tested on HCM and showed me how many litters she did have. Asked me a ton of questions too cause she wanted to be sure Jade would get a loving home. This all gave me a good feeling about the breeder. She was and is also very active on fb so I could read all the comments of the owners of several litters. They were all positive. I paid the money when I actually took Jade to my home and got all her papers with me.
Jade was neutered before she came to me.

Hope this helps you a little.

Oh and I'm very happy with my girl Jade. I love her so much, such a purrfect little girl she is.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I adopted a retired breeder coming up on 4 years ago now.
She wasn't in the greatest shape when I got her and I have had to do a lot of work to turn her into the healthy, outgoing, outspoken little diva she is today.

You can do a google search to see if anything comes up on the breeder.
It can be hard to tell sometimes when a cat is older exactly what you are walking into.

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the replies!

This cat I'm interested in is an 8 year old boy. The cattery hasn't been active for a few years but they were registered with TICA, had a couple Champions in their program, and I like what I saw on their FB page.

I'm anxiously awaiting for them to email me a picture of this boy and more information. Then I will reply with my introduction so they can let me know if they think their boy will be a good fit with my family.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@carakitty Keep us updated often

Ask for health vet records to look over ,
I kindly request them to email me the records
Ask if HCM scanned ,neutered? Any heart murmurs detected by vet ? tummy, eye skin or poo issues?

Ask if he is a urine "sprayer " , if ever had URI , UTI, etc
Ask how well kitty gets along with other kitties , pets , kids etc

I always ask what is kittties worst habit and sweetest habit

I ask them to please be honest for the sake of a purrfect forever home fit-
This can vary by individuals personal moral compass .
I ask lots of questions - it's a life long decision

Personally , I am more considered with current health status, personality rather than champion lines/showing.

Lways go with your gut :)

I have 4 sphynx adoptees - one a retiree

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom I dropped a fairly quick message today describing (as briefly as possible) my family situation to see if he would be a good fit for us. She got back pretty quickly to say that she thinks he will be a good fit and pictures will be sent before the weekend is over.

When the pics are sent I will be asking more questions. You mentioned some things I hadn't thought of!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm going nuts waiting for this lady to get back to me! On one hand, I want to put down a deposit for this boy right now. On the other hand I do know it would be wise to verify more information first. Please cross your fingers and paws that I hear from her tonight with pictures like she said she would! And that the Sphynx stars might finally align in my favor? :angelic:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending lots of positive vibes. Hope you did find a reputable breeder and you'll soon have your own sphynx to love. Fingers and paws crossed

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the vibes @Toa and Ross I really appreciate them! After my family has dinner (we eat late, around 7pm) I am going to ask about the deposit if I haven't heard from her yet. Or will that be annoying and overbearing?

Sld4064

Lairian
I adopted a retired breeder who was 4 he was amazing - full pedigree from tica but had borderline hcm- he was super sweet and lived a long life with me- good luck!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not yet. My awesome hubby is now making dinner and I will send the breeder a message after we eat if she hasn't e-mailed me. Or would that be too pushy?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Not yet. My awesome hubby is now making dinner and I will send the breeder a message after we eat if she hasn't e-mailed me. Or would that be too pushy?

That's not too pushy! It's called "pleaaaaase I want a sphynx so badly and I can't wait any longer":).
Did you hear from the breeder? Do hope so!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I got an update!!

I called the number listed on the lady's FB page during my lunch and left a message.

The lady called me back, apologized for being elusive and told me about some health issues her father was having.

The boy is still available and she still thinks he might be a good fit for us. She requested that I call her tomorrow afternoon and that is exactly what I am going to do!

Keep on keeping those fingers and paws crossed for me please? :happy:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Another update! :D

I talked to the lady today and she gave me a full rundown on the boy. She was intending to keep him in her family but her girl cats are being too bossy with him and bully him so much he needs to be sequestered when there's no humans home. Poor boy :(

He is a Velcro kitty, very sweet natured, and likes to groom his people. I reviewed his health history and he's a healthy boy and his vet records will follow him. He has been HCM negative his whole life. He eats a raw diet.

I told her more about my furry girls and the humans. She seemed happy with our scene here.

Still no pictures yet. But I think my Gotcha Day is on the horizon! We need to hammer out our crazy schedules and solidify the pick up date but did set a tentative date.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! :D

Back