Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting a Second Sphynx

Ripley

Lairian
So here's my plight. I have Sphyncter, a wonderful male sphynx that arrived at our home just over a week ago. I had no interest in owning a cat, much less a hairless one, but my husband brought him home with a sad story of his owners leaving town. He is 9 months old. He was very dirty and I believe underfed because he is so thin. His backbone and ribs are showing. I have cleaned him and completely fallen in LOVE! My understanding is that there were 3 more sphynx at the home. They were taken in by a friend of my husband's. One was given to their vet (whew!) which leaves two with my husband's friend. The friend really doesn't want the cats and has told my husband that the male "is spraying all over the house". I believe these two are adults and were supposed to be a breeding pair, but I'm not sure. I did receive copies of CFA papers for Sphyncter, although I have no interest in breeding or showing and plan to have him neutered. He has an appointment tomorrow for his first vet check. I am considering taking in the female from the friend so that Sphyncter has another sphynx to live with, but hate to leave the male alone, however I don't think I can handle him spraying in my house. That would at least give a home to one more and perhaps then we can find a home for the last one. Anyone out there with advice?

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would start by getting them all fixed right away and see if the spraying continues, you may get to keep 3!!! Put a bunch of felaway plugs in your home too, that may help with the spaying :ThumbsUp:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The spraying will stop after he is fixed.
Could take a few days or a week or two but it will stop.

There are some few exceptions but it is very rare and normally even those stop after a while.

If you want and feel you can handle 3 sphynx cats I'd go for that. :)
But only if you are sure as can be that you will keep them for the rest of their lives.

TotenEngel

Banned
agreed with the above, but even more so if you are thinking of taking the female! Off with those balls!!

Inferno12

Banned
I agree with everyone! Get them all fixed and take them in :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

The male is territorial and is in a new place so do you blame him for claiming his territory? I would try to the felaway and "off with the balls"

Good for you for wanting another and how can you not fall in love with one of these nakeds???

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I agree take them all and have them altered.
The male may not stop spraying my brother has 2 altered boys that spray everything including him so having them altered does not always help.
It is worth a try though.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you can take in all 3, I would spay/neuter them all and give it a try. I haven't used the feliway plugs but I have heard great stories about how quickly they can lower anxiety levels. The boy who is spraying could be stressed not only by being rehomed, but you mentioned your Sphynx wasn't in the best condition so their previous home my have been a stressful place too, then they were all separated. Perhaps all they need is some time in a stable home. And in the meantime I highly recommend Nature's Miracle; it really does work miracles when it comes to removing cat urine odors. Good luck.

gizmo6370

Banned
Have them all spayed before they move in together in your house....then you have the best chance that the one male will stop spraying....
If you take them in intact...he will smell the female...and start spraying....the vet could also give him a Tardak injection after he is spayed...it will kill the hormones instantly...instead of having to wait for 2 weeks...
Good luck! :ThumbsUp:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hate to say it but a spraying male and an owner who doesn't really want him is a cat at high risk of ending up at a shelter or being put to sleep. If your situation is such that you can afford it, I'd take the pair of kitties from the friend and get them all altered. And even if you know you can't keep all three of them, perhaps you could keep the male long enough to find him a loving forever home?