Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting adult Sphynx with HCM positive father?

MissRutabaga

Lairian
Hello all! I'm adopting a retired Sphynx from a breeder, and I recently learned that her niece is available as well. I was super excited to get both cats, but then I learned that the father of the second kitty just died of HCM at age 7. The mother is HCM negative at 7. So all their babies were spayed/neutered, and that's why this girl is being rehomed.

My question is: How risky is it to adopt a sphynx whose father had HCM? Her rehoming fee is $250. Is this reasonable, or would nobody pay for a sphynx with HCM in a parent?

Thanks so much, when I saw her I was all ready to adopt her and now I feel sad if it's a huge risk and I shouldn't!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
There is never a guarantee, but kudos to your breeder for knowing and willingly pulling the dad from the breeding program. That is the responsible thing to do. Spend your time loving and not worrying. Can’t wait to see pics!!!

MissRutabaga

Lairian
There is never a guarantee, but kudos to your breeder for knowing and willingly pulling the dad from the breeding program. That is the responsible thing to do. Spend your time loving and not worrying. Can’t wait to see pics!!!
Thank you!! I am so excited to meet them, and since she is offering them as a "two-for-one" now, I have no qualms :) We will be adopting them November 3rd-- the wait is torture!

Josie Ent

Lairian
Hi my kitten (1 year old) has been diagnosed with HCM, had a routine heart scan and they found his heart was enlarged and thickened. He’s not on any medication and acts perfectly normal running around play fighting with my other one etc... I would never of known he had it unless he was scanned or until it was to late. If I was you I’d see if you can find a cardiologist to scan them just to give you peace of mind xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissRutabaga

Lairian
Hi my kitten (1 year old) has been diagnosed with HCM, had a routine heart scan and they found his heart was enlarged and thickened. He’s not on any medication and acts perfectly normal running around play fighting with my other one etc... I would never of known he had it unless he was scanned or until it was to late. If I was you I’d see if you can find a cardiologist to scan them just to give you peace of mind xx

Thank you! I believe there are HCM scanning days for a lower price about 4 times a year near my city, so I do plan to get mroe information on that and try to piggyback on one of the scanning days to get them checked out <3 So sorry to hear about your kittne, but glad that he is happy and playful!!

Josie Ent

Lairian
Thank you! I believe there are HCM scanning days for a lower price about 4 times a year near my city, so I do plan to get mroe information on that and try to piggyback on one of the scanning days to get them checked out <3 So sorry to hear about your kittne, but glad that he is happy and playful!!

Aww thank you, I was lucky really I work in a veterinary hospital and cardiologist there are amazing, so if I’m ever worried I can take him to work with me . Hopefully you e got nothing to worry about x

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think it's amazing you are going to give them both a loving home. It can be hard to rehome sick/potentially sick cats so just love them both and I'm sure you will never regret it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great advice given .. I replied to your most recent post

Hope you can share an introduction thread of all paws :)

Barrelstar

Lairian
Best wishes! Mine never had any issues besides his murmur until 6 or 7 ears old. Died within a day of sumptoms starting.. Loved ever minute being his mom!!!

Back