Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting Jack's sister....maybe!!! Gotta get her to Canada - help!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, so I am in talks with Jack's breeder to adopt his sister, the beautiful girl. We are just trying to figure out the best way to get her to BC, Canada. Currently she is looking at flying, then an overnight stay :ThumbsDown: then a flight to me. I don't really like that idea.

I am thinking the best way would be to have her fly into Seattle Washington and I will drive there and pick her up and drive home (a 9-10 hour trip for me). However, what do I need to bring her into Canada? In terms of documents and such?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah- I hope it works for you!!!! Jack's sister is too cute to not have a home. Good luck NightSpidy- I think the 1 flight for her and the p/u would be the least stressful and best. Please keep us updated: pics, name etc...

Bella07

Banned
Aawww, yay! Congratulations! Jack's sister is gorgeous! Anyways, I have no idea about the whole shipping thing, but maybe you can ask DreamingInColor. I am fairly sure that she had Amaryllis shipped from the US to Canada as well. Best of Luck!

Yes my Amaryllis flew from Detroit to Toronto!

First thing you should be aware of, is due to the time of the year it is, you should make sure you are using an airline that is temperature controlled. Otherwise, some will not fly when it is colder. Amaryllis came to me on Air Canada, direct flight.

All you require for customs as far as kitty is concerned, they will need to provide proof of last vet visit, showing she is healthy and is up to date on all vaccinations, including rabies. She has to have her rabies vaccination to fly. Her vet should also sign a document stating she has been examined and is healthy.

When you pick her up, you will of course have to have ID and you have to pay duty tax on her, so you will need a copy of your contract, showing what you paid for her. I didn't know I needed my contract and proof of sale, so customs let me sign and affidavit indicating what I paid for her and whom I bought her from (breeders name and address).

It really was quite simple! I went to the airport cargo area, they gave me the paperwork to take to customs, I paid duty taxes, went back to the airport and showed them customs was paid and they released kitty!

The biggest hold up for us was the airlines accidentally checked off that the flight was collect and not pre-paid and that I had to pay for it! The breeder had to fax over the proof of payment and then we had to wait for the person who could override the info in the computer.

Hope this helps a bit!

holly_savage

Banned
HI Nightspidy, I have done it twice now and yes it is pretty simple.

The vet certificate is needed for the breeder to ship her. Canada Customs really only cared that you have proof of rabies vaccination and the invoice. The contract from the breeder stating the price is acceptable (for most of the customs officers), but they really prefer an invoice or bill of sale. Both times, we picked the kitten up on the US side and drove across the border in a car. When you arrive at the Canadian side, they will ask you how long you have been gone and do you have anything to declare. WHen you tell them you picked up a purebred kitten, they will send you in for "secondary" which basically means you park and go into the main office building. I am not 100% positive, but I think it is 15 % of the total sale price (not including shipping and such). Now keep in mind that 15% was the price in Ontario.

On a side note, and not that I usually advocate "screwing" the governenment out of their tax dollars, your breeder may be willing to do you up a bogus invoice, for a slightly lesser listed amount. I wouldn't go too low, as some customs people may know what they are typically worth. It can save you a few bucks, and at this time of year, every little bit helps, but again, this is something you have to decide on your own, wether you are willing to tell a little white lie. The first time I did it, I had spent more than 48 hours in the US, so I was allowed $400 of 'goods' that I did not have to pay any duty on, so I got a great deal. But, let your breeder know, if you arrange a lower invoice receipt, that customs can and sometimes do call to verify the detaiols with them, at least they did the first time. Our second time, they were just so distracted by how cute she was they sped us past the whole line up to get us out quicker...or maybe they were scared of the freakish little kitten in a tank top...lol:LOL::LOL:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to pm me, or post them on this thread.

Good luck!

JacksMom

Banned
OMG, OMG! I haven't been on here, and I just saw this! That is totally awesome. I am SOOOOO happy! I just thought she was sooooo adorable when I went to meet Jack, and my friend who went with me, really liked her the best, but I was dead set on a boy, and that's the reason I chose Jack, because I really was more drawn to this little beauty's color/markings! I love my Jack, but still had this darling little girl on my mind 3 months later. I am so happy she's finally found a home to call her own! Please, please, please post pictures. I am just so excited!!! (and a little jealous, but the good kind of jealous! HaHa! :Wink:)

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks everyone!!! I just have to contact Canada Customs to find out what percentage of duty I have to pay and then it is just a waiting game from there.

Squee, I am so excited. I just can't believe someone else didn't scoop her she is a doll! The markings and those eyes! Gasp, as soon as I saw her I just had to have her, I can't stop thinking of her. Although, she will be my last animal of any kind for a very long time. My husband kindly requested that I do not ask for any more animals, partly for his sanity and the fact that our house is turning into "Noel's Arc" LMAO :Wink:

Looks like she will be getting shipped out Thursday or Friday. I will definitely keep everyone posted and pics for sure!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG, OMG! I haven't been on here, and I just saw this! That is totally awesome. I am SOOOOO happy! I just thought she was sooooo adorable when I went to meet Jack, and my friend who went with me, really liked her the best, but I was dead set on a boy, and that's the reason I chose Jack, because I really was more drawn to this little beauty's color/markings! I love my Jack, but still had this darling little girl on my mind 3 months later. I am so happy she's finally found a home to call her own! Please, please, please post pictures. I am just so excited!!! (and a little jealous, but the good kind of jealous! HaHa! :Wink:)

Thank you for posting her on here!!! I love her so much already and haven't even met her in the flesh yet! But you all know how that is, how these guys can make their way into your heart so quickly.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

You will love her.
Cleo my first sphynx was everything I was told she was and she is my favorite cat.
I have never seen a pic of my Bombay but I can not wait to get her in 2 days.

Gizzymom

Banned
Thanks everyone!!! I just have to contact Canada Customs to find out what percentage of duty I have to pay and then it is just a waiting game from there.

Squee, I am so excited. I just can't believe someone else didn't scoop her she is a doll! The markings and those eyes! Gasp, as soon as I saw her I just had to have her, I can't stop thinking of her. Although, she will be my last animal of any kind for a very long time. My husband kindly requested that I do not ask for any more animals, partly for his sanity and the fact that our house is turning into "Noel's Arc" LMAO :Wink:

Looks like she will be getting shipped out Thursday or Friday. I will definitely keep everyone posted and pics for sure!

YAY!!! So it's a done deal!!! I didn't want to say anything until it was definite, but CONGRATS!!!

So how many in your entourage now?? LOL

JacksMom

Banned
Yea, I was surprised, too. She's out in the middle of nowhere...like literally. Out in the desert and when she gave me directions to get to her home, she used like landmarks and cattle guards to direct me! The town closest to her is really small, too. Many people probably haven't even heard of it. I stumbled upon it searching hi and low for a city close by that I could drive to go meet my sphynx and was looking at breeders in Phoenix (6 hours away) who were the closest I could find and stumbled upon a site called hooble.com (i think? something like that), and that's where I found Jack's breeder!) I googled many words, Texas sphynx breeder, NM sphynx breeder and nothing brought up this cattery. It was simply fate first, for me, and now for YOU! I didn't know what to expect going to a cattery, but there was a pump of antibacterial gel that me and my friend were asked to use, and then the 3 kittens were brought out to us...they were 14.5 weeks old. There was another batch of kittens 9 weeks old and I asked her to see them. She brought out a couple (that didn't have deposits on them), but she would not let us touch them. They were too young. She sat and showed me how to clean ears, feet, bathing...etc. I was kinda shocked, in a good way, that there was so much caution taken to keep them healthy. When I was leaving she put him in the car, and had a minute or 2 talking and loving on him. It was very sweet and my friend mentioned it as we were driving away that she thought that was very tender and sweet. This cattery was my only experience ever, so I have nothing to compare it to, but thought you'd like to know my experience, since I was there 1st hand. :Smile: :Smile:

JacksMom

Banned
Just got an email from my breeder. I emailed her last night....she informed me that she is not Jack's sister, she is from the other litter. My bad. I think they were 9 weeks old when I got Jack, who was 14.5 weeks. So she was probably one of the ones that was brought out, but I was not allowed to touch. :Smile:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
HI Nightspidy, I have done it twice now and yes it is pretty simple.

The vet certificate is needed for the breeder to ship her. Canada Customs really only cared that you have proof of rabies vaccination and the invoice. The contract from the breeder stating the price is acceptable (for most of the customs officers), but they really prefer an invoice or bill of sale. Both times, we picked the kitten up on the US side and drove across the border in a car. When you arrive at the Canadian side, they will ask you how long you have been gone and do you have anything to declare. WHen you tell them you picked up a purebred kitten, they will send you in for "secondary" which basically means you park and go into the main office building. I am not 100% positive, but I think it is 15 % of the total sale price (not including shipping and such). Now keep in mind that 15% was the price in Ontario.

On a side note, and not that I usually advocate "screwing" the governenment out of their tax dollars, your breeder may be willing to do you up a bogus invoice, for a slightly lesser listed amount. I wouldn't go too low, as some customs people may know what they are typically worth. It can save you a few bucks, and at this time of year, every little bit helps, but again, this is something you have to decide on your own, wether you are willing to tell a little white lie. The first time I did it, I had spent more than 48 hours in the US, so I was allowed $400 of 'goods' that I did not have to pay any duty on, so I got a great deal. But, let your breeder know, if you arrange a lower invoice receipt, that customs can and sometimes do call to verify the detaiols with them, at least they did the first time. Our second time, they were just so distracted by how cute she was they sped us past the whole line up to get us out quicker...or maybe they were scared of the freakish little kitten in a tank top...lol:LOL::LOL:

If you have any more questions, please feel free to pm me, or post them on this thread.

Good luck!

I found out my duty percentage is 12%, so that's not bad. I won't be allowed a personal amount as I won't be staying the required time. It is all good though, it is totally worth it! :BigSmile:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
YAY!!! So it's a done deal!!! I didn't want to say anything until it was definite, but CONGRATS!!!

So how many in your entourage now?? LOL

Thanks! Well, almost a done deal....I still haven't heard from the breeder yet on how we are going to work out the payment whether she wants western union or direct into her account, so once she is on the plane, it's a done deal! I'm trying not to get too excited, but it's really hard. After her, I will have 6, 6!!!!!!, in my entourage.....1 fur-kitty, 3 nekkids and 2 minpin-chihuahua crosses. I think that's enough, lol. :Hysterical:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yea, I was surprised, too. She's out in the middle of nowhere...like literally. Out in the desert and when she gave me directions to get to her home, she used like landmarks and cattle guards to direct me! The town closest to her is really small, too. Many people probably haven't even heard of it. I stumbled upon it searching hi and low for a city close by that I could drive to go meet my sphynx and was looking at breeders in Phoenix (6 hours away) who were the closest I could find and stumbled upon a site called hooble.com (i think? something like that), and that's where I found Jack's breeder!) I googled many words, Texas sphynx breeder, NM sphynx breeder and nothing brought up this cattery. It was simply fate first, for me, and now for YOU! I didn't know what to expect going to a cattery, but there was a pump of antibacterial gel that me and my friend were asked to use, and then the 3 kittens were brought out to us...they were 14.5 weeks old. There was another batch of kittens 9 weeks old and I asked her to see them. She brought out a couple (that didn't have deposits on them), but she would not let us touch them. They were too young. She sat and showed me how to clean ears, feet, bathing...etc. I was kinda shocked, in a good way, that there was so much caution taken to keep them healthy. When I was leaving she put him in the car, and had a minute or 2 talking and loving on him. It was very sweet and my friend mentioned it as we were driving away that she thought that was very tender and sweet. This cattery was my only experience ever, so I have nothing to compare it to, but thought you'd like to know my experience, since I was there 1st hand. :Smile: :Smile:

Awwww, that makes me so happy to hear that. It is strange that I don't get to meet her in person, so I am really, really glad you posted this because I was curious about it. Now I KNOW she is coming from a great home. :BigSmile:

Back