adult sphynx living w/other cats first time? | Sphynxlair

adult sphynx living w/other cats first time?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by eirenorge, Aug 12, 2009.

1. eirenorge

eirenorgeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $377.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am close to deciding to buy a 1.5 yr old female. I already have 2 males (Javanese 3 yr old and Peterbald Sphynx 8 mos)..both of my males are friendly and playful. This girl is described the same way, but I was told she never lived with other cats before and when and outside cat came to the door once she hissed at it and ran away. Still, she's outgoing with people, loves attention and is otherwise not shy.

Should I assume she can adjust to living with cats, even though she never has or should I assume that she won't? I like to think she'll play with them eventually.

any advice?
    Mary

2. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $132.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    It will work out.
    My Coco was 10 when she met Meeko.
    Meeko was 2 at the time and was nasty to Coco.
    Now they are best friends.
    Just go slow when you introduce them.
    Coco is now 17 and Meeko is 9.
    Both are not sphynx.
    You will have hissing at first it is normal.

3. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $268,546.92
    Ratings:
    +17,211
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hi Mary welcome to Sphynx Lair!
    I think you will be just fine! Are they all fixed? That would help!
    Good luck!

4. ultra_stella

ultra_stellaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +369
    Oh yeah, I was afraid for my Stella when my boyfriend and I finally moved into together. His cat (with hair) grew up on the streets prior to finding a good home. She has a little tear on her ear (signs of battle) and I've seen how she reacted to his friend's cats. Plus his cat has some size on mine. We separated them for a couple of hours before we introduced them to each other. I heard Stella hiss for the first time! In the beginning, they were only vocal. About a week later, my little Stella became brave and started to playfully bat her paws in the air at Izzy (cat with hair). Her playful batting quickly turned into pouncing, despite all the hissing and growling that was coming from Izzy. All playful of course! It's been about three weeks now and they're doing just fine.

I agree with Mews2much. They will get use to each other. I read something a while back that talked about providing treats during their first contact so they will associate this possibly rough time with something pleasant. I was fresh out of treats during their first contact. :/

5. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $268,546.92
    Ratings:
    +17,211
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
  6. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    Hi Mary,

I think you'll be fine! My 2 year old, Walter, had never been around any other animals when I brought my 12 year old, Helen, home. He hissed a little bit and was grumpy for a few days, but they are total playmates now! I'm sure she will adjust in time. I'm always amazed at how well cat's adjust to changes in their environment, especially our easy going Sphynxes.

Also, the fact that she's a female might be a benefit. There are some schools of thought that introducing opposite sexes to each other is easier...but, I don't know if it's true or not.

Good luck! Go get that new sphynx and let us see some pictures!! :LOL:

7. eirenorge

eirenorgeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $377.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. thanks for such wonderful replies! How reassuring. I never thought I'd get to own a genuine Sphynx, but now yay! I can't wait to post pix!

Mary

ps: here are her future brothers...

Attached Files:

8. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $132.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Nice Pictures.
    Sometimes all my cats sleep in a pile.

9. sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Hi Mary,

I have two Siamese cats who were both older (13 yrs and 10 yrs respectively) when I brought home my Sphynx cat Piglet. Although my Siamese were used to having the house to themselves for many years before I got Piglet, they adjusted to her and they are now all best of friends. They hissed and spit at each other for about a week before they settled down. Now they hang out, play, and sleep with each other.

Your cats are really cute, by the way. How long have you had them? Did you get them both from a breeder or are they rescues? My sphynx is a rescue but both of my Siamese are from Chocolado Siamese Cattery located originally in Arizona (the breeder has since moved to the east coast).

10. eirenorge

eirenorgeLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $377.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Peterbald was from a Russian breeder we befriended and my Javanese was from a breeder who has since given up breeding and fell on hard times. We are so lucky to have them.

I'm getting my first Sphynx girl tomorrow. !!! yay!!

11. sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    They are both gorgeous cats! Good luck with the new sphynx addition to your family! :ThumbsUp: