Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adverse Rabies Reaction

layniecakes

Lairian
Ughh my vet visit yesterday was just terrible. Bones was hissing at the vet, the vet was not helpful in the slightest (** more info below!) and NOW we have a sick kitty from his first rabies vaccine. When we first came back from the vet he was so happy, he couldn't stop purring or loving on us. I was watching TV with him on my lap when...he left! Thats a little unusual. But I just kept watching TV, assuming he had just gone to be with my husband. An hour or so later I walked into the other room and Bones was just sitting there by himself. He got onto my lap and I noticed that he had bloody spots on him...upon closer inspection, it was hives!! He was so itchy he was scratching the dang hives off!

I kinda panicked and was about to take him the the emergency animal hospital but I was so wary of going and paying so much money to either be told it would go away on its own or to have them just give him a benadryl. So I did a little online research and there were several sources that seemed legitimate that said benadryl and zyrtec are both safe for cats at proper doses. So I gave him 5mg of zyrtec and monitored him.

Last night he would roll over and stuff but he basically stayed in one spot on our bed the whole night instead of wandering around like normal. This morning he just feels warm. Much warmer than the typical sphynx warmness, ha. Still lethargic, but the hives and itching are gone. Fever is on the common symptom list that is only dangerous if it persists for longer than 24 hours so I'm not going to take him in right now, it just sucks so bad to have him feeling miserable. This morning I tried really hard to get him to drink water but he wasn't interested so I fed him his food blended up with a lot of water and he did have some of that.

** We took him in for the lingering ringworm problem hes had since we got him from the breeder. All the vet said was "so, he has ringworm?" (didn't even check whatsoever!) and then asked what I had been doing for him. I told her I had just been doing lime sulfur dips and all the vet said was "great! well just keep doing that!" She offered a cream too but I said "...wont he just lick it off??" And she said "yeah, probably." lol. so not helpful. I'm glad he was itching so much or I might not have noticed the hives among the red ringworm spots he has.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear this report. Can you take Bones to another vet? Hugs and sending healing vibes.

layniecakes

Lairian
Yes we're definitely going to another vet. I was surprised because they actually had good reviews on yelp but it was 5 and they close at 6 so the only thing I can figure is they were trying to wrap up. I asked about a few other things and got really short, unhelpful answers for all of them.

layniecakes

Lairian
Oh I forgot to attach pictures. Two are of him acting normal right before the vet, and the other one is him curled up - the way he's been since last night. In the one with him feeling bad you can see the red lump on his leg where he was injected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 64

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh I forgot to attach pictures. Two are of him acting normal right before the vet, and the other one is him curled up - the way he's been since last night. In the one with him feeling bad you can see the red lump on his leg where he was injected.

Bones looks so precious in the second pic, hope he up and around soon again

layniecakes

Lairian
Thank you! He has been extra super cuddly. Its just weird because he hasn't purred and usually he'll get his purr motor running if you even look at him. My poor sweet thing. Wasn't even a cat person before him haha

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
What a handsome baby boy! I am sorry he is not feeling well. Hopefully tomorrow he will perk up.

Patti

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear that Bones is feeling so ill.
I hope that you can get him into another vet, one that may have a little more interest in the sphinx breed and its needs.
Keep us posted!!

sending hugs and head butts your way!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hope he's better by now. I wouldn't use that Vet again.
Not a responsible Vet at all. Most would see the animal anytime after hours
especially, if, it's due, to something, they, did.

Nair Bare

Lairian
my pet, Peeve.jpg …."we have a sick kitty from his first rabies vaccine…." Layneicakes, sorry to hear about your vaccine problems and pray for your cat's quick recovery.
May I suggest whenever any of us have vaccine issues, we make it a priority to post the type of vaccine used and the MANUFACTURER of that vaccine. Perhaps we can help isolate the culprit for other Sphynx owners. Ask your vet beforehand….Merial, Pfizer, Fort Dodge; Imrab I or Imrab III or Purevax; thimersol free, adjuvanted or non-adjuvanted? The more information you can provide for the Sphynxlair reader, the better. Together we can help each other find a common thread and avoid such issues for our own cats.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Nair Bare our breeder puts in contract Merial vaccines are a must or contract is voided. She is also a great resource in case a vet does not have this in stick she will mark exceptions if need be.
Patti

Back