Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice?♡ Travelling far to pick our baby up from breeder

nyp0n

Lairian
Hi! Me and my boyfriend are so lucky to have found the most adorable and wonderful little sphynx girl (she's five months old) and we are going to bring her home in a few weeks.

The problem is we are travelling by train, and it will take about 10-12 hours with only two breaks. Her breeder says it will be fine, but I'm afraid she will be scared and miserable in her pet carrier. We have a harness and a leash for her so she can stretch her legs while we change trains.
We are going to bring her favorite blanket and toy from the breeder and some wet food & treats and of course disposable litter box & water.

Do you think she will be fine? And do you have any advice? ♡

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sounds like you're well prepared. I would imagine the train ride will be stressful, but there really isn't anything you can do about it. Just try to remain calm and hopefully your little girl will manage to relax. Good luck, and congrats on your new baby :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@nyp0n that's terrific that you found a sphynx to bring home in a few weeks. I have no train experience with traveling with a pet. I've only taken planes and cars.
It surely seems like you have everything covered as far as everything you will need for her. I don't know if you can purchase a Thunder Jacket/Shirt, but if you can, that may be helpful in keeping her calmer.

Best of luck and be sure to share pics as you receive them from the breeder and don't forget to take lots of pics on the train, etc. for Gotcha Day.

I also would like to officially welcome you to the site.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. And congratulations with your soon to be new addition. Do you have a lic of your girl? And do you already know her name?
You're well prepared for the long ride so I think she will be fine. You're with her to take care of her and to pet her. My both boys hate driving in the car but love the train! They purr all the time and are very curious to see where they're going. Hope your girl will like the train too.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I don't have any experience with traveling, with, my Girl.
But, @Silke drove a long ways with her girl.
She might chime in, since, I tagged her.
Best wishes. Please keep us updated.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@nyp0n I just came across something I read for another reason and found out about Feliway Wipes for traveling! They are individual wipes by Feliway and you wipe down the cat carrier, etc. while traveling and it cuts down on the stress for the cat!

nyp0n

Lairian
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and all the kind words and advice! I feel much better now. I hope she won't be too miserable during the trip and we'll make sure to give her plenty of treats and love! Those wipes sound like a really good idea, I'll check with our pet store if they have them!
We haven't decided on a name for her yet, but I think Nihil suits her ♡
She was born on valentine's day, and here's our little angel at about four months:
13713348_1561710367471784_573554540_n.jpg

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there. :)
Yes, Goldtassel is right, I drove 15hrs from the UK to Germany with Pixie in the car.
Absolutely no problem at all. It will be even easier on the train.
You're very well prepared and have everything you need. While on the train, let her out on a leash, she'll be fine.
I have traveled quite far with Pixie, and am about to do it again on Wednesday morning (4-5hrs) when we move.
I actually now let her sit on the back seat in her bed, wearing a harness and clipped into the seatbelt. She's perfectly fine with that and just sleeps or looks out of the window.
I stop frequently (about once every 1-2 hours) to offer water and toilet. (Every hour if it's really hot, as I don't have AC in the car)
Have all of her documents handy, just in case.
I have a very large cat carrier (Fabric) which I put several fleeces in, as well as a little bowl of kibble. She traveled in this all the way from the UK, I let her out to roam in the car while we were on the Ferry and checked on her after about an hour.
Pixie rarely drinks while on the road. She does eat some kibble though. Never used the litter tray, even though it's offered and available to her.
What you might want to get is some electrolytes (I don't know what's available where you are, so google it. :))
Here is a home made one (I have not tried this) I found some time ago:

HOME-MADE, ORGANIC ELECTROLYTE FORMULA
  • 1/4 cup luke warm water
    (Use spring or filtered water to avoid chlorine and flouride.)
  • 2 Tablespoons raw honey
    (Raw honey has natural antibiotic properties.)
  • 3/8 Teaspoon sea salt
    (Table salt from the supermarket has sugar in it – [what, you haven’t read the label recently and noticed this?] – and is missing all the trace minerals available in a good quality sea salt.)
  • 1/8 Teaspoon potassium salt (365 mg)
    (Sometimes called “potassium chloride” and available in health food stores in powder form. I use the NOW brand Potassium Chloride Powder and that’s the basis for this measurement.)
  • 1 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    (For a bit of vitamin C and to cut the sweetness.)
  • Enough water to make 2 full cups (16 ounces).
My veterinarian and I discussed the exact amount of potassium required, so I know the proportions are correct for my cats.

As I said, I haven't tried this, but it's pretty simple.
Just in case she doesn't drink on the way and is a little dehydrated. But she may not take it (You may need a little syringe to give it)

Hope that helps, any questions, feel free to ask.

nyp0n

Lairian
thank you so much!! i'll make some electrolyte formula for her and buy a little syringe, and hopefully she will drink some ♡

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nyp0n , h0w exciting! She is precious ! born on Valentine's Day so special :)
Let us know the name you choose - I like Nihil :)

Great advice given -
Year ago , I travelled 4 days with 4 cats and a Rottweiler In my little SUV vehicle -
(One kitty on medicstion on ice all the way )

-I brought a bottle of store bought unflavored clear only pedialyte for hydration if necessary -
My vet give me the plunger pet syringes for the asking

*-All kitties crated with a a tag attached to the carrier with emergency contact info
I put a rabbit waterbottle on the crate ( test first bcz one of mine leaked )

-I put a towel over all 3 sides of the crate - makes a comfy sleep cave and put in a catnip banana -
( supposedly calming - each kitty different by age etc but I figured it couldn't hurt )

*- watch harnesses- kittie can slip out or back out of if spooked - make sure it is fitted properly and be extra careful -

-mine didn't eat much for the trip but did "talk" "sing" so the towel over 3 side helped - then they settled and slept most of the time peeking out the window in between cat naps

- I brought a pack of unscented alcohol free baby wipe too for any clean ups

i am sure she will be fine :)
I have found their outgoing personalities great for traveling :)

Keep us updated often
Very excited for you !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 17

nyp0n

Lairian
Thank you all so so much! it's really great advice and I'll definitively do some shopping soon! ♡

I think she's absolutely breathtaking, she looks so ethereal :') me and the boyfriend are so excited to bring her home and to be her family ♡ I'll keep you updated and I will post so many pics after gotcha day!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@GoldHazel bloody autocorrect! LOL
Sorry!!
But hey, at least it didn't call you a mattress.

(When Paul covered the Olympics in 2012, he was in Weymouth for the sailing. They sat in a pub for the closing ceremony, and we were texting back and forth. He sent me a note saying he's sharing his chips with the Mayoress of Weymouth. I texted back, asking "Why are you hanging out with the Mayoress?" -- only my phone sent "Why are you hanging out with the Mattress?" I spotted it just as I hit send, and went "ACK! Mayoress! I meant Mayoress!!" Whereupon he texts back saying "She already saw it and said to tell you she's been called many things, but never a Mattress." He never again referred to her as "Mayoress" in a single text he sent me, after that....)

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you allowed to have them out of the carrier on a leash on the train? Would just triple check the rules... I think here where I am you wouldn'the be able to. Also would add to have one of you wear a larger zip up hoodie - sometimes mine liked to lay inside it against my chest at that age :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Silke funny story. I can't say that I've ever been called a mattress before, not that it's a bad thing if I was called that. LOL

nyp0n

Lairian
ohh I'll definitely wear a zip up sweater! Great idea!! I have also made a knitted sweater for her and a "sock sweater", in case she gets cold and the blankets aren't enough ♡
And we are allowed to have her on a leash as long as we don't let her play too much or run around and bother other passengers so that's nice :)
also! we get to pick her up in a week!! the breeder told us he's going to a vet on tuesday in a town much nearer our town, so the travel for her will "only" be 7 hours on the train ♡

I appreciate all of your replies so much ♡

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
nypon- 7 hours should be a cake walk! We drove 12 for Raskol, and that was after he spent 8 on a plane. Alone! He's such a trooper- didn't seem ANY worse for wear!! His first mom set him up real well, put t-shirt on him and loved him up real good before putting him on the plane to the US. We picked him up in Chicago and drove back home to Kansas with him. He was certainly happy to be out of his carrier, used a disposable litter pan a couple times but seems to have suffered no ill effects at all from the trip. I'm sure your new baby will be JUST fine!! Nothing to worry about... Well, except being totally smitten with the breed!! Lol. Good luck on gotcha day!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I did get a lot of "Mau?" :) And I do talk to her on the way. But driving is a lot more stressful than a train ride. :)
Safe travels, in case I don't get online before you travel. (I'm moving tomorrow. 5hr drive, then unloading...)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@nyp0n -- what a beauty you have!! And soon will be cuddling. So much great advice here, I don't need to add to it. But I wanted to encourage you to post photos and stories of your Gotcha Day. It will be an exciting journey for everyone!

Back