Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

JessicaDavies

Lairian
Looking for advice for my kitten Pablo, if any one could recommend what they use for bathing, moisturising, Ear cleaning, or any daily care routines? I’d be grateful :)
I’m new to this so just trying to make sure I have all the essentials

thank you!

Attachments

• 73A60513-E293-41A6-9016-F5A701619640.jpeg
    73A60513-E293-41A6-9016-F5A701619640.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 58

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Many people on here use and recommend Hylyt shampoo but I'm not sure if it's available in the UK. I use Dorwest oatmeal shampoo on Rankle which works well for us.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just use a generic non-fragrance cat shampoo off our Walmart or any local store. When I run out, I'll be using No-tears, fragrance-free Johnson's Newborn Baby shampoo (no tears is a must!) Best Baby Shampoo & Body Wash. Ear cleaning: use various cotton swab sizes and Epi-optic ear cleaner + ear powder (lessens frequency of ear cleaning).

Sheldon13

Staff member
I use Hylyt shampoo for bathing and TrizULTRA for ear cleansing.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. My goodness that baby is stinking adorable! Here’s an area of this community you can start researching as well. Sphynx Cat Help Center

I have had a lot of luck with this shampoo
3de0f9450bd064ae316a1b4482fd974c.jpg

One product you might want in hand for scratches, scrapes etc. I comes in handy.

Also as a newbie to the breed you will want to remember to not allow your vet to use the Anesthesia called Ketamine for ny procedures like neutering. It can be fatal in any cat with an underlying heart condition.

Again welcome we look forward to helping you and answering any questions.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JessicaDavies welcome to the lair family ! Happy adorable Pablo gotcha! glad you jumped in with this fun friendly bunch to ask questions and share pics!
tagging @Staceyxxx , @Beckinboots and all in the area that can share products available

look forward to lots of pics and tales! the info center is an amazing resource for sphynx life. I love hylyt shampoo. many great products out there, surely member will chime in. get Pablo used to regular grooming, baths ears, nails. don't over bath either. you will find the balance that works best . when they are new at home , most wait 10 plus days to full bath, and also recommend a wellness check with a vet to establish a good working relationship and a good baseline, often recommend bringing a poo sample during wellness check. read contract, often void if feline leukemia or a fip vaccine given. have vet mark "NO Ketamine" anesthesia. just some tidbits I learned when I joined. kitty proof for life! they are steal fast too underfoot and by doors! watch stoves, and double check washer and dryers before turning on, lots of throw blankets and double check before you sit down, lol often they are tucked in there or on our bed covers.

be sure to use the search box too (upper right main page) to type in specifics and will take you to previous threads.

hugs n head smooches! look forward to your journey with us! so excited for you n Pablo! how old is he? what is his favorite toy? silliest thing he does? kitty proof toys too! they are notorious of eating stuff they should not! I have to hide pole toys with strings and only used supervised. they are cat ,monkey dog baby all in one for life :)

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just use a generic non-fragrance cat shampoo off our Walmart or any local store. When I run out, I'll be using No-tears, fragrance-free Johnson's Newborn Baby shampoo (no tears is a must!) Best Baby Shampoo & Body Wash. Ear cleaning: use various cotton swab sizes and Epi-optic ear cleaner + ear powder (lessens frequency of ear cleaning).
Careful w/ baby shampoo because the Ph balance is different for a cat than a baby.

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Condo commando Thanks for letting me know; before I joined I remember reading here that some use Johnson's Baby Shampoo I think it's the Head&Body one and I never bothered to do my research after that. Maybe it's an older post? Anyway, I'll be sure to check the PH level. Winners and Homesense here are all closed this is where I buy my specialty pet products.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Omg pablo is sooo cute {= congrats on getting your wee baby! I use pet prescription uk to purchase ear cleaner and shampoo, ii attach pics, the prices are reasonable compared to the pet shops! I bath Binky every 3 to 4 weeks, I clean her ears when needed and clean her eyes usually twice a day with cooled down water from the kettle, using cotton pads and clean her chin and cheeks also, as the dust from her litter can go on her skin! also every now and again I use eye bright herb and make tea with it and bathe her eyes with that! I clip her nails usually every week or so, as they get really sharp and she likes play fighting, I just clip a tiny bit off the point as she like climbing! My Binky has allergies so I use this shampoo and ear cleaner which was recommended by the vet!

Attachments

• DB31A8B9-221D-497F-91F4-A9D508402BAF.jpeg
    DB31A8B9-221D-497F-91F4-A9D508402BAF.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
  • ACC35477-224B-4957-90DE-AD0BE814F015.jpeg
    ACC35477-224B-4957-90DE-AD0BE814F015.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 32