Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice if guest has allergies?

anrussek

Lairian
Hello!

My husband and I are looking to get a Sphynx cat. We currently have a yorkie mix pup who loves cats and we all have wanted one for a long time. Sphynx has been my dream cat since I was a young kid!

One issue is that my husband’s brother and father are pretty allergic to cats in general. I know the breed is not entirely hypoallergenic but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how best to make it so they can still visit but not have to worry about becoming sick.

I’ve done a little looking up here and there and it looks like weekly baths and cleaning of surface areas. Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Thank you so much in advance!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You might suggest your guests take allergy medication before coming for a visit. My husband is allergic to my Sphynx. I damp mop the floor frequently. He also makes sure to wash is hands after petting her. We also change our furnace filter frequently. I suppose you could lock your kitty in a room when guests are over so she doesn’t try to climb up on them.