Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice needed on carriers

Inferno12

Banned
So the boys got their cat carriers tonight. We have lots of experimenting to do before we fly. The vet suggested some benedryl to calm them when we fly. She suggested trying it before hand and trying some car trips with them in the carriers. They are kind of small so they dont really want to go in them yet. I dont want to force them so I am looking for suggestions on how to get them OK with going in the carriers. Should we leave them out with a blanket in there? Should we put treats in there? Any thoughts?

Like I said, we have 11 days to play with the carriers before we leave so any suggestions would be great :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Here is what they look like
PetGear Inc

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The general practice I use is to leave them out with the door open with a blanket in it. When they get in give them positive verbal feedback and give them a treat while they are still in the carrier. Just leave them out from now until you leave so they get used to them. Every time they get in - treat them and positive verbal feedback - they might even make it their new bed area! lol

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
First off, I really don't have any experience with carriers. I got one for BNuts but rarely use it. However, I agree with chutkuhn7. I think a blanket and treats would be good. I doubt that will work for coaxing them in but at least they will be familiar with the carrier.

Where are you taking Johnny and Diego?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Yea - you won't be able to coax them much and don't rush them. Just let them check it out on their own and when you see them hop in throw a treat in the carrier.

P.S. Keep treats in your pocket so when you go to toss it they don't hear you digging it out of the jar or bag or container. lol

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would put the food dish in there sometimes with food and give treats.
I did that with my cats and they go right into the carriers with no problem.
I also would leave the carrier out opened up.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would leave the carriers out in a comfortable area for the cats for 24 hours and line each one with a familiar blanky. After 24 hours, start feeding them in there, breaky and dinner. Every time they go in there on their own, give them a treat, and yes, keep the treats in your pocket so they can't hear a package rustling. If they are not going in on their own, throw in some kitty crack, I mean "Temptations"....always works for my crew. If they even hear something that remotely sounds like the kitty crack bag opening, they are there! Once that happens, start the car drives and then reward. I think it'll work out. :BigSmile:

Gizzymom

Banned
Great advice.... I would also suggest that if a favorite blankie doesn't work, throw in a t-shirt after you've worn it. I know Gizmo will lay down on any piece of clothing of mine if I set it somewhere after I wear it:Laugh:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The general practice I use is to leave them out with the door open with a blanket in it. When they get in give them positive verbal feedback and give them a treat while they are still in the carrier. Just leave them out from now until you leave so they get used to them. Every time they get in - treat them and positive verbal feedback - they might even make it their new bed area! lol

That's exactly what I do.

JacksMom

Banned
Couldn't agree more. That's what Jack did, I just left it open on the floor, not intentionally to get him used to it or anything, but he went in it immediately and it ended up being that he likes to hang out in there.

TotenEngel

Banned
I know whenever I get one out ready to go the vets, one of the others manages to get in there and curl up quite happily! Never the one I want in there though lol

Inferno12

Banned
Thanks guys. I left them out last night and Johnny seems to be the only one checking them out. The issue is that there isnt a lot of room for them to just "hang out" or feed them in there. It has to be small enough to fit under the seat so its only 8 inches deep. I put the blanket in there last night and I will put some treats in there and try catnip. they have a catnip cigar aka the turd and I will put that in there too. They love that thing.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try a mix of them and see if I can get them in there. They only have to survive a 2 hour flight in them :Sweat: The good news is that they double as a car seat so I could use them in that capacity too but I just wish they were bigger. Oh well!

Where are you taking Johnny and Diego?
I am taking them with us to California for Christmas :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Just had a thought, I could lay them down flat and feed them in there. I guess I havent had enough coffee to figure that out :Dizzy::Dizzy:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Dawn all the advice you have gotten is great and I hope you have a great trip and holiday in California.
I just want to add on thing about the benedryl, this could do the opposite and instead of making them sleepy it could make them hyper and this would make for a not so great flight.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would skip the benadryl and go with a long hard play session before you put them in the kennel, 2 hours is not long at all. Piglet still scratches to get out, but only for a little bit, then he goes to sleep. But we have longer flights than you do. Normally the first one is 1 1/2 hours, the 2nd one is 4 1/2 to 5. Piglet lets me know he is not happe about it, but he normally is not a problem.

Inferno12

Banned
Dawn all the advice you have gotten is great and I hope you have a great trip and holiday in California.
I just want to add on thing about the benedryl, this could do the opposite and instead of making them sleepy it could make them hyper and this would make for a not so great flight.

This is exactly what the vet said so she wants us to try it before we go to see how it works for them. We are also going to try car rides in the carriers before we try any medicine

ktate88

Banned
All great advice! Niles loved his carrier until he got too tall to get in it comfortably. He now has a bigger hard crate he likes to go in.

As far as medicine... I took Homeopet Anxiety drops, pet calm treats, acepromazine, and torbutrol with me for Niles flight. All I ended up using was giving him a few calming treats and then a smidge of the ace I believe. He was sleeping the first flight (80 minuts) and during most of the layover. The second flight he was fine until he knocked over his water, which was my fault. He probably would have been fine if I had taken the water out :Surprise:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like you are already doing everything you need to make things easier on the boys. I have tried Pet eze herbal calming spray and Rescue Remedy in attempts to diminish Gleek's crying when the car is in motion, but they haven't had much effect. I would keep the benadryl as an emergency back up if things get too rough on the plane.

Back