Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice on behavior change

Molly Pearl

Lairian
Hello all! I'm seeking some advice on some behavior change we've seen from Sturgeon the last two weeks. He's started hissing at our littlest, Walter. Mostly it seems like he's telling Walter to back off or stay away from a particular spot by the window that he has claimed as his own. Sturgeon is generally very laid back and previously hasn't ever hissed at him (even when we brought Walter home.)

I think this may be connected to Walter getting bigger (he'll be 1 year old next month!) and perhaps exacerbated by the fact that Walter can't be neutered and Sturgeon is. Maybe Sturgeon is suddenly feeling the need to reassert his dominance?

Any other suggestions or advice? There haven't been any other changes in terms of our presence at home, food, baths, etc.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I think you're right and the neutered - not neutered issue is causing the hissing. With Walter being almost one his hormones going "wild" and Sturgeon smells and notices it. Probably he feels the need to mark his areas. Hope it will stay with hissing about one spot in the house!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all! I'm seeking some advice on some behavior change we've seen from Sturgeon the last two weeks. He's started hissing at our littlest, Walter. Mostly it seems like he's telling Walter to back off or stay away from a particular spot by the window that he has claimed as his own. Sturgeon is generally very laid back and previously hasn't ever hissed at him (even when we brought Walter home.)

I think this may be connected to Walter getting bigger (he'll be 1 year old next month!) and perhaps exacerbated by the fact that Walter can't be neutered and Sturgeon is. Maybe Sturgeon is suddenly feeling the need to reassert his dominance?

Any other suggestions or advice? There haven't been any other changes in terms of our presence at home, food, baths, etc.
Is there a reason Walter can't be neutered? Thats most likely your problem as the others have said, there is not much you can do. :)

Molly Pearl

Lairian
@admin Sorry for the slow response! (Finals are over!!) To answer your question we can't get Walter neutered because of his severe HCM. The vet does not recommend putting him under due to the stress it would put on his heart.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I ask because my Yoda was 5 mos old and the vet did no want to spay her because vet detected bad heart murmur ..
Vet instructed to recheck in a few months to see if improvement- and then spay

How long ago did vet say Walter had severe HCM and was it by listening or a HCM scan?

We had her spayed with ISO anesthesia and definitely no ketamine

I know there is a new way to "neuter " dogs without surgery but am not sure if they are doing with cats yet
I would ask your vet if there are any other creative alternatives and advice

Ps : yah finals are over for you!
Hope to see more pics of your babies!

Molly Pearl

Lairian
@Yoda mom He was diagnosed by a cardiologist after a scan-- about six months ago. He did have a heart murmur as a baby which is why we went for the scan before the neuter and unfortunately it was bad news. They gave him a pretty bleak diagnosis and said at the most he'll be with us for five years. We're hoping we get all five of those years and just spoil him with love in the meanwhile.

We do have a follow up scan next month at which point I think I'll mention the ISO anesthesia possibility. Honestly though it hasn't been too big of an issue. Sturgeon seems to be calming down the last week and Walter just gets extra smelly sometimes. :p

Thanks for the advice!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Molly Pearl ,give extra head kisses to Sturgeon and Walter from me!
Your a great mum!
Please keep us updated on the scan , sending lots of pawsitive thoughts :)

Hope to see pics of both!