Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Elaina

Lairian
Hello!

I signed up a few minutes ago, I'm Elaina and new to the lair. :)

I am looking for some advice if possible please. I've had Gabbi for a week now she is 5 months old. The breeder told me her diet consists of Acana cat food and natural instincts weaning paste.

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/products/Weaning-food.html
http://www.acana.com/products/regionals/grasslands-cat-kitten/?lang=en-uk

The last 2 days on and off she has had an upset stomach - runny stools. Maybe I am worrying over nothing, but she honestly is such a beautiful little girl so I'm a little worried! In regards to the food - has anyone heard anything about the foods linked above? I know that a Sphynx's stomach is quite sensitive and changing their diets can upset them, I'm wondering if I should take her off the weaning paste? Is she a little old for the weaning paste?

Any advice would be great!

Here's my little girl..
2.jpg

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If the weaning paste is just chicken meat and ground bone I can't see why it would cause an upset tummy unless she has an allergy. In fact I think that is quite a good thing to feed and would have thought it might make poop better (like a raw diet does)

Did she eat any treats or human food a few days back that could have caused the upset ?

My two get poop foot occasionally when they steal scraps of food that fall on the floor or they sneak from us.

I would ask the breeder if she had these issues before you brought her home, if her poop has been firm until now it might be a temporary thing.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You can also give a a bit of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, straight pumpkin) to help firm things up. Stress of a new home can cause issues. I agree with Zoinks ask if any issues before your baby left them. BTW...welcome!!!!

Patti

Elaina

Lairian
Hi both!

Thank you for your responses. As far as I know I don't think she had any problems before coming home to me..

As for the weaning paste, it's just 100% chicken and bone. Although our human food seems so tempting as she loves to remind me by trying to launch into my dinners.. I never let her have anything other than her normal food and a few dreamies, cat treats. Probably just a temporary thing, will give the pumpkin a go and give it some time and see what happens..

Thanks! :)

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Elaina. What a gorgeous girl you have there. Hopefully its just the change of environment if shes otherwise healthy in all other departments. My Wilson didnt poop for 3 days when we first brought him home so we sort of had the opposite problem(I was advised by our breeder to put a little bran on his food) although the problem resolved itself. I didnt think that I could actually feel so happy to see poop but I guess thats all part of the balmy world of the sphynx parent !! Loved the advice about pumpkin, I hadnt heard of that and thats the beauty of this forum.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Elaina and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Great advice thus far. The only thing I would add is, if you haven't already, be sure to have a vet visit, there could be a pesky underlying bug causing the runny poo. Hope its nothing! Please enjoy the community! (y)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Elaina , welcome to you and Gabbi ! She is precious! Obviously she has the purrfect warm snoozy bed :)

Great advice given- I too use a teaspoon of pumpkin - I get Libby's 100% pure pumpkin - I warm a teaspoon amount of pumpkin in the microwave and sprinkle mix in powdered l-lysine- he seems to like it a few seconds warmed better-

Note not all kitties like pumpkin- only 1 kitty here will touch it

The help center forum has great info! Fire away any questions too! We all learn and grow together -

Has Gabbi been vet checked ? Shots? I would give a call to the vet for a baseline health check exam - many kitties get stressed with moving etc and just need a little bit of meds to get their systems back in order while they settle in

I have no experience with weaning paste -- so can't help there -

Looking forward to your Gabbi tales and pics!

Keep us posted!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi--welcome to the best site on the "net! Your baby is adorable--she looks a bit like my Cleopatra! Diarrhea is not uncommon when a kitten relocates to it's new home, but as several others have said, it is always best to test a stool sample for parasites. We have had our share of it, especially with the Sphynxes. They seem to get it easier than other breeds. One thing I can recommend is that you read cat food labels carefully.
Our kitten, Marcus, gets really bad diarrhea whenever he eats anything that has grains in it. This includes foods with any kind of gluten on the label.
We give all the cats a teaspoonful of pumpkin in their canned food (raw for Marcus) whenever we feed them. If Marcus gets constipated, then we cut it back to once a day. Both Cleo and Marcus will eat pumpkin seperately, but we found that it's easier to mix with the food.

Good luck with your problem. I have found that Cleo had sensitivities when she was small that caused diarrhea, and she grew out of them for the most part. Hopefully your baby will do this too.

Back