Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice on L-Lysine

Jasmine

Lairian
Hiya, I'm hoping i can get some advice on L-Lysine as i am a new spyhnx owner and feel it could help out my little girl.

My kitten Khaleesi had an eye infection when i first got her and the vet gave me some eye drops to help clear it up as it was quite bad. The eye drops have definitely done the job as they are no were near as bad as they have been but i find im still having to clean her eyes nearly every day due to quite alot of gooey build up. I understand that sphynx's are prone to dirty eyes anyway but i wasn't sure if its normal for me to have to clean them up as much as i currently am, and i cannot leave them as they build up and i worry she is uncomfortable.

Like i say, her eyes are no were near as bad as when she had an infection, but i wondered if L-Lysine would give her any relief? I have read about it a little but i'm not fully aware of what it is and if it can help her. Ive seen it in some medicine shops but wasn't sure on getting it without feeling 100% confident it'll do her good.

I appreciate any help and thank you all for the warm welcome :D

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lysine can't hurt, that's for sure. It may give her the little boost she needs to get over the hurdle of goopey eyes. I'm hoping someone else can chime in, but I feel the Lysine could be a good option to try.

Sending healing vibes.

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It may help. I noticed if I stop giving Piper L-lysine treats or I just forget she has more discharge and red eye boogers the next day. The L-lysine seems to help with that.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
L- lysine is great. You need to give it every day. t's great Immune booster, cardio health and will help with lots of
issues. I use powder, you can mix in wet food daily. You have to make sure it's 100% no additives.
Give 250mg daily. heir 1000mg dose is for humans. But, if your cat gets a cold, uti, uri, give 500mg daily.
Here is a link you can order from.
Lysine Powder - 500 Grams

nickyvw

Lairian
Just checking in to see if the L-Lysine has helped? @Jasmine

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hiya, I'm hoping i can get some advice on L-Lysine as i am a new spyhnx owner and feel it could help out my little girl.

My kitten Khaleesi had an eye infection when i first got her and the vet gave me some eye drops to help clear it up as it was quite bad. The eye drops have definitely done the job as they are no were near as bad as they have been but i find im still having to clean her eyes nearly every day due to quite alot of gooey build up. I understand that sphynx's are prone to dirty eyes anyway but i wasn't sure if its normal for me to have to clean them up as much as i currently am, and i cannot leave them as they build up and i worry she is uncomfortable.

Like i say, her eyes are no were near as bad as when she had an infection, but i wondered if L-Lysine would give her any relief? I have read about it a little but i'm not fully aware of what it is and if it can help her. Ive seen it in some medicine shops but wasn't sure on getting it without feeling 100% confident it'll do her good.

I appreciate any help and thank you all for the warm welcome :D
L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats

Jasmine

Lairian
Hello everyone, sorry for the long absence.

I have put Khaleesi on l-lysine after making this post and has definitely made a difference. I also notice if she has missed a couple of days she tends to get gooey-er eyes again so i am glad they are helping her.

Thank you all so much for all your advice, this post really gave me the confidence to try her with it :)

Hope everyone is enjoying the new year so far :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Nice to see you popped back in and shared that L-Lysine has been beneficial for Khaleesi. We also continue to use it.

Patti

Nakidluvr

Banned
So I just came across this on the internet when I googled it and now I'm not sure cause if I want to use l lysine because a new study says l lysine is shown not to help at all but actually to hinder because "L-Lysine does not have antiviral properties, but researchers found that it does lower arginine levels. Arginine is an essential amino acid that is involved in a number of different functions, including wound healing, helping the kidneys filter waste products, and maintaining immune and hormone function."

So what is your take one this? One vet even said "Fern Crist, DVM, a former board member of the American Association of Feline Practitioners, says she can’t count the number of cats she’s put on L-Lysine over the more than 30 years she’s been practicing, but says that, based on these findings, “I’m inclined to stop using L-Lysine, at least for the time being, and wait for more information."

Here is the link to the article

Study Finds L-Lysine Does Not Decrease Symptoms of Feline Upper Respiratory Infections - The Conscious Cat

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I just came across this on the internet when I googled it and now I'm not sure cause if I want to use l lysine because a new study says l lysine is shown not to help at all but actually to hinder because "L-Lysine does not have antiviral properties, but researchers found that it does lower arginine levels. Arginine is an essential amino acid that is involved in a number of different functions, including wound healing, helping the kidneys filter waste products, and maintaining immune and hormone function."

So what is your take one this? One vet even said "Fern Crist, DVM, a former board member of the American Association of Feline Practitioners, says she can’t count the number of cats she’s put on L-Lysine over the more than 30 years she’s been practicing, but says that, based on these findings, “I’m inclined to stop using L-Lysine, at least for the time being, and wait for more information."

Study Finds L-Lysine Does Not Decrease Symptoms of Feline Upper Respiratory Infections - The Conscious Cat
I have owned this site for 7 years. I have seen 100's of cats here on my site that have had URI type issues and the owners using Lysine had given feedback that it has improved the health of their cats as far as the URI or Feline Herpes symptoms, including my own cat who has a cold once in awhile, sneezing to be specific . Also, I'm sure if you "Google" enough, you will find some vet or article to contradict your findings. Not sure what to tell you beyond that fact except, it can't hurt try it, or perhaps it can, always check with your vet (I have seen vets prescribe Lysine also in some cases). :)

As always, check with your vet if your concerned about their health or before giving any type of medications or supplements.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

*points up* What @admin said.

You can find articles to support any theory on the 'net. Plus, some articles are older or disproven.

I think the continued success of using Lysine for humans and cats speaks for itself. There will always be an adverse reaction here and there to any treatment, but that small percentage is worth noting, but shouldn't sway.

Cheers.