Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice please

CleoBaby

Lairian
Okay, so I just got Cleo not even a month ago, and I can't describe how much I love her, and the breeder I got her from did say that she had litter box problems at her "first" owners house, but didn't have any at her house.
So...she is having litter box problems here, and I need help:Cry:
Getting rid of her is not an option, she just really needs to stop peeing/pooing outside the box. Sometimes she does fine and has no mistakes, other times I actually see her doing it outside.
So far I have changed the box. Changed the litter. And I have been cleaning it everyday or whenever she uses it. They use fresh step litter, her breeder was using some clay cr*p before. I have tried that worlds best cat litter..but my other cats will not use it..and imo it makes a big stink :ThumbsDown:
What else can I do?
I know that sometimes UTI's are a problem, so I am going to try and make her an appointment. I just need a new vet...
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated:Laugh:
I love this little misbehaving girl but this is driving me crazy!!!
Oh and I hope each and everyone of you has a happy safe new year!!

TotenEngel

Banned
What a headache! Poor you

Is she peeing/pooping just outside the box or just anywhere in the house? Is it one specific spot?
If the breeder had no problems, maybe find out what litter/box combo they were using and try that?
I agree that UTIs can be a cause but then I would think she would be pooing in the box OK.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe she does not like sharing with the other cats? If you have a room you can put her in for a few days with her own box and see if she goes in it then? If that is no help then I would see the vet.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I agree. Isolate her and see if she'll use her very own box. It's alot of work but its best to have one cat box for every cat in your house anyhow. Make sure to either clean a litter box very well so she cant smell others have used it. I always get new trays every 6 months or so because after a while of scratching around in them the plastic is compromised and traps in old odors and are difficult to clean.

If this doesn't work I'd have a vet check her for a UTI.

Goodluck, I hope this helps.

CleoBaby

Lairian
Thank you all!
She has been in my room for the past couple of days. I haven't let any cats into the room to use her box, and I just got her a new one. I have three other cats and three litter boxes, so each has their own. She does it right next to the box, pee and poo :Hysterical:
I didn't want to use the clay stuff, but what you said made sense...maybe she is used to it, so I will try it.
And I will be emailing her breeder to see what kind of box/name of litter she used.
Thanks again!
I am determined to "fix" Cleos problem:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thank you all!
She has been in my room for the past couple of days. I haven't let any cats into the room to use her box, and I just got her a new one. I have three other cats and three litter boxes, so each has their own. She does it right next to the box, pee and poo :Hysterical:
I didn't want to use the clay stuff, but what you said made sense...maybe she is used to it, so I will try it.
And I will be emailing her breeder to see what kind of box/name of litter she used.
Thanks again!
I am determined to "fix" Cleos problem:ThumbsUp:

Sounds like a good plan. Goodluck!!

bellasmom

Banned
I hope everything works out! litter box problems are the worst! My friend has a cat that does the same thing, likes to go right outside the box. So she has one box with litter and one box with nothing but a puppy pad in it. So the kitty now goes poop in the box with litter and pees in the one with the puppy pad.

Bella07

Banned
I haven't read the other responses yet, but in my experience, you need one litter box for every cat you have. If I were you, it seems like you need to give Cleo the clay litter that she used in her breeders home. Even if you need to use different types of litter, per each cat, I think that would work best. Good Luck with this :ThumbsUp:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Finicky Felines. I agree that a separate litter box is needed. If the clay does not work, try Feline Pine. It could be the texture on the paws. Good Luck.:ThumbsUp:

pooner

Banned
Pooner prefers the Worlds Best litter, I think its cause his breeder used it. At first I didn't like it because it doesn't mask odor very well however, it is flushable, so I moved his box to the bathroom so everytime I went in there I could scoop and flush the waste which really solved the odor issue. Now he is working on litter kwitter so soon he won't need litter anymore!
Good luck with your finicky little one :ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
Nothing new to add... Just wanted to wish you good luck with Cleo... What a good mom you are being so patient with your baby!!:ThumbsUp:

TotenEngel

Banned
maybe try putting some of those puppy training pads right next to the box? Doesnt solve the problem, but makes cleaning up a little easier while you iron out the problems??

Also, is it because she is sat in the box and ending up putting her bum over the edge when she goes? Just a thought but if thats the case maybe try a covered box that she can't miss?

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was also thinking covered litter box or a larger pan....if she is just hanging her butt out over the edge...

RoobasMommy

Lairian
Thank you all!
Thanks again!
I am determined to "fix" Cleos problem :ThumbsUp:

Hello! Sorry to hear about the litter box problems! I just wanted to share the advice my Veterinarian gives. He suggests one more litter box than cat. And to also have them located in different areas around the house. And as your already doing, clean out as frequent as possible.

For litter, I use "Sweat Scoop" for my bunch. It seems to work really well, and doesn't make my house smell. Also, when switching cat litters you want to do it overtime. In an order such as 1/4 new litter on bottom, 3/4 old litter on top, and after four litter box changes you should be using you new litter. I did this in one box, the other box I did all old litter, and the last box I filled with only the new litter.

Also wondering: Does she get in the box to pee/poo? Or does she pee/poo without even getting in?

Anyways, I wish you luck with conquering the litter box problems!! It's definitely hard to deal with, but don't give up!

Good luck. Happy New Years!!

CleoBaby

Lairian
Hello, and thank you!! :Smile:
I have tried a covered litter box...she wouldn't go in it.
I am def. going to put puppy pads outside the box...wish I would have thought of that sooner! :ThumbsUp: And I am going to get another litter box and put it next to hers.
She will go outside the box, right next to it. No bum hanging out or anything..she just goes outside :(
So far she hasn't made any accidents outside the box...I am literally patrolling her box to make sure its clean. I am pretty sure I found the cause of her doing her business outside...she will not use the box if there is "anything" inside of it. Crossing my fingers I am right...
Thanks!!!

Gizzymom

Banned
Hello, and thank you!! :Smile:
I have tried a covered litter box...she wouldn't go in it.
I am def. going to put puppy pads outside the box...wish I would have thought of that sooner! :ThumbsUp: And I am going to get another litter box and put it next to hers.
She will go outside the box, right next to it. No bum hanging out or anything..she just goes outside :(
So far she hasn't made any accidents outside the box...I am literally patrolling her box to make sure its clean. I am pretty sure I found the cause of her doing her business outside...she will not use the box if there is "anything" inside of it. Crossing my fingers I am right...
Thanks!!!

My Gizzy is like that... So I got a Litter Maid self cleaning litter box. That way, during the day when I am not home - the box cleans itself... and Gizzy can use his fresh clean bos so as to not soil his precious feeties..:Laugh:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear of your problem,

here is my advice, After you rule out litter and boxes etc, you need to be sure she does not have urinary crystals or a urinary tract infection as others had mentioned. Both of these conditions can cause pain while peeing, and cats blame the location instead of their bodies for the pain.

Therefore, they pee elsewhere in search of a place where it doesn't hurt. If the cat is still pooping in the box, this is even more likely (pooping wouldn't be painful). Both conditions, especially crystals, can become life-threatening if not treated, so have the cat checked immediately if in question!

Have it fixed if it isn't. Both males and females can have the urge to spray and mark territory if they aren't fixed.

You should have one box for each cat plus one more, so if you have 1 cat, you should have 2 boxes. Many cats like to poop and pee in different locations, so consider putting an extra box in the room where the cat is going (the cat may find this room to feel safer than wherever the current box is). I know you tried a box with a hood you said, some cats do not like the confined feeling hoods and rims can create.

How often do you scoop the litter box? You should be using clumping litter and scooping the box twice a day as well as dumping, scrubbing and refilling it at least once a month. Cats hate walking through their own poop and pee when they use the toilet, just like you would, and they have more sensitive noses than we do.

Does the cat dig much before using the box, only after, or not at all? Sometimes, when a cat doesn't dig around and often doesn't use the box, he doesn't like the litter. When you add a second box, you can try new litters in it if you think this could be an issue. See which box the cat uses more often.

When you clean the area the cat has peed or pooped on, use an enzyme cleaner in the to clean those areas (you can get this at any pet store - follow the directions on the bottle).

Good luck!:ThumbsUp:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You need to read Pam Johnson-Bennet's books
Starting from Scratch
Psycho Kitty
& Twisted Whiskers

These are wonderful books that help you understand why your kitty is doing what she is doing. they helped me a lot.

She also has some good videos on her website.

I had some issues with my Persian and had to invest in a large cat crate to retrain her. Now with the use of Feliway and some repositioning of boxes all is pee free.
No, it was not an easy task and yes I was very frustrated. Also the best enzyme cleaner I found was Urine-off.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You mentioned that Cleo had litter box troubles at her previous home although she has been fine with the breeder. Maybe is stressed facing so many changes. I would have her checked out by a vet just to rule out a UTI. Cats can be so stoic. I would also go back to whatever the breeder was using and see if it helps. I have never used Cat Attract litter but have heard good things about it. Also those feliway diffusers might be worth a try too. Good luck. I'm glad Cleo has someone so patient to help her through this.

Back