Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

LittlePablo

Lairian
Pablo is nearly 7 months old, at first he was so loving and would cwtch up on my lap, the last two months he has changed and seems to be getting worse every day. He is crazy, he runs around the house, Running back and forth the room, jumping around with all four paws off the floor, climbing up the curtains, and ripping up the carpet.
He constantly attacks me, he will latch onto my hand and sink his teeth into my skin and scram my hands to bits. I could be watching tv and he will jump and attack my face.
If I walk down the stairs he latches on to my legs and bites me.
He attacks the dog, which is a quiet french bull dog who wouldn’t hurt a fly, who has now become used to being attacked by the kitten. I feel like I have tried everything, I have bought him a number of toys, I will not play with him using my hands so he knows that hands are not a toy that he can scratch and bite...
he has a huge cat tree. He has plenty of love and attention from us. He is on hyper-allergenic cat food. I don’t know if this if a phase or what I can do.
I have tried ignoring him when he’s being naughty which doesn’t work.
I have tried putting him in another room for five minutes after he’s attacked me but he just scratches the door, once I let him again he will attack me again seconds later.
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can try I would be very grateful as we love him to bits but he is just way to hyper and aggressive at the moment.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Pablo is nearly 7 months old, at first he was so loving and would cwtch up on my lap, the last two months he has changed and seems to be getting worse every day. He is crazy, he runs around the house, Running back and forth the room, jumping around with all four paws off the floor, climbing up the curtains, and ripping up the carpet.
He constantly attacks me, he will latch onto my hand and sink his teeth into my skin and scram my hands to bits. I could be watching tv and he will jump and attack my face.
He attacks the dog, which is a quiet french bull dog who wouldn’t hurt a fly, who has now become used to being attacked by the kitten. I feel like I have tried everything, I have bought him a number of toys, I will not play with him using my hands so he knows that hands are not a toy that he can scratch and bite...
he has a huge cat tree. He has plenty of love and attention from us. He is on hyper-allergenic cat food. I don’t know if this if a phase or what I can do.
I have tried putting him in another room for five minutes after he’s attacked me but he just scratches the door, once I let him again he will attack me again seconds later.
If anyone has any suggestions on what I can try I would be very grateful as we love him to bits but he is just way to hyper and aggressive at the moment.

@LittlePablo generally I have found boys cats are like this. What I found works is redirecting. Using plenty of time a day for playtime. Lots of toys that he can chase, soft toys that he can bunny kick and bite to get that aggression out and blankets that he can bite on the ground and shake and get his aggression out. It’s really good that your cat has so much energy and runs around. It’s notorious for sphynx to run around and act crazy so that shows your cat is nice and healthy. You can also buy a laser pointer toy to play with. If verbal saying no does not stop him from attacking you you can always try a water spray bottle. And also say no. But generally I find boys have this behaviour. Its about redirecting and playing and no.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LittlePablo , I totally understand.

my Toby was a terror. with a capital "T".
he would fly at me off the dresser etc. time outs etc, huffing and puffing. got him neutered and he is "Toby Love" now. very very cuddly , would not think it is the same kitty, he is now 7 and a love bug. closes his eyes for head smooches and kisses

LittlePablo

Lairian
@LittlePablo , I totally understand.

my Toby was a terror. with a capital "T".
he would fly at me off the dresser etc. time outs etc, huffing and puffing. got him neutered and he is "Toby Love" now. very very cuddly , would not think it is the same kitty, he is now 7 and a love bug. closes his eyes for head smooches and kisses

This post made me smile! I think getting him neutered is the way forward as nothing seems to work or calm him down! At the moment I can’t even go near him without getting attacked. How long after he was neutered did his behaviour change?

LittlePablo

Lairian
@LittlePablo generally I have found boys cats are like this. What I found works is redirecting. Using plenty of time a day for playtime. Lots of toys that he can chase, soft toys that he can bunny kick and bite to get that aggression out and blankets that he can bite on the ground and shake and get his aggression out. It’s really good that your cat has so much energy and runs around. It’s notorious for sphynx to run around and act crazy so that shows your cat is nice and healthy. You can also buy a laser pointer toy to play with. If verbal saying no does not stop him from attacking you you can always try a water spray bottle. And also say no. But generally I find boys have this behaviour. Its about redirecting and playing and no.

I have tried so many different toys, he could be running around for 2 hours straight and does not want a nap, his energy is unreal! he knows they no means no but chooses to ignore it, as he will stop for a split second and then attack you again.. I have never tried a water bottle because pablo loves water, as he will try to jump in the sink, and shower and sometimes evens the toilet if the bathroom door is left open... I have tried redirecting his behaviour into other things but he finds attacking people much more fun ‍♀️
people are suggesting getting him neutered so I think this may be the way forward for this little guy

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
No he isn’t? So do you think getting him neutered would help?

Yes it helps. Kittens are rambunctious and not neutered on top of it yikes lol. He’ll calm down after a couple of weeks of it being done and the hormones settle. Also a reminder to make sure your vet doesn’t use Ketamine for the anesthesia.

Thought you might like this info:

LittlePablo

Lairian
Yes it helps. Kittens are rambunctious and not neutered on top of it yikes lol. He’ll calm down after a couple of weeks of it being done and the hormones settle. Also a reminder to make sure your vet doesn’t use Ketamine for the anesthesia.

Thought you might like this info:

that’s great, thank you! Il be calling the vet later today to book him in! Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LittlePablo , it took a couple of weeks for hormones to settle after his Neuter. when he was bad I would tell him " Toby have love" scruff him and give him time outs, he was like a wild child. scary. ~ now the nickname stuck nearly 8 years later "Toby Love"

remember NO ketamine anesthesia as it can have a rebound affect on heart. I have vet mark their charts NO ketamine,,

here in US I ask my vet to confirm using Isoflurane/propofol or similar ahead of time. the neuter surgery for males goes very quickly. he didn't even need a cone . rested for the day and was moving up and about by nighttime. hugs n head smooches, please keep us updated.

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Pablo was neutered on the 14th September, he seems to be worse than he was before, his behaviour has escalated...
He rips up the carpet, he attacks me for no reason, he’s horrible to the dog.. I don’t know what else I can do
Any suggestions?
My Loki who is 8 is quite aggressive. He is nasty with the kitten, he lashes out at the dog most of the time if he cannot be doing with something he is doing
He also sometimes swipes me as I come downstairs and will bite me!
He has been like this since a kitten and is something I have just had to adapt to and learn to control him by just cuddling him when he goes abit to far
He hasn’t ripped carpets or anything like that he is just really quite aggressive at times, hold him down in a nice warm blankie maybe when he starts his episodes❤️

smgarcia

Lairian
Hi, mother to a boy Sphynx here! I nicknamed him my sour patch kid when he was a kitten because he was veryyy sour, then only once tired was he sweet. He is 2 now and has grown out of it and spends all day sleeping in my lap and loving me. I hate to say it but 7 months is prime time for evil kittens!! He will grow out of it. Neutering may help... BUT you will still have to wait it out a little as I neutered my kitten at 6 months and it didn't stop til about a year.

He would look me in the eye and I could tell he is winding up to give me a chomp on the arm! I would say NO and he would put his ears back and it would only make him MORE MAD I swear! Quite funny thinking about it now.

Tips from my experience: Locking away in a room did nothing for me, ignoring did nothing for me. The only thing that worked was legitimately getting up and walking into another room, which is exhausting to do each time but does get the message across

Sheldon13

Staff member
I agree I think giving it more time is a good idea. Great idea to walk out of the room as well.

As a last resort you can take him to a behaviorist. They may be able to give you tools to use with him and if all else fails there are medications you can try. But I think give a little time first.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Lukassmile

Lairian
omg the little weasel! I can’t help but chuckle at the swimming in the toilet. I was a teacher pre-Covid and I would always get such a kick out of the misbehaved kids and the tantrums. I have no idea why, something about the pure dramatics and hysteria would crack me up. Okay okay, but I can’t imagine living with a kitten who is terrorizing everything.

I know nothing about this but I’ve heard CBD can be helpful for calming animals. I have no idea how or if it’s safe forgrowing kittens. it’s, from what I’ve heard, used for calming with traveling etc, but it might be worth looking into. (please please correct me I do NOT want to aid in spreading miss information!)

I wonder if Pablo is more toy or treat motivated? Positive reinforcement I always find to best way to train something. And a clicker is helpful.

everything i suggesting I’ve never actually tried, full disclosure. I am wishing you and Pablo all the best! Hope updates are that his hormones are settling down and he doesn’t have to go to juvi hehe

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LittlePablo poor thing.

Something is making him feel out of sorts.

@LittlePablo try to be his psychologist and watch when he is feeling out of sorts take note of the environment at the time so you can identify what his triggers are.

Once you identify his triggers then you know what aggravate him feeling bad.

Also you can get a water spray bottle and when you say no or ah ah you can squirt a little bit of water as well if the verbal commands don’t work.

What food are you feeding him does it have any artificial colours or flavours sometimes this can cause hyperactivity and aggression.

LittlePablo

Lairian
Thank you all for your suggestions!
I will try all that you mentioned! I just think he needs to grow out of what ever phase this is!
He just looks so sweet and harmless... but he’s the opposite
He’s a funny little character that seems to target me at the moment.
Bath time tonight, which means his nails to be trimmed... this will be fun
He doesn’t like me on the best of days! Haha!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thank you all for your suggestions!
I will try all that you mentioned! I just think he needs to grow out of what ever phase this is!
He just looks so sweet and harmless... but he’s the opposite
He’s a funny little character that seems to target me at the moment.
Bath time tonight, which means his nails to be trimmed... this will be fun
He doesn’t like me on the best of days! Haha!

How does he take to baths?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Neivis

Lairian
Hey i was wondering if pablo has change?? Im having the exact problem with Zak my baby sphynx he is 8 months old, i dont know what else to do , my hands are literally destroy by him, i want to know if pablo change and what help? Thank youu!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think the point @Yoda mom was making about young cats is valid....younger cats cause more havoc because they have more energy to spend and don't find good ways to spend it. I would try playing with them, especially with toys that they can pounce on "get their cat on" so to speak. And keep reminding yourself they will grow out of it because they will :)

Back