Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

aggressive sphynx?

silly4lilly

Lairian
Hi all,

Has anyone heard of or know of a sphynx who had had a change of personality? My mother in law has a sphynx named Max. He was not fixed and the last few weeks he was acting aggressive, i.e. hissing, and his ears back. So, she got him fixed on Saturday. He also got a rabies shot.

Also, one of his ears had a slight infection as there was a piece of cotton from a Q-tip that got stuck, so they gave her drops.

Yesterday, he slept the whole day. Today, he was up a little bit, but he is still acting aggressive. Any idea what's going on? We told her it may still be from the shot, his ear, and the neutering and to just give it a few days...but I wanted to ask if anyone had an experience like this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm sure the ear infection could put him in a bad enough mood to make him that way. Sleeping alot could be from his meds and just not feeling well. As long as he isn't hurting himself I'd just give him his space for a couple of days and keep tight tabs on him. If it doesn't pass after day 3 on meds I'd contact the vet again. Something else could be going on. Has he been in contact with any other animals or been injured by any?

Brooke

Banned
Hi all,

Has anyone heard of or know of a sphynx who had had a change of personality? My mother in law has a sphynx named Max. He was not fixed and the last few weeks he was acting aggressive, i.e. hissing, and his ears back. So, she got him fixed on Saturday. He also got a rabies shot.

Also, one of his ears had a slight infection as there was a piece of cotton from a Q-tip that got stuck, so they gave her drops.

Yesterday, he slept the whole day. Today, he was up a little bit, but he is still acting aggressive. Any idea what's going on? We told her it may still be from the shot, his ear, and the neutering and to just give it a few days...but I wanted to ask if anyone had an experience like this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
If he was having any pain from his ear infection, that could explain the aggressive behavior. Also, if there were any other cats wandering around outside her house (especially another unaltered male), he may have been responding to that.

I would give some time for the infection to clear up and see if that doesn't help. Also, keep in mind that even though he's been neutered, he is still fertile for a few weeks and it will take some time for the testosterone to completely leave his system. So, any aggression that may be related to his hormones will not go away immediately after surgery - it could take up to 3 months.

To give an idea, my boy Walter was neutered at age 2 but was just a pet that had never been around other cats, and it took about 3 weeks for his urine to stop smelling like "tom-cat" urine and for him to stop calling and pacing around the house like whole males do. However, Nelson was a breeding stud, and it took almost 3 full months after his surgery at 3 years for him to settle down and to lose some of his male aggression.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lilly,
Sorry to hear about Max. It sounds like a few things happened that are effecting him. The getting fixed, infection and shot are a lot to swallow all at one time. I would give him a few days to see if he gets better. Im sure this is what it is.:ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

silly4lilly

Lairian
Thanks guys. I figured it was probably because of his ear. She was getting worried so I told her I would check with my sphynx people :Smile:. I will relay the information to her.

PS: Christina & Snuffie, Max has not been in contact with any other animals and has not been injured.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have had cats, sphynx and regular dsh's become aggressive suddenly due to other cats outside spraying. I would give it a couple of weeks and then look into it further. Is the cat aggressive with humans or other cats/animals? Cats can get very upset with changes in smells, either from a smell you or another animal picks up and brings home or from smells of other animals marking territory outside. Cats are territorial.

Ear and Dental pain is the highest of any other body part for all animlas including humans, so the ear infection probably plays a big part.

Cats do not show signs of pain like we do, because in the wild if they showed weakness they would become prey to another animal....so if a cat is in pain/discomfort they may act aggressive so they do not appear weak/injured.

Sara074

Lairian
I also believe that it stems from the infection of the ear.

I am going to tell you my history:
I had a Persian cat that has already died (12 years). I come to my house and tapeworm only 2 months, I raised her, it was cleaning it, was giving him meal, was sleeping in my bed. I became independent and went away of house of my mother and the cat remained with my mother. At the age of 6 months his character change became aggressive with my mother, it was attacking him with aggressiveness and then it was going for his caresses, as if it had not happened at all.
The veterinarian said that it was for a change in house.

The cats he likes his things and his routine, for a simple change be big or small, if it affects the cat it can become aggressive.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i was going to post something about this because maggie always growls & hisses @ me & my family & bites very hard!!!! I have never seen a cat act like this! maybe shes just a brat kitten idk???? If u move her when she doesnt want to be moved or sometimes when u touch her she will hiss or growl!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a very aggressive male sphynx. He's an abused rescue so i'm not that surprised, but a couple of my sphynx breeder friends have said that he acts just like a whole tom cat :Dizzy: He's slowly getting better but I still won't allow young children or other animals near him.

I hope it will wear off after a few weeks.

X

Sara074

Lairian
Are there changes in house? A new member?
They they do not like the changes, the sand-dealer, his bowl of meal... they can become nervous and to change his character. A change in his routine or in you also there can be stress.
For example, you have changed his perfume. Small changes in you or in his things or in his schedule, sometimes it produces stress and his character can change. They need time.

Also it can be that it hurts him a little, hurts him and does not want that you touch him.

silly4lilly

Lairian
Are there changes in house? A new member?
They they do not like the changes, the sand-dealer, his bowl of meal... they can become nervous and to change his character. A change in his routine or in you also there can be stress.
For example, you have changed his perfume. Small changes in you or in his things or in his schedule, sometimes it produces stress and his character can change. They need time.

Also it can be that it hurts him a little, hurts him and does not want that you touch him.
The only change I can think of is that she babysits her grandkids two times a week. one is 3 yrs and the other is 8 months old. But, she puts Max in his room when they are there

Sara074

Lairian
Creo que sera la infeccion de oído.
Tambien puede ser los nuevos miembros. Los gatos son muy territoriales, sus nietos invaden su territorio, gritan, juegan, corren, y dejan olores que no conocen, eso puede ponerlo nervioso y estresarlo.
Paciencia, mi gata atacaba a mi madre durante casi 7 meses. Frenara su caracter agresivo, cuando se costume a la nueva situacion, el tiempo que ella necesite.

Cuando su oído se cure y sigue su caracter agresivo, seran los cambios.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to say it has to do with the ear infection. Tell mom no more q-tips only cotton balls!:Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: