Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Air ionizer?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greetings fellow earthlings again,

Today, I was working my court ordered community restitution. It's ordered by the court but I'm still a volunteer. Go figure.

Anyway, a nice old man today wanted to donate many wonderful things to the charity I was working for. Among the items were 5 or 6 air ionizers. We brought them back to the shop and were told to put them on the "scrap truck". It breaks my heart watching these perfectly fine items going to the scrap yard. So I decided just to keep one for myself. I can't believe some of the things that get "scrapped". Flat screen computer monitors, working refrigerators, model train sets, bicycles, and lawn equipment to name a few. It's very frustrating.

It breaks my heart every day watching these wonderful people thinking their donations are going to help someone who needs it when in reality the charity gets a couple of bucks for recycling the metal.

Sorry about that. Just needed to vent. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had experience with air ionizers. Do they work for odor control?

Thanks much.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Greetings fellow earthlings again,

Today, I was working my court ordered community restitution. It's ordered by the court but I'm still a volunteer. Go figure.

Anyway, a nice old man today wanted to donate many wonderful things to the charity I was working for. Among the items were 5 or 6 air ionizers. We brought them back to the shop and were told to put them on the "scrap truck". It breaks my heart watching these perfectly fine items going to the scrap yard. So I decided just to keep one for myself. I can't believe some of the things that get "scrapped". Flat screen computer monitors, working refrigerators, model train sets, bicycles, and lawn equipment to name a few. It's very frustrating.

It breaks my heart every day watching these wonderful people thinking their donations are going to help someone who needs it when in reality the charity gets a couple of bucks for recycling the metal.

Sorry about that. Just needed to vent. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had experience with air ionizers. Do they work for odor control?

Thanks much.

I have experience with them since my, eh, indoors cultivating days but they are not really effective for odour control. More for dust particles and such but even for that it's efficiency is debated .
The only thing that is effective against stuff like this is active charcoal filters and THAT I have a lot of experience in and can tell you it works perfect. Even for my needs before, cleaning 280 cubic meters of air an hour in a grow room, it was 100% effective.
I built in a computer fan to a litter box once (one with roof and filter) and forced the air through the filter and that litter box didn't smell if it was full and you stayed 2 feet away from it. ;)

Ionizers are best for smokers. There is a problem with them though and that is that they force the particles out of the air and make them stick to surfaces such as walls creating a helluva mess if you use them much in a dusty/smoky area.

Filter and low capacity fan is the way to go. Computer fans are great for this.

Last edited:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Court ordered restitution??

A "grow room"??

Do I even want to ask?? :Hysterical:

Strawberrys and cucumbers stink up the place bad if you dont ventilate through effective filters. :Wink:

All in the past though, don't grow vegetables anymore. Contrary to popular belief they can cause severe restriction in your ability to move around freely for 1-3 years.
A good steak will never do that.

Gizzymom

Banned
Strawberrys and cucumbers stink up the place bad if you dont ventilate through effective filters. :Wink:

All in the past though, don't grow vegetables anymore. Contrary to popular belief they can cause severe restriction in your ability to move around freely for 1-3 years.
A good steak will never do that.

:Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical:

firehillqueen

Banned
Drat what a waste! Wish I could have grabbed one for myself... sigh.

I just had a conversation Sunday night with a friend of mine who works in the medical profession. He was telling me how wonderful air ionizers are for removing cat box odor and everyone should have one for their health. He owns a cat and swears by his room air ionizer.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
HAHA- this thread is a riot!! :LOL:Anyway, I bought 3 Cat-it ion deoderizers at PetSmart to place near the litter boxes, & I have no idea if thety are doing anything or not! They are small units that you place just beside the litter box. Anyone else have any experience with ion deoderizers? :Dizzy:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, whatever you want to believe as a buyer of these products the fact of the matter is that an Ionizer do not scrub odor out of the air well.
It has little, at best often none, impact on molecular level and that is what stinks up the air from a litter box. With particles however it's another thing. What it does is charging particles and then catching them but that is very ineffective with gases/odors.

However... Many ionizers do have filters as well and those are active charcoal filters and those filters do clean the odor. That's a 2 stage purifer in which the ionizer do one part of the job and the filter another. There are even three stage purifiers with an UV filter that kills bacteria and even viruses. Basically those force the air first through the Ionizer then to a particle trap, then to the UV filter which is basically a UV light that kills bacteria and viruses, then last through an active charcoal filter that kills the odour.

For the reason of just controling odor from a cats litterbox the first two steps are more or less meaningless compared to the filter so if you wanna control odor effectivelly from a litterbox just go for filtration (has to be an active charcoal filter ofc).

Easiest way of doing this is to buy a litterbox with a filter and mount a small fan to it. A computer cooling fan is easiest, cheapest and best. Cost like $12.

In Mikes case you will soon get to know that no, it is not very effective sadly IF it does not also have a filter in it. The cost of running a whole ionizer just for pumping air through a filter is quite cost ineffective though.

The best private use for ionizers are for smokers.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Love this thread- it started as a ionizer and ended up with community service and grow room. You guys just reminded me of the good 'ol college days:LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, whatever you want to believe as a buyer of these products the fact of the matter is that an Ionizer do not scrub odor out of the air well.
It has little, at best often none, impact on molecular level and that is what stinks up the air from a litter box. With particles however it's another thing. What it does is charging particles and then catching them but that is very ineffective with gases/odors.

However... Many ionizers do have filters as well and those are active charcoal filters and those filters do clean the odor. That's a 2 stage purifer in which the ionizer do one part of the job and the filter another. There are even three stage purifiers with an UV filter that kills bacteria and even viruses. Basically those force the air first through the Ionizer then to a particle trap, then to the UV filter which is basically a UV light that kills bacteria and viruses, then last through an active charcoal filter that kills the odour.

For the reason of just controling odor from a cats litterbox the first two steps are more or less meaningless compared to the filter so if you wanna control odor effectivelly from a litterbox just go for filtration (has to be an active charcoal filter ofc).

Easiest way of doing this is to buy a litterbox with a filter and mount a small fan to it. A computer cooling fan is easiest, cheapest and best. Cost like $12.

In Mikes case you will soon get to know that no, it is not very effective sadly IF it does not also have a filter in it. The cost of running a whole ionizer just for pumping air through a filter is quite cost ineffective though.

The best private use for ionizers are for smokers.

Apparently it's a pretty good one. It's got the UV filter. It emits a pretty distinct odor which I read is ozone.

ktate88

Banned
Apparently it's a pretty good one. It's got the UV filter. It emits a pretty distinct odor which I read is ozone.

Well that can't be good!!

I have my brothers air purifier because when I moved into this apartment it smelled a bit stale and smokey. It helped with that, and it is an excellent "fan" in the living room since there is no ceiling fan. :ThumbsUp:

Odor control...I put a zeopack next to Niles box...no significant odor decrease

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As a matter of fact Mike, I just got my second ionizer today so I could put this one in the kitchen, (the other is in the living room). I was super thrilled to find it at the door step. Heaven Fresh (HF 200 Ionic Air Purifier) at $59.00 is a super product that takes odors out of the air. Mom cooked some venison that she thought was backstrap----it must have been last years dear shank ----yucky stinky. (but the cats loved the bits she chopped up for them). Anywho I plugged in the new one and WaLa stink was gone in 20 min. To clean you unscrew the bottom plate and wipe the metal bars. No fuss, no filters, no extra expense. LOVE this product.:Smile::Smile::Smile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I hope not.
If it emits enough ozone to smell it can be dangerous. It isn't a high capasity ionizer you've got there? One for offices or something like that or did u just smell close to it?

Ozone
Some ionizers produce ozone, an unstable variation of the oxygen molecule. Ozone can react to certain cleaning products in a way that creates formaldehyde, a compound known to cause cancer. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) declares that ozone may also "worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections." The agency has published a comprehensive guide, identifying the names and dangers of common household airborne pollutants.

Read more: Breathing Ionizer Dangers | LIVESTRONG.COM

However... An ionizer that emits high levels of ozone also is better at masking smell. Not like active filtration but much better than others as ozone reacts with organic molecules.

Bad in one end, good in another. I have read warnings about using high ozone emitters close to plants ( :Wink: ) or pets somewhere but can't seem to find it right now. That was during long periods of time by the way but how they defined that I don't remember either.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
They are great for getting smoke particles or dust out of the air. Jimmy has allergies so we use ours alot to keep the dust down. I can't say they help for oders so much. Snuffie and SoBe can still make us leave a room at times! lol

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi All! As I said, I have 3 Cat-it ion deoderizers near the cat boxes, but I don't know if it helps or not. So...I may just get rid of them, since so many articles I have read say that they emitt ozone, which can be harmful. I really don't understand how they can be sold if they are harmful, but better safe than sorry!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Alphabet, but read the first paragraph:
A breathing ionizer is an air purifying device that uses electricity to clear toxins from the environment. The ionizer releases negatively charged particles that attach to airborne impurities. The resultant fragments then absorb, harmlessly, into a neutral surface. While many air ionizer users report positive results, a few risks have been associated with using the device.

There may be long-term problems if the ionizer is not used correctly. I have one in my house and it clears out odors. That is why I bought it. If you "smell" the ions then the seeting and applications are not right.

Just my 2 bits.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you can smell the ozone, you need to git rid of the ionizer. Ozone is a 'great' free radical. A properly working ionizer merely gives particulate matter a charge -- exactly like static cling. If it putting out so much of a charge that the oxygen in the air (o2) is reforming into ozone (o3) -- it's not in good shape.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm, the instructions mentioned the smell was normal. It's a fancy model. It's got "ozone guard" with ultraviolet germicidal protection.

The general instructions state:
What is the clean fresh scent I smell?
The scent is ozone, (O3), a combination of three oxygen atoms. (The US government has set safe standards for ozone and the Ionic Breeze complies with those standards.)

Everything seems on the up and up. I've been turning it off but I think I'll let it run. It's got a negative ion feature with OzoneGuard. So it's supposed to turn ground level ozone into oxygen.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmm, the instructions mentioned the smell was normal. It's a fancy model. It's got "ozone guard" with ultraviolet germicidal protection.

The general instructions state:
What is the clean fresh scent I smell?
The scent is ozone, (O3), a combination of three oxygen atoms. (The US government has set safe standards for ozone and the Ionic Breeze complies with those standards.)

Everything seems on the up and up. I've been turning it off but I think I'll let it run. It's got a negative ion feature with OzoneGuard. So it's supposed to turn ground level ozone into oxygen.

I am sure it is up to safety standards and those are measured in amount of ozone per volume of air. If your ionizer is made to "work" in a big office and you put it in a small room however it might just pump out dangerous amounts of ozone.

Exemple:
" the air ionizer by Alpine produces far too much ozone, which can lead to eye and nasal irritations. Although to be fair, the company does have room-size recommendations for their machines and many of the complaints may have been a result of the unit being used in too small a room."

You should be able to smell ozone if you put your nose close to the machine but if you feel it in the room it's way too much.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know if it's just me, but I've been sleeping much better the past few nights.