Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Alice keeps peeing in the corners!

Alice is about a year and a half old, and in the last 6 or so months, maybe a bit longer she's been peeing in places that are not the litter box.

First it was under the table in the corner, and we thought she felt safe there, so we put a littler box there just for her. Then she started peeing down the hall by the door to the garage, and now, literally 5 minutes ago she peed behind the TV in the bedroom.

It's just pee, and just a little, she gets yelled at and squirted with a water bottle, but it doesn't help.

But why? The litter boxes are clean, she's getting food, she doesn't have a UTI and none of the other cats are being aggressive around the time she does it. None of her food has changed and neither has the litter.

My best guess is she's lonely, she does it when we leave her alone (not completely, she has my mother and some other cats but not my husband or I some days) we're not gone for the whole day, just for a few hours. She used to come with us everywhere but now it's hot so I don't want her getting heat stroke.

Any ideas?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like we are having a bit of the same problem? Well kind of, Deejay has started peeing in the bedroom that we use as the cat room, but he pees a big streem infront of the litter box like he is trying to make a wall to keep the other cats out. I just bought the feliway difuser $45 a bit pricy but I have to try something because nothing else has worked? It is supposed to calm the cat and end stuff like this. It says it works 95% of the time?? well I am sure I will be the 5% that it will not work for but I will let you know how it goes.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wish I could help. I have a DSH who used to be a litter box Diva and would do her own thing until I figured out that she has specific demands that must be met. Her litter box needs to be covered, the plastic pan itself must be in like new condition with a smooth surface, the box must be placed in a quiet place away from regular family noise and traffic, and minimally filled with plain unscented clay litter. The trial and error period was very frustrating but worth it when I got it right. We haven't had a problem in years.

susi794

Staff member
Mabel had litter box rules too--everything had to be just so or she would make her displeasure known. I've also used the feliway diffuser. Have there ever been any other cats that have peed where she is peeing? You might just have to really douse the area with enzymatic cleanser. If she is doing it to make some kind of statement to you, then you will just have to try to figure it out. How many litterboxes do you have? One for every cat plus one?

Mabel had litter box rules too--everything had to be just so or she would make her displeasure known. I've also used the feliway diffuser. Have there ever been any other cats that have peed where she is peeing? You might just have to really douse the area with enzymatic cleanser. If she is doing it to make some kind of statement to you, then you will just have to try to figure it out. How many litterboxes do you have? One for every cat plus one?

We have 5 boxes and 5 cats and I keep trying to get another but they keep destroying any new ones. None of the other cats have ever peed in my room or anywhere else that we've seen so I don't know. I've scrubbed the areas really well and used a shampooer so I don't know.

I'll try finding another box they wont destroy on the off chance she's just protesting.

I was having issues with Gable spraying and then peeing in inappropriate places. I bought the Feliway diffuser and also changed litter. I decided to try different litter when I watched him go over to his box. Put his front feet in, got out and walked away and then proceeded to go pee behind the TV.

I tried the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. I was previously using silica crystals. I hadn't even got the hood on the box when both cats were in the box going! I have added the regular Dr. Elsey's Precious Ultra to the Cat Attract and I have not had one instance of peeing or spraying since!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
A real stumper here! I would have her re-tested for UTI just incase and also start your trial and errors with a new box in a quiet place....

Does she poo in the box?

A real stumper here! I would have her re-tested for UTI just incase and also start your trial and errors with a new box in a quiet place....

Does she poo in the box?

Yeah she poos in the box, and usually she pees in it too, but sometimes she'll just go over and pee in the corner, or by the door leading to the garage.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know you said the UTI was ruled out, so you had a vet check up to rule this out? When you say a "little" bit of pee, that is concerning. Generally a "little" bit of pee is a clear sign of a UTI.

Bella07

Banned
Perhaps it could be just a "stage." A few years ago when my DLH was around 3, she started peeing in places where she was not supposed to. Ex; on my bed, on my laundry basket, rugs, in the bathtub, or on my carpet. Yes, she would still use her litterbox, just would go pee some more in the above mentioned places :Sweat: She did this for 2 summers, each lasted for around 3 months.

She is almot 7 now, and knock on wood, she is still behaving and hasn't started peeing in the wrong places. :Smile: I think it must have something to do with hormones being out of whack during the changing year, and they start acting out of the ordinary.....Hmmm, I would love to give you a magic answer to your problem but can't....Good Luck. Hopefully she'll grow out of this stage soon.

I know you said the UTI was ruled out, so you had a vet check up to rule this out? When you say a "little" bit of pee, that is concerning. Generally a "little" bit of pee is a clear sign of a UTI.

Oh wow I didn't know that. Okay it's back to the vet we go then because now I'm scared he missed something.

Jenna311

Lairian
My Persian used to the same thing.But we figured out if was because she was mad. I moved out of my parents house and couldnt take her with me. And both of my parents dont like cats so they just fed and cleaned her. But when I came back to visit for a few weeks. She didnt pee anywhere but her box. And my Brother moved back in the house for the summer and he loves her and is always petting her and holding her and she hasnt peed anywhere but her litter box. Maybe your kitty just wants more attention.

My Persian used to the same thing.But we figured out if was because she was mad. I moved out of my parents house and couldnt take her with me. And both of my parents dont like cats so they just fed and cleaned her. But when I came back to visit for a few weeks. She didnt pee anywhere but her box. And my Brother moved back in the house for the summer and he loves her and is always petting her and holding her and she hasnt peed anywhere but her litter box. Maybe your kitty just wants more attention.

It's possible. She tends to do it right after I leave the house (my mom sees it) or right after I come home. I thought maybe it was because she slept while I was gone then woke up and had to pee but she could have been angry that I left without her.

Back