Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Alimentation intolerance

Naboo75

Lairian
Good evening,

I'd like some advice on sphynx alimentation...

My little Naboo, 3 years old, has always had stools (very soft) at the limit of diarrhea...

I tried a lot of different food at the beginning and the only ones that do the job (and that's a big word) are the " royal canin sphynx" (not ideal, and always terrible stools)

I'd like to try to fix his food intolerance problem (even the vet has given up) . Do you have any advice???

Ps: The raw alimentation is not a solution, I tried 2 weeks, and it was terrible. :'(

Best regards,
Amélie & Naboo

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You can, it’s just easier with wet...it might take a couple of days to firm up as well...keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
mine likes a little canned 100 % pure pumpkin separate as a little treat in his bowl, eats it right up. he likes it heated a tiny bit. many use probiotics, fortiflora sprinkled on kibble too. keep us updated. make sure to check canned pumpkin ingredients, 100% pumpkin No spices

I believe @Xandria has used pure psyllium husk

Naboo75

Lairian
Good morning, everyone,

I'm coming back to you because I'm desperate.

After all the episodes of diarrhea, we wanted to do all the necessary tests to find out where his digestive problem could come from and all the tests came back negative !
Which is very comforting but leaves us without solutions.

We switched to Specific Food Allergen kibbles.
There is a light improvement but the stools remain rather soft.

The pumpkin didn't work and the vet wants to try new kibbles: Purina HA. Does anyone know it?
I have to admit that I'm tired of changing the diet all the time (especially during the transition period). Moreover, he can only eat dry food... I'm afraid of deficiencies...

Thank you for your help,
Amélie & Naboo.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14

Sheldon13

Staff member
Have you tried a protein elimination diet? I am concerned that he possibly has an allergy to something b usually the culprit is chicken but not always. Sometimes there can be an allergy to multiple proteins even. @Xandria

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good morning, everyone,

I'm coming back to you because I'm desperate.

After all the episodes of diarrhea, we wanted to do all the necessary tests to find out where his digestive problem could come from and all the tests came back negative !
Which is very comforting but leaves us without solutions.

We switched to Specific Food Allergen kibbles.
There is a light improvement but the stools remain rather soft.

The pumpkin didn't work and the vet wants to try new kibbles: Purina HA. Does anyone know it?
I have to admit that I'm tired of changing the diet all the time (especially during the transition period). Moreover, he can only eat dry food... I'm afraid of deficiencies...

Thank you for your help,
Amélie & Naboo.

Hi there. I am a little late, but...

Recently one of my babies, Max, was diagnosed with allergies. First he was allergic to EVERYTHING, which was insane. We put him on a hypoallergenic cat food but he lost a tonne of weight. We had the allergy tests run again by a different lab and they were "more sane". Yes a couple protein allergies that were expected. I slowly switched him back to a single protein of raw diet (kangaroo) and he's been doing better. I know there is still something up, and we're still trying to suss it out.

What I am trying to say is you have to go slow with changes and I hate to say, double up on allergy testing because, as my vet said to me, it's not THAT uncommon for labs to differ in their results. ugh.

Sending you hugs.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Naboo75 I know you said you tried raw for 2 weeks and it was terrible, but it can take 2 months when you change any kind of food. It depends on the cat and how long the problem has been going on.

What @Sheldon13 suggested (an elimination diet) is a good idea. This kind of diet means that before starting a new food, the cat is given bland food for a little while. This gives the cat's body a chance to eliminate any toxins that remain in his system from the old food. Many cats show improvement in a few days, and then you would start whatever new food you choose. It doesn't have to be raw. The elimination diet is only temporary.

Back