All at once or take our time?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by rainonlens, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. rainonlens

    rainonlensLairian

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $274.00
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi again!

    Yet another question...would love all of your input!! :BigSmile:

    It is written in our contracts that we have a full vet check-up within 3 days of the kittens coming home.

    My question is: Should we take them to the vet straight from the airport to just get all of the madness out of the way at once? Or should we bring them home, let them rest for a day or two and then take them to get checked out? I don't want to stress them out any more than they have to be.

    Thanks, guys!! :Laugh:
     

  2. Mews2much

    Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    Messages:
    4,564
    Likes Received:
    2,010
    Location:
    California
    Sphynx Bucks:
    $142.00
    Ratings:
    +2,011
    Do not go to the vet when you pick them up.
    I would set the vet up for the day after you get them.
    I did that with all of my sphynxs.
    It is less stressful that way.
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Cathie

      CathieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

      Joined:
      Aug 24, 2009
      Messages:
      838
      Likes Received:
      341
      Location:
      Panama City Florida
      Sphynx Bucks:
      $66.00
      Ratings:
      +342
      I would wait as well, you never know if they have something that is just startiing up.
       
      • Like Like x 2
      • TanyaT

        TanyaTV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

        Joined:
        Oct 10, 2009
        Messages:
        1,374
        Likes Received:
        626
        Location:
        Tampa Bay FL
        Sphynx Bucks:
        $318.00
        Ratings:
        +626
        Yup I would wait that way you can observe the new one and question the vet if you have any concerns.
         
        • Like Like x 2
        • Sam lewis

          Sam lewisV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

          Joined:
          Jun 8, 2009
          Messages:
          1,568
          Likes Received:
          734
          Location:
          Lancaster, England
          Sphynx Bucks:
          $6,018.17
          Ratings:
          +736
          • Bear
          • Butterfly 1
          I think take them home first too, and I also think don't take them to the vets the next day. Wait a couple of days at least so they can ajust first and feel settled. When you picking them up? Very exciting!
           
          • Like Like x 2
          • ckutkuhn7

            ckutkuhn7Banned

            Joined:
            Jan 16, 2010
            Messages:
            5,191
            Likes Received:
            2,873
            Sphynx Bucks:
            $43.00
            Ratings:
            +2,877
            I would wait and take them the following day or on day #2. I think its less stressful that way as well and you get a chance to observe them a little for any questions you may have that come up.
             
            • Like Like x 2
            • rainonlens

              rainonlensLairian

              Joined:
              Apr 5, 2010
              Messages:
              35
              Likes Received:
              11
              Location:
              Ontario, Canada
              Sphynx Bucks:
              $274.00
              Ratings:
              +11
              We don't know the exact flight yet, but it will either be the 29th or 30th of May.

              One month to go, one month to go. WE ARE EXPLODING WITH EXCITEMENT!!!

              Thanks everyone for your input! I think you're all spot on and we'll make sure we keep them home for a few days to observe before taking them in. We have the week off (to stay home with our new babies) so we can take them in a few days later no problem.

              I'm in really close contact with my breeder, so I'm sure she'll have no problem with them not being checked out right away. I'm sure it's only in the contact for legalities. :BigSmile:
               
            • Fester

              FesterSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

              Joined:
              Dec 1, 2009
              Messages:
              541
              Likes Received:
              491
              Location:
              Denver, CO
              Sphynx Bucks:
              $2,588.12
              Ratings:
              +511
              • Skull head
              If they seem healthy, I'd wait until the third day both from a pragmatic view(gives problems longer to show up) and from a health of the cat view -- gives them time to recover and resume 'normal' behavior.

              obviously if they seem ill get them care soon as possible
               
              • Like Like x 2
              • dragynflye

                dragynflyeLairian

                Joined:
                Jan 24, 2010
                Messages:
                190
                Likes Received:
                101
                Location:
                oooooklahoma!
                Sphynx Bucks:
                $382.00
                Ratings:
                +101
                my contract says 72 hours, as well. i picked kimo up on thursday, and took him to the vet first thing monday morning. of course, this was more than 72 hours, but my breeder understood the situation. we didn't get home until LATE thursday, had to take the other kitten to tulsa friday, my vet was booked on saturday, and closed on sunday.

                i'm glad i waited a few days to take him in. it gave me the chance to get to know him a little and to see what is normal behavior was like. if i had taken him straight in, i would have told the vet that he was hiding and scared, not that he was playful and eating and pooping normally.
                 
                • Like Like x 2
                • ilovemysphynx

                  ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

                  Joined:
                  Feb 2, 2009
                  Messages:
                  4,988
                  Likes Received:
                  3,073
                  Location:
                  New Jersey
                  Sphynx Bucks:
                  $6,141.16
                  Ratings:
                  +3,088
                  • Fish
                  • Dragon fly
                  • Candy
                  I also agree with the others, after you find out all the flight info make the appt. for a few days later that way they can get settled in and be used to you.:ThumbsUp:
                   
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Sleepyheadkitten

                    SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

                    Joined:
                    Jan 14, 2010
                    Messages:
                    721
                    Likes Received:
                    643
                    Sphynx Bucks:
                    $26.00
                    Ratings:
                    +643
                    Haha- you guys give great advice :) I tend to go the day they arrive and now listening to all of you- your idea is MUCH better! Yeah, you should try to push it a bit to the third day or at least second so you can see how they are doing. Why didn't I ever think of that???
                     
                    • Like Like x 2