Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

All those affected by drought...

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How're you holding up? My lawn is dead and I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. I'm happy to keep the grass and let it do as it will when we finally get rain, too. I'm driving the house mad with my conservation speeches, but I'll relent when farmers no longer need to remind everyone that they can't irrigate with saltwater.

susi794

Staff member
Sorry to hear of the drought. We, on the other hand, seem to be in the monsoon season...too bad we both couldn't share a little of each.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Its about even here in Jersey, a bit of rain, sunny generally. Not too much of either.

Flash floods have hit us here in Iowa. Wow, the weather sure gets crazier every year!

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I laughed about drought when I lived in Georgia. Hurricane season brought in all sorts of soggy weather. When I lived in Germany, it was a treat to see the sun, but there was a heat wave/drought the year we moved away (seriously, 105F in that region is unnatural!), so I'd like to go back and see it green, again. Then, in Wisconsin, farmers hope for a good snow to prep the ground for the next growing season. It drives me crazy when people complain about a couple days of rain, or a steady accumulation of snow. An onslaught is dangerous, but let's be reasonable. No water, no food.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's pretty dry here, even for the desert. Lake Mead, which provides water for much of the Southwest is at it's lowest level since it was filled in the 1930s. It looks like it has a huge bathtub ring around it. We have our yard in rock and native plants, with no irrigation at all in the yard. I do feel your pain-we lived in Northern California (Eureka, 350 miles north of San Francisco) from the time I was 5 years old until 1994. During that time, we went through at least 4 droughts. Our lawns would die and come back each time. I got really tired of hearing all the excuses about why desalinazation of seawater wouldn't work. It was always too expensive, too difficult and not necessary, according to the "experts." But for us anyway, the snowpack in the Rockies is over 100% this year, and that bodes well for the lake. The problem is that the experts say that we need at least 10 years of good snowpacks to refill the lake. Good luck to you in California this year!

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you. According to NPR, SoCal is taking it more seriously. I'd love to see how the local affluent handle mandates, should conservation ever be enforced.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
No drought here tonight. Huge storm came through and we lost power a couple of hours ago. Took a joy ride and looked at the damage (ok we really were trying to stay cool) it is bloody hot tonight...the kitties aren't trying to burrow it is that hot.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It has been very dry here in Tennessee, from Fall, til now. We are about 7in. below normal.
Hay, Veggies, fruit, lawns, landscaping, you name it. It's bad. We need rain bad. Slow soaking rain
for a few weeks. It was like this 5 years ago. Lots of farmers are having to sell their cattle and horses
because they are already feeding hay and they won't have enough to get them through the winter.
It's not good here. ( But, we are still blessed)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you. According to NPR, SoCal is taking it more seriously. I'd love to see how the local affluent handle mandates, should conservation ever be enforced.
I totally agree with you about certain people handling mandates differently. We live in a desert that is having major drought, but there are people here who just waste water big time. I understand that there is at least one person who has a broken water source (faucet, spigot or pool leak) so they just let the water run full blast--for up to 5 years! Apparently they find it easier to pay a huge water bill than to fix the problem.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
there are people here who just waste water big time. I understand that there is at least one person who has a broken water source (faucet, spigot or pool leak) so they just let the water run full blast--for up to 5 years! Apparently they find it easier to pay a huge water bill than to fix the problem.
(n)(n)(n) That's awful.........

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I live in a desert type area as well. We are debating what kind of rock to go with for our front yard, and in our back yard we are going to landscape with artificial turf. We still have to water though, as we have food bearing plants in the back and a lemon tree in the front. Other than that all of our plants are native. We actually have native succulents growing wild in our front yard.

We have had maybe 3 inches of rain all year and most of it came from two heavy storms. My mother who lives in the Texas panhandle and they have gotten more rain than ever before. The lakes there that had almost dried up are recovering at a rapid rate. Everyone has weeds taller than a small car.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hate this. How do we get these people to realize that nature doesn't care how much money you have? Once she's run out of water for your region, that's it. No amount of wealth is going to fix that for you.
We live in the middle of an oil boom. And unfortunately we work in a nuclear disposal site. All of the ground water from our site is pumped out, tested and then treated. We pump it back into ponds to evaporate once it has been treated.

There is a huge business around here called Fracking.... Where they pump thousands of gallons of water into the ground to make it explode and fracture to release more oil. It releases gypsum and other impurities into our ground water and in some places it is entirely worthless... Not to mention we live in a desert and the people two houses down had new sod put in so they are watering it seven times a day...

I live in the central valley in California and the drought is pretty bad here, but I know it's going to get worse. They almost didn't let water flow into Kings River, which feeds all of the farms in this area. My water bill is absolutely ridiculous and that's with not watering the lawn. We only live in a small two bedroom one bathroom house. There's a documentary on Netflix that I think is worth watching about water bottle companies taking water without having to pay. I think that's a huge issue, among other things...

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We live in MD and we have had storms and heavy rain off and on for two weeks. Other than that we have been ok

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We live in the middle of an oil boom. And unfortunately we work in a nuclear disposal site. All of the ground water from our site is pumped out, tested and then treated. We pump it back into ponds to evaporate once it has been treated.

There is a huge business around here called Fracking.... Where they pump thousands of gallons of water into the ground to make it explode and fracture to release more oil. It releases gypsum and other impurities into our ground water and in some places it is entirely worthless... Not to mention we live in a desert and the people two houses down had new sod put in so they are watering it seven times a day...
Fracking is a hot issue, around these parts. Such a waste of water when we need to utilize cleaner power sources. I use synthetic in my car (can't afford electric), and it runs just fine. Sure, it isn't "natural", but look at what happens to nature when you try to move stuff where it shouldn't be. Sorry to use such a crude analogy, but this is why we wash our hands after using the bathroom.

I wonder if this is why "frak" is a favored expletive in modern sci-fi. :D