Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

All wood litter is not equal

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As some know, I use non clumping wood pellets which "explode" when they get wet.

Interesting tidbit about this type of litter. All wood pellets are not equal.
I started with Tesco Wood Litter which was great, but there is no Tesco in Germany.
So then I used Kaufland litter, which she liked. Alas, there is no Kaufland nearby here.
But there is a drugstore (DM) which also sells wood pellet litter, so I got some of that.
It's much longer and harder and seems coated (it's shiny) and she absolutely hated it. So I hunted around, and the petshop in the next town over sells "Multifit" wood pellet litter. I haven't tried this one yet (I use the DM stuff under the Kaufland stuff to use it up), but from feeling it, it's smaller and not coated.

IMG_20160820_091742.jpg

Here are the three litters in comparison.
Left is the DM litter. Middle is the Kaufland litter. Right is the "Multifit" litter.
The difference between the DM and the others is huge! (Quite literally.)
The average size of the litter are the "pins" above the piles.

So if your cat doesn't like wood pellet litter - maybe the pins are too big.

Figured I put this here to show you the differences.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Silke , thank you for the comparison photo -
Very helpful to members

@admin , could this photo be a stickie for those that use pellets/ litter options?

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What I might do is get different companies to send me some samples (they might, if I ask...) and take a pic of them when I have a bunch more.
There really is a huge difference between some of them. However, they were designed for rabbits, not cats, while the ones sold in the UK by Tesco are made for cats. (Although they are very close to the Kaufland ones -- which, btw, are the cheapest of them.)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Little update with the litter.
The "Multifit" seems acceptable to Pixie.
I also checked out the wood pellets used for wood burners (since the company who sells them nearby doesn't treat them with anything) and they are the size of the DM Pellets (The big ones) so I didn't buy any.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am back with the Kaufland litter.
The "Multifit" is actually quite vile. It doesn't dry and there is a urine smell.
So that one is out, too.
Luckily I found a Kaufland that stocks the litter. :) So I stocked up on it, and just make a trip every few weeks when I get low.