Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Allergic to cats - looking to meet a Sphynx in SF Bay Area

ducklamp

Lairian
Hi there,

I am allergic to cats and interested in getting my first sphynx! I have read all of the related forums about having a sphynx with allergies and it seems that spending time with sphynx cats is the best thing predictor as to whether my allergies will be manageable with a sphynx.

I live in NYC and have found a cat that I am interested in putting a deposit on, but do not return to the east coast for another week+. I was wondering if there were any sphynx families who would be interested in letting me meet their sphynx cat(s)? I would also to love to hear about your experience as an owner. Ideally this would be in a home with no fur cats (dogs are fine!) so I could see if the effect of sphynx cats.

If you live near the SF bay area and are willing to open your home to me, I would be so appreciative!

Annie

StacyD

Lairian
I am allergic to cats. Owned a furry one many years ago and developed asthma symptoms (mostly coughing) and pretty bad swollen eyes (the whites even swelled up a few times). We adopted our sphynx over a year ago. The first 5 months were fine. Then I started getting an itchy throat and my one eye swelled. I went to my doc, who prescribed Singulair which is a pill I take every day, plus I take a Zyrtec every day, plus I bought an air cleaner (cost about $150) which I plug in the living room. I also don't allow our cat in my bedroom. But he sits on my lap a lot. With all the steps I've taken I'm pretty good, but will still get an itchy throat and may need to blow my nose a lot in the mornings. But I happily deal as I love Ace. You may be wondering how allergic I am to cats in general: I can go to others homes with cats and have no sign of allergies, but if I pet them I'll sometimes get itchy eyes ( I think I must touch the cat and then my eyes).

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there.

My husband has allergies to cats, and we visited a couple of breeders so that he could spend time with the Sphynx cats. Some people with cat allergies are still allergic to Sphynx cats. And interestingly (based on my own experience with my friends), people who have never had allergies with regular cats are actually allergic to our Sphynx cats.

If you can't find a family to spend some time with. See if you can visit some breeders in your area. Cheers!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hope a member of your area will invite you for a visit.
I'm allergic to cats (and dogs) hair, saliva and dander. So I'm allergic to my naked crew too. But I can manage it by washing my hands a lot, cleaing blankets etc. Hope it'll be the same for you!

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
Wishing you luck! I think meeting a sphynx first is definitely a good idea before committing to bringing one home. My best friend who is allergic to cats is still allergic to my sphynx, she cant even be in my house for very long. I think it may depend on what exactly you are allergic to, whether it be the fur, the saliva, dander, or even the sphynx oils

ItsMeStu

Lairian
Hey there! So cat fur has always bothered me, I will start to itch through my clothes if I have the hair stuck to me... I went all in on Lulu and just prayed I wasn’t allergic to her or I would just have to deal with it. A few weeks in and so far so good. I’ve heard regular bathing can help if you are still allergic to the Sphynx. My mom is practically allergic to nature and anything living and Lulu bothers her, but only after direct contact.

Back