Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Allergies and food

sdotcarter

Lairian
Hello, I did not want to make too many threads so I decided to ask these questions at once.

I’m allergic to cats i want a Sphynx so I’m going to get one despite the allergies. I get runny nose, red puffy eyes if I scratch them and I also cough. I don’t believe I sneeze and I do not have asthma.

I saw a thread talking about allergies but wanted to ask someone active if they have allergies and what do they do about them? I do not want to keep my Sphynx out of my bedroom lol. What kind of air purifiers do you all have? I know to wash my hands before touching my face and to get a HEPA vacuum cleaner. What kind of allergy medicine do you take? Is there a possible way for them not to lay on my pillow at night? Boy or a girl? Light or dark? I heard it’s better to get a light colored girl.

I also wanted to know if you all feed raw? I’m vegan and I do not believe in feeding a cat a vegan diet. Are there any other vegans here who feed raw? I don’t have a problem with feeding raw because I’m also getting a Chinese crested dog and they do better on a raw food diet.

Thank you.

sdotcarter

Lairian
I forgot to mention I grew up with cats. My allergies didn’t bother me until I became a teen and that’s when I started noticing. when I had red eyes I would just put ice on them and walk outside (freezing NJ air during the winter). My eyes would be clear by the time I got to school.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you been around a Sphynx yet? I ask because allergies to cats can be caused by a few things. It can be dander, saliva (most common), urine, etc. if it’s dander you are allergic to you may not have an issue. If it’s saliva, you would be just as allergic as you would to any cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sdotcarter

Lairian
Have you been around a Sphynx yet? I ask because allergies to cats can be caused by a few things. It can be dander, saliva (most common), urine, etc. if it’s dander you are allergic to you may not have an issue. If it’s saliva, you would be just as allergic as you would to any cat.

No. I see there’s a cat show for Sphynx in Dallas that I’ll try to go to.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oooh when? I wanna go!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My husband is allergic to my Sphynx. I damp mop my hardwood floor on a daily basis. We have a Honeywell air purifier set up by his chair in the livingroom. My kitty is not allowed in our bedroom. He alternates between Benadryl and Reactin.

Even with all this he still struggles with his allergies but he lives with it! He also washes his hands as soon as my kitty gets off his lap.

Good luck!

ChashusParents

Lairian
Hi! @sdotcarter

I just got my baby girl named Chashu two months ago. We visited her breeder multiple times and she let me play with a “dirty” cat each time. The first time I went, I took no allergy meds. I sneezed a few times when I got home, I played with her for about an hour. The next time I went, I took an allergy pill an hour or two before playing with the cat. I went home and sneezed less. I’ve never had a cat because I am deathly allergic (I have asthma) but have always wanted one.

A few times a week I take an allergy pill. I don’t need it everyday I think my body is getting used to her. I know you don’t want to but we don’t let her sleep with us. I change my clothes to “clean” kitty free clothing before bed. Basically I never lie down on my bed with clothes that have been touched by Chashu. We vacuum weekly with a Dyson vacuum that has a Hepa filter and dust as well. I have a HEPA filter air purifier that runs in my room when I sleep. It’s a Blueair filter. It’s expensive but worth it! I wash my hands after every time we play. I shower before bed so the dander washes away lol.

On our main couch that she lays on we have a thin blanket sheet over the couch so we wash that once a week or every other week along with blankets that she’s on.

It may seem super excessive but it’s so worth it to finally have a pet ❤:)

I would say try to see how your allergies do with your cat NOT in your bed first just to see how you feel.

Hope it works out!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww I hope you two make it! She’s beautiful. I am allergic to dogs but I do ok if I take some Allegra.