Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Allergies?

Lumi

Lairian
IMG_6288.JPG

So I have had Azrael for a few weeks now, and since day one he's had what seems like allergies. He can go hours in a day without symptoms, then he'll run into a new room, and have a sneezy booger attack.

I got him from a reputable breeder that is a licensed Vet Tech, but I haven't asked her personally just yet.

Long story short, I traveled for work so I put down the money for him, then had a family member drive him up to me in the state I work in because the timing worked best that way. The climate isn't wildly different but I know it can affect humans so I wanted some advice.

Symptoms:
Runny eyes and nose, sneezing, and congestion.

He is eating regularly, drinking regularly, and having normal bowel movements. He doesn't seem to slow down in the slightest.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'd consult a vet about this just to be sure. I've had a cat with bronchitis. Lots of sneezing and coughing, we got an inhaler from the vet and it worked well. Of course Azrael can be under the weather with stress from moving or the climate change. When I've picked up babies usually they're just vaccinated and spayed and then with the moving, it's a lot of stress on a little kitty. Good luck!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sometimes newly home kitties can get an upper respiratory infection .

For peace of mind , always good to have a vet visit , get meds on board if necessary to treat symptoms early so they don't worsen .

I would call the vet and follow their suggestions

Head smooches to handsome Azrael!

Keep us updated often

Head smooches sent

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with both, sounds like a URI. Stress of going to a new home often brings it on. The vet will probably prescribe an antibiotic and all will be well. Don’t wait, the last thing you want is it to worsen and affect the lungs.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lumi , checking in for updates

Where you able to talk with the vet to rule out aURI ( upper respiratory infection)?

Can you share a video?

Lumi

Lairian
The soonest we could get him in is today, so I will absolutely update! Thanks for all the reassurance. I got him some drops that seemed to alleviate it a little while we were waiting to get in so I felt good about that! I'll try and take a video to post too and I'll definitely update after the vet.

Lumi

Lairian
The video I took is too large, so if I find a way to upload it I will. Great Vet, she thinks URI confidently. We went with the antibiotic shot rather than the pills at her recommendation; faster acting, longer lasting! Also gave us eye drops that I just gave him and he tolerated super well.

We got: Convenia injection antibiotic and Neo-poly-bac eyedrops.

I will update but he's happy and home and chowing down on his wet food! Everyone loved him. Thanks for the advice!

Lumi

Lairian
Sooo update:

Both our kitties ended up getting sick, so on Thursday we took them in. Azrael had massssive brown buildup in his ears, I'd been wiping daily but they did a full ear cleanout and got tons of junk :(

Both kitties got a steroid shot on the spot, and I'm on day 4 of oral 2x a day antibiotics (Clavamox - amoxicillin trihydrate/ clavulanate potassium).

They're both clearing up a lot more now, Azrael had started wheezing a bit and that's gotten much much better.

We will be going in for a re-check on Friday and I'll update again!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhhhh they look adorable !
All paws crossed for good news on for days follow up !
Head smooches sent !

Lumi

Lairian
Thanks for the support! First sphynx baby is a learning experience enough, starting out with a sick one is double!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I found out when I adopted my first that they often come with a URI from the breeder because of how common it is and as kittens they may not be immunized before they're exposed. The good news is that it's manageable. L-lysine is the main thing they recommend. Basically it alleviates the symptoms which can recur from time to time.

Although truth be told, it didn't do much for me, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Lumi

Lairian
I'm glad to hear that, he was already on L-Lysine, then the breeder sent extra, and I've given it to him since day one I've seen the other kittens from his litter and they don't seem to be sick either, so I thought it was something I did. My other cat and him were quarantined originally too and she has never been sick in the 8 years I've had her! He's had all but two shots for immunizatiotins, one being rabies.

Back