Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Allergy and Eating Speed

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi!
Just curious if anyone else has seen this... Any of you that have a baby with allergies saw them eat uncontrollably before you controlled the allergy??
Backstory: Astrid has always eaten everything in sight, and started to develop a rash... Now the vet suggested crap food and put her off of the food she was eating. In short, the pieces hurt her mouth so I gave her a HUGE bowl of her stella and chewy and her rash got so much worse... its mainly chicken. So as a shot in the dark when I switched food I went to a fish based one (Orijens 6 fish) and her rash disappeared.
Now back to the fast eating! Astrid now does not devour her food. Might be a weird observation but it is a very noticeable change in behaviour. She actually leaves some of her food in her feeder and will graze back to it. Of course, she still finishes every last piece before the next feeb goes lol
Just curious if anyone else has seen this

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Don't have any experience with this. I'm very curious what other members have to say about this. Hopefully Astrid won't get a rash anymore now you changed food!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's a really interesting observation. Both Max and Min have food allergies, and then Min has allergies to anything outdoors on top of that. I haven't noticed what you describe, but it does make me curious as to whether or not an allergic response consumes a lot of energy and translates into the cats needing more food.

My guys are mostly piggies when it comes to food unless it's really hot. So I wish I could give you some hard evidence, but I cannot.

Would be interesting to hear from others.