Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Allergy testing and injections

kauna

Lairian
Hi everyone! Just looking to see if anyone has experience with allergy injections with their sphynx?

I recently took Agnes to the veterinary dermatologist as she has had recurrent skin infections for a couple of years now. I have been giving medicated baths, antibiotics for flare ups and have even changed foods all to no avail. They clear up and come right back again. After waiting a couple months to get an appointment for a consultation I met with a great veterinarian, his brother also has a bambino sphynx!

I couldn't do the allergy testing that day due to Agnes also having asthma and needing to be off her inhaler for at least a month as to not interfere with the results. We did blood allergy testing last week and the vet emailed me that she had "lots and lots of positives on the test. She reacted to every single grass, tree and weed on the test and also has a dust mite allergy". I am taking her back in to have a few poke tests done to check a couple of other allergy possibilities, it won't be for a month due to my schedule and not wanting to start allergy serum injections and having to skip due to travel (also not something I want to have a pet sitter do in the very beginning) I will hopefully get a full copy of the test results soon.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Never heard of allegy injections before so hoping other members chime in.
Hope it'll work for Agnes!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kauna (((hugs))))
I dealt with horrid allergies with my dog
The vet said I could get too many false positives for allergy testing and didn't recommend it for my boys case .

Sam got an injection of "dexamathasone" for allergies and a change of diet - food trial to see what finally worked

Is it a dexamethasone injection for Agnes?

(chewy.com also has dexamethasone in pill form for about 14 cents a pill
Just to share in case that is the meds vet thinks is best )

kauna

Lairian
Thanks @Toa and Ross and @Yoda mom!

The dermatologist is recommending an allergy serum injection. It is similar to what people with allergies that get allergy injections. It is supposed to build up her immune system to not react to the things that are causing her allergies. So far it seems that she has all environmental allergies and not food allergies.

I am hopeful that this will help with her skin breakouts.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'll be interested to see what comes of the serum injections. One of our sphynx has bad allergies but she cannot have steroids at all because of her HCM.

kauna

Lairian
@Condo commando Absolutely!

We started with a blood allergy test. They drew some blood and sent it for analysis took about a week or so for results. It is called a Heska allergy testing. I will be taking her back for what the vet referred to as poke allergy testing. For that they will do a couple of pokes similar to people allergy testing. I am familiar with dogs having this test done. Usually they are shaved and then poked with several needles to see what the pet is allergic to based on the welts they can create a serum to build up immunity so as to not have reactions.

kauna

Lairian
I'll be interested to see what comes of the serum injections. One of our sphynx has bad allergies but she cannot have steroids at all because of her HCM.
I am hesitant to do any long term oral or injectable steroids mainly due to long term steroid use in cats can lead to diabetes. It's already bad enough with her having both asthma and allergies.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Condo commando Absolutely!

We started with a blood allergy test. They drew some blood and sent it for analysis took about a week or so for results. It is called a Heska allergy testing. I will be taking her back for what the vet referred to as poke allergy testing. For that they will do a couple of pokes similar to people allergy testing. I am familiar with dogs having this test done. Usually they are shaved and then poked with several needles to see what the pet is allergic to based on the welts they can create a serum to build up immunity so as to not have reactions.
Thanks - I always wondered how they could test.