Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Alligator Lids!

So our newest little girl (Spike) has some freaky extra eyelids. I know some reptiles have them....whenever I take a picture with a flash I catch the extra eyelids. In this picture she discovered that she could crawl INTO the duvet cover instead of just getting underneath the whole thing...:Smile:

Decibels inner eyelids are sometimes showing too.
It is especially if she is purring with her eyes half open. But never as visible as yours.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow she really does have a party trick there!!! I'm lucky to get a picture of Mo with his eyes open!

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow...that is unusual for the third eyelid to be that far extended up. I thought that was a sign of illness. Pls forgive me is I am mistaken...I just thought I had heard that. It could be an old wives tale.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Decibels inner eyelids are sometimes showing too.
It is especially if she is purring with her eyes half open. But never as visible as yours.
Bluto's eyes are like Decibel's...if he is sleepy or purring, you can absolutely see those inner eyelids:LOL:

Wow...that is unusual for the third eyelid to be that far extended up. I thought that was a sign of illness. Pls forgive me is I am mistaken...I just thought I had heard that. It could be an old wives tale.
No, Marna, you aren't mistaken about the third eyelids - if they're closed like that it can be a sign of a problem, anything from FHV, upper respiratory infection, chlamydia or -believe it or not - intestinal worms!

If I'm reading it right, I think she's saying they only show up like that when she uses the flash on the camera, though...maybe they're just slow to retract after blinking from the flash? But, it might be a good idea to mention this to the vet, just for good measure.

She's a gorgeous kitty!! :Adore:

Abby's eyes do that sometimes, you have a beautiful kitty!
Mack, glad you posted this, I meant to mention - I think it's only problematic if the third eyelids are closed like that all the time. I don't want to freak anybody out! They also do it when they're sleepy. :Smile:

Yes...we really only see them when she is sleepy or when we take a picture with a flash. It is funny...with our other female it is almost impossible to get a picture (with a flash) that you don't get her with her eyes closed but with Spike we get the freaky alligator lids when we use the flash. I think it is just the timing of her blink and the flash. She is happy and healthy!

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mack, glad you posted this, I meant to mention - I think it's only problematic if the third eyelids are closed like that all the time. I don't want to freak anybody out! They also do it when they're sleepy. :Smile:
:Woo: thanks :ThumbsUp: that is good to know I was prety scared for a min. :LOL:

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
SS didn't mean to alarm. Jack and Maizie's third eyelids do come up just not to that extreme. Those Sphynxies keep us on our toes!

I agree with Brooke:

Those are 3rd eyelids. All cats have them, they're not "extra" or "abnormal", they do have a function.

If her eyelids are staying up all the time, it indicates she's ill. If they come up while she's sleepy or when the flash on the camera goes off, that's normal too (just like Brooke said). They shouldn't be seen but by short glimses, they should remain in their relaxed position most of the time.