Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Alternative Litters

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Hey Everyone :) I was considering changing from Clay Litter to something new. The dust from Clay has become too much for my Allergies and It isn't very absorbent and when I have a Litter of Kittens running around my house as well- That's a lot of dust. As of lately Althea has been Abnormally smelly in and out of the Box, In fact I am even considering taking her to the vet to get checked for Giardia. It has been more than terrible and it literally smells up my entire house. Also, with all the kittens and my two adult cats, I am vacuuming up the litter off of my carpet twice a day. Basically, Its become too much of a Hassle and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on a Cheap Alternative to Clay and something that absorbs smell better and tracks less?
I was thinking possibly Corncob, Whats Everyones thoughts on that? Love to hear what you all have to say :)

Thanks!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is also the option of finding a clay litter that is not dusty. We use Dr Elsey's precious cat and there is no dust. That is important to us as Alfie has asthma.

I have never tried a non clay litter, but one I have heard used by some is blue buffalo walnut litter and Swheat Scoop which is wheat.

We used to use a corn litter but it did not compare in terms of easy clean up and odor control.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
There is also the option of finding a clay litter that is not dusty. We use Dr Elsey's precious cat and there is no dust. That is important to us as Alfie has asthma.

I have never tried a non clay litter, but one I have heard used by some is blue buffalo walnut litter and Swheat Scoop which is wheat.

We used to use a corn litter but it did not compare in terms of easy clean up and odor control.
Thanks for all the tips :) I actually have asthma and allergies so its getting a little out of hand when it comes to dust. I really appreciate the references, I will definitely check those out.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you tried this? Now they really can't cover up their poo and the pee doesn't clump it absorbs. But, it isn't dusty and
it will eliminate any smell.
k2-_77b9b1ce-c93e-44b2-8c38-1569a0d6b0bd.v1.jpg

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
I love the clay litter so am not much help, Have you tried a litter box with a cover so the dust does not get out?
I made one myself using a large Tupperware.
I seen your Tupperware litter box, That was Genius! :) I havent made one but I do have a Litter box with a Door and Cover. The dust and smell still travel as does the litter.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Some folks use pellets - used for rabbits from a feed store I am told a lot cheaper -
I wanted to stick with clumping since all 5 are used to it and we have no potty accidents and was afraid to change litter types and mess up a good thing :)

I use clumping litter and can't take the dust so I put up with a little tracking and no perfumes :)

I use a covered box with cats pride fresh and light unscented 15 lb green plastic jug
It clumps great and I scoop 3x a day and it does not smell like 5 cats live here according to my man :)

It's amazing when I pour it into a larger stainless storage container and there is no perfumed cloud of dust!
Walmart carries only the scented version here for $ 9
Publix grocery store here sells it - buy one get one free - frequently for 6.99 to 8.69 for two !

image.jpg

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Some folks use pellets - used for rabbits from a feed store I am told a lot cheaper -
I wanted to stick with clumping since all 5 are used to it and we have no potty accidents and was afraid to change litter types and mess up a good thing :)

I use clumping litter and can't take the dust so I put up with a little tracking and no perfumes :)

I use a covered box with cats pride fresh and light unscented 15 lb green plastic jug
It clumps great and I scoop 3x a day and it does not smell like 5 cats live here according to my man :)

It's amazing when I pour it into a larger stainless storage container and there is no perfumed cloud of dust!
Walmart carries only the scented version here for $ 9
Publix grocery store here sells it - buy one get one free - frequently for 6.99 to 8.69 for two !

View attachment 52094
Wow, That's a Great tip too as I have alot of cats. Thank You so much :) I will have to go on a Shopping trip and take a look around at everything my stores carry.