Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Always the pet sitter, never the owner!

TheZu

Lairian
Does anyone else end up being the go-to pet person in their circle? Right now, it's like I'm helping train and raise several animals that aren't even mine, thanks to my work and living situation.

I work for a family business that has the office on their property, and currently live in one of three basement suite units on that property. So it's like I almost work from home. Above me are the in-laws and their three pets (One senior chubby golden doodle "Daisy", one suspiciously tall just over a year old golden doodle "Luna", and the outdoor/indoor short-hair cat "Snow".) Next door to me in the ajadacent suite is my best friend who just rescued a collie-mix Puppy "Dot" who just turned a year old. And there was also a goat briefly...but Bill's on a farm now (for real, we didn't just tell that to the kids).

I've mentioned the Golden Doodle puppy, Luna, before and had help here. She's a smart active dog that doesn't get enough walks and stimulation, and lately my best friend with the Collie, Dot, have had some trouble keeping her brain active and stimulated while they're out. Since I hate to see any animal in a bad way, and I work on the property and am still around, I find myself being the one to help out. I'm making Chews for the dogs, buying puzzle treats and giving ideas. Lately, I've been using my lunch hour to let the two pups play in the fenced-in front yard. (Luna and Dot Get along smashingly well). It's been going good, since it's fenced I can still work, but keep the office door and window open to keep an eye on them. I don't have to worry about them getting into too much trouble because they can't get out. It's been so good for the two of them, they play together, run around the yard and burn off that energy while getting that mental stimulation. Then I make sure they go back to their homes, check on the toy situation to make sure they still have something to do, and they usually sleep until their owners come home. No more boredom chewing, yay! For Dot, I've advised my best friend to keep her toys on rotation, and have special ones that's only come out when they're gone to keep her from getting bored but also associate some of her alone time with positive things. They're not as patient as I would be in training and with accidents. I wish both sets of owners would do more to get these puppies the exercise they need. We have two fantastic dog parks nearby that are like a five minute drive away, one is a fifteen-twenty minute walk! These dogs desperately need it. Luna barely gets walked (she's often just let out in the yard) and I really feel Dot should be at a dog park or playing fetch at least every other day, and she doesn't always get that.

Just this week I've put in two hours of bathing and brushing the cat, Snow, because her fur got all matted. (That's two summers in a row!) And I know no one else is going to take care of her. Last year I caught her in time, but this year some of them were so bad, I had to cut three of the mats off :( Poor kitty.
It's been an eventful few weeks of pet sitting, and we still don't even have our own kitten! I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit disheartening. I love all these animals, but I really want my own pet that I can raise, train and feed how I want, instead of trying to work around other peoples schedules and desires for their pets. We've been ready for months with all the supplies, and I've put more reasearch and time getting ready for this cat then any of the other owners of the pets I've been helping to look after combined!

We finally heard from the breeder today, as this litter of kittens is now eight weeks old and wait list members get to pick! Only thing is, there's only three kittens this litter, and only one girl, and I'm not sure I'm high enough on the waiting list to get to pick one. Another litter is due to be born any day now, but that's another 12-16 weeks of waiting :( When's it gonna be my turn?

TheZu

Lairian
And now I'm not allowed to let the dogs play together in the front yard because they rolled over some plants, which I understand and feel bad about, but also feel bad for the dogs. Now Luna has to stay in the house, and I feel I've mad everything worse :( Dot at least I can take out in her own little back yard. It's no where near as big and not as much space, but I'll have to run around with her as best I can to burn off some energy.

It's my own fault for meddling, but I wanted to see the dogs get that exercise and stimulation. Luna has had big problems of destroying furniture and stuff. I mean, I was taking the easy way out, letting them play together for 20-30 mins so I could still work. Here's hoping I can make it up to my in-laws for the plants that got rolled over and find another way to exercise the dogs.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TheZu , big hugs to you for your kind heart and going above and beyond for others furkids .
nothing is your fault .. You were doing your best to do right by all paws .
Bless you for grooming sweet Snow too!

IMHO , Plants can be replaced .. But our furkids and nakeds can't.
I have lost a few plants in my day .. It's part of having pets ..
please do not be hard on yourself for following your heart for the love of animals .
There comes a point when we too must realize we can't take on too much -
Pet owners need to be responsible for the love and care of their furkids .

The other day I had to gracefully say "No" to a neigh who thought I would pet sit for 3 weeks .
I referred her to a pet sitting person my friend has for years , but I guess it was not free so it was not an option .

You will have your Sphynx be it in this litter or the next - the stars will align :)

Again , bless you for your kind heart (((hugs)))

Head smooches to all paws

Will be following closely for updates on the Sphynx stars aligning

sarralewis

Lairian
I know your frustration all too well.

My pet situation is odd. I have a mini dachshund that I got at 10 weeks old and for the first 4 years of his life I had jobs where he went to work with me so he's very codependent. He ended up hopping off the bed and herniating two discs. $5k surgery, 8 weeks of PT, and 2 years of living with my parents to keep our bills down so I could work less and spend more time with him, he's doing better. My husband and I move into a 3rd floor apartment and can't leave him home alone, so he stayed with my mom and her 2 dogs since she is home more often than not and he always has dog company.
When she goes out of town, of course I pet sit for her. No questions asked, the dachshund is like a joint pet, and her 2 dogs have been in the family for 13 and 7 years.

Now we have friends and acquaintances that just assume I will always pet sit for them when they go out of town because my husband and I will go stay at my parents house to watch her dogs. And they are to the point where they don't even ask. They just say "I need you to watch the dogs, we are going somewhere"
Of course my bleeding heart does it because I don't want them to be left with a giant bowl of food and a hope that they don't get into something.

Last month my husband and I went to stay at his moms for 4 days. We just asked if someone would come check on our cat because she likes to play in her water dish and spill it. Nobody would. It made me so angry that I can go above and beyond for people and can't even get them to come make sure my cat has water so I have to resort to multiple bowls out so she doesn't go without water.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can't you take the cat and keep her in a separate room?

This reminds me when I used to visit my mother. The only way I could stay with her for the weekend was if I took my cats. But they didn't allow pets in her condo and there was a security guard just inside the front door. So what I did - I got carriers for the cats that resembled luggage. Then I borrowed the valet cart as if I had lots of luggage. I draped a blanket that I kept in the trunk of my car over the cat carriers to conceal the felines. It worked great until one day one of the cats meowed and the guard was like "is that a cat?" But I kept doing it....I figured I just couldn't get caught inbound.

And that's why I picked the name Condo Commando - just to make fun of them.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I needed a house/pet sitter for a few days while I went to the UK to clear the loft.
Friends who offered to sit...suddenly had... let's call it "issues".
But when it came to dropping everything to train their horses, THAT was perfectly reasonable. (Yeah, I'm a bit sore over that.)
Anyway, I hired a nice lady to look after the girls and the boys, and they were in 7th heaven with the girls. She'd never met a sphynx before, and totally adored them. :)
(The boys too, but they cuddle a bit rough... lol)

Back