Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

amount of hair on sphynx

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi All! I have alot of difficulty signing in to the forum, so I am not on much. My 2 sphynx cats are the greatest! They both come from the same breeder, who has done a fantastic job in socializing these sweeties! My question is, my one girl is as bald as rubber, but the kitten has developed a fine rather coarse coat of down, except on her belly, which is bald. Also, her tail is fully covered. Will this hair remain, or does it sometimes go away as the kitten matures? I certainly don't mind either way - she is a gorgeous little seal point girl!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It is good to see you post. I'm not sure if there is any real way to predict what will happen with your kitten's fuzz. Some members have noticed hormonal and seasonal hair growth/loss. It's hard to guess what will happen, but whatever does, your seal point girl sounds loved.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear from you, please explain the trouble you are having getting on to the site?
As for the fuzz one could never really tell, we have had kittens born fuzzy and end up bald and vise versa.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie had a fine down when I got her, she is now 1.5 yrs old. She has FUZZY about a half inch long on her flank area and tail. When I bathe her it falls out a little, or if I play with it I'll notice a lint ball on my fingers afterwards. It never all comes out tho.
SoBe who I got from the same breeder is BALD like rubber. lol She is even related to Snuffie (Snuffies neice) (I just sneezed and Snuffie is sleeping and she woke up to say MEOW...must have been a BLESS YOU..lol)
I believe its hormonal and seasonal. Snuffie didn't develope her extra fuzziness until after she was spayed. SoBe gets spayed in Janurary so we'll see how she turns out.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nudie came to us super bald and as the weather gets cooler she has started to develope some short hairs here and there- Just more sphynx to love:BigSmile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some sphynx willl grow some hair in colder weather.
My Wrinkles has hair on her tail and Cleo is very bald.
Last winter Cleo grew hair on the tip of her tail.

Hormonal changes will cause growth of hair. We have a beautiful mink eyes male who grew quite a bit of fuzz on his tail after he got neutered. With the winter approaching, I noticed he is getting a little fuzzy all over. I have heard that was normal. No sphynx is totally hairless regardless.

dubeespot

Lairian
I rescued my 2 sphynx the beginning of May - my girl had and still has a coat of peach fuz, my pink boy was bald like rubber and now that the cold is here he is "fuzzy" he has a little patch on his neck that looks like a mohawk!! I like playing with it!:Smile:

harperc

Lairian
I was wondering the same thing about my one year old... It seems like the older she got, the more fur that she has grown. It's not much, just more fuzzy than other sphynx's that I have seen.

TotenEngel

Banned
Smeagol is, I believe, what is called a velour and has between 1-3mm of fur all over, I always describe him to people as 'peach like' However, his tail is super fluffy compared to the rest of him!
Will wait and see what happens as he gets older and the weather changes here

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good to hear from you, please explain the trouble you are having getting on to the site?
As for the fuzz one could never really tell, we have had kittens born fuzzy and end up bald and vise versa.
I too am having trouble figuring out this site. I don't know how to post, just reply...

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was wondering the same thing about my one year old... It seems like the older she got, the more fur that she has grown. It's not much, just more fuzzy than other sphynx's that I have seen.
Our sphynx, Timmy had grown some additional hairs too. He has a ridge of hair along his back and a very furry tail.

Back