Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ChloeandPenny

Lairian
Hiya!

My names Chloe, and I am soon to be the proud owner of a little Sphynx kitten!! We have always owned cats and used to breed british shorthairs but I have always loved the Sphynx breed, ever since seeing them at a local cat show.

Our little seal point girl will be ready to take home in early April (not long at all!!) and I just wanted some advice for helping her settle in. We currently have one british short hair girl named Yoda, around 7 years old. Her Mum passed away last year and since then she has been relentlessly miaowing, I can tell she is lonely but she has only ever really lived with her Mum (and of course the other kittens before they moved to their new homes.)

She has a very friendly temperament, but I worry that she will have a hard time adjusting to a new body in the house, and in turn make it difficult for the kitten to settle in.

Firstly I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on introducing the two, and secondly general settling in advice please? (like, When should I first bath her ect?)

Thank you so much for any advice and lovely to meet you all!!!!

Chloe x

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ChloeandPenny , welcoming you and Yoda to the lair family :)
I am very sorry for your loss of Yoda's mum ..
I know this baby sphynx will know all the love she knew In this world ((hugs))

Have you a name picked for you sphynx baby? Gotcha day is soon! Looking forward to your journey with us and pics of Yoda too! We love all babies here :)

I have 4 adoptees - I do slow positive intros at their comfort level -
I recommend vet wellness check on the way home if it can be prearranged -
Check your contract for details -72 hrs. Etc

I always give new kitty its own kitty room quarantine for about a week
and supplement with l-lysine as an immune booster -
It's not uncommon for newly homed sphynx to get a URI when first brought home -
(More than any other breed or kitty I ever had )

When thumbs up by vet ,
I cross scent hand towels by eachs food dish and bed ,
Toss treats and dual play with a pole toy under the door
Building up to peeks m sniffs with treats n praise
I use a baby gate zip tied in the full open postiion to let them see each other full on and give treats each side

Then I rotate free roaming - I put away resident cat in my bedroom and let new kitty explore -
I rotate this for a few days
Then at their comfort level short periods building up - meet n greet open neutral area
With two Dabird pole toys and toss treats -
New kitty will already know it had a safe room to retreat too-
Watch body language and go at their comfort level -
I got a multi level cat tree and hide treats on the perches

Each kitty is different - we have seen right away in the mix full on snuggles together with no wait period or quarantine to more reserved encounters overtime
Just depends on personalities -
With newbie si for I am not home , I put baby kitty up in its "safe kitty room" until I see they will be getting along fine unsupervised

You must be sooo excited! Do you have pics of Yoda and Amy breeder pics of your baby sphynx girl?

Looking forward to your journey wth us!

Ps :
love Hylyt shampoo , dr elseys unscented litter in blue bag for sphynx and Da bird toy is a big hit for socializing -
And keep Vetericyn VF spray on hand for any skin stuff

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hiya!

My names Chloe, and I am soon to be the proud owner of a little Sphynx kitten!! We have always owned cats and used to breed british shorthairs but I have always loved the Sphynx breed, ever since seeing them at a local cat show.

Our little seal point girl will be ready to take home in early April (not long at all!!) and I just wanted some advice for helping her settle in. We currently have one british short hair girl named Yoda, around 7 years old. Her Mum passed away last year and since then she has been relentlessly miaowing, I can tell she is lonely but she has only ever really lived with her Mum (and of course the other kittens before they moved to their new homes.)

She has a very friendly temperament, but I worry that she will have a hard time adjusting to a new body in the house, and in turn make it difficult for the kitten to settle in.

Firstly I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on introducing the two, and secondly general settling in advice please? (like, When should I first bath her ect?)

Thank you so much for any advice and lovely to meet you all!!!!

Chloe x

@ChloeandPenny hello and welcome to the Lair. That's great that you won't have to wait long at all for your beautiful seal point little girl. I love that coloring.

I'm sorry to hear that Yoda has lost her Mum and cries a great deal of the time. Hopefully your new kitten will help her fill some sort of void.

I never really had problems introducing newbies to the other four-legged residents in the house. But you can keep the kitten separated at first and let them sniff each other from under the door. Give your BSH girl Yoda a blanket or stuffed animal to sniff with the kitten's smells on it.

Once you introduce them, I'd hold the kitten at first and make sure you are right there to supervise every move for a while. Also, if you have a wand toy, play with both of them together at the same time. That helps a lot. Plus, feeding them near each other also is a great way to get their minds off of the "meeting" when they are hungry.

I'd wait a while to first bathe the kitten. Let her get settled at first and the breeder that she is coming from should have her all cleaned up for you to take her home. So I'd play it by ear and certainly give it at least a week to bathe her.

If your kitten is doing well on the food that the breeder is giving her, then stick with that for now at least. Same thing with the kitty litter and the type of litterbox (meaning open or covered type). Too many changes at the beginning isn't fun for a kitten leaving the breeder to go to a new environment.

Plenty of toys to play with and cuddle. Plenty of blankets and cut up old socks to make clothing for her to make her feel comforted and warm and toasty.

Are you familiar with the supplement, "L-Lysine"? It's a powder that smells like fish and comes in a jar. I get it at my vet's office. I give it to my cats twice a day and when they have the sniffles or sneezes, I double the amount. It helps a lot especially during this transition for the kitten where many times they get a little runny nose, etc. from the stress of everything new.

Post plenty of pics please and don't hesitate to ask questions. Many will chime in to help you out. Best of luck.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ChloeandPenny , I waited 3 weeks to give a full spa day
I put kitty on my lap daily with a warm water wash cloth wipe down along with treats on my lap
Massaging toes and ears prepping training for "Spa Day"

I really like trizultra with Keto for ear cleaning( vets office or online ) on cotton flat cosmetic pads wiped in ears .
I don't flush ears but do wet precision tip qTips with ear cleaner for gently swirling ear crevices - especially that outer edge flap that collects gunk. I use regular qTips wetted for other ear fold larger areas I can see.
Epi otic is popular too-

Oh- I leave a radio on or tv for kitties too :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
You have gotten very good advice, you'll love it here.

ChloeandPenny

Lairian
Thank you all so much for your advice!!

I am so looking forward to bringing her home! It has been such a bumpy ride to finding a breeder, I am only 21 and many didn't trust that I was mature enough to look after a kitten, which was both surprising and upsetting. Then I told one breeder in particular that I was possibly interested in breeding myself, and asked if she could possibly come to me complete, (having experienced my mum breeding BSH in the past and loving every second, except the goodbyes of course) And I was met with absolute outrage from the breeder, I didnt realise it was a 'cheeky' question to ask! She then very quickly told me that the kitten was no longer available. Heartbroken all for one question!
I have since given up on the idea, as it was hindering my chances on adding a naked companion to the home! C'est la vie!!

I have only just been reading about L-Lysine on this website but it sounds like a very worth while investment for the little ones immune system. My other cat goes outside, very infrequently (an ex-housecat) and I am very concerned about things she may be bringing into the house. For the week leading up to bringing her home I will probably keep Yoda inside, but im not sure for how long after I should be doing this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

I will be seeing her for the first time tomorrow in the flesh, but I have attached a photo of her and my little Yoda, excuse her size, she was the little runt bless her!!

In terms of names this has been a constant debate in my head. For a while I had settled on Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. Then Penelope for a more refined edge, and Suki, being a little more exotic. She will most likely be a Penny (I was 100% sure when I made the user name, see? :D) I am hoping tomorrow when I get to know her little personality it will all become a lot clearer!

I can tell I will be all fingers and thumbs on her first bath, but thank you very much for the advice! I think by the sounds of things everything needs to be slow and steady to help her settle in, and that is what I shall do!! I am so looking forward to introducing her properly both in the house (to Yoda of course) and on here. I have wanted a cat of this breed for so long, soaking up all the information on here in preparation and now I feel so horrendously underprepared (not true!)

I have a safe room for her, separate from Yodas, all the toys and bedding, wash stuff, I will find out what diet and litter she is on tomorrow to keep things as constant as I possibly can!

I am so excited!!! Cant believe im actually posting on here instead of just reading!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 16.49.21.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 16.49.21.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 12910272_10153551897587683_1038118559_n.jpg
    12910272_10153551897587683_1038118559_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 22

ChloeandPenny

Lairian
Of course, any suggestions of names that spring to your guys minds, pleeeeease let me know. Im running out of people I know's brains to pick!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you all so much for your advice!!

I am so looking forward to bringing her home! It has been such a bumpy ride to finding a breeder, I am only 21 and many didn't trust that I was mature enough to look after a kitten, which was both surprising and upsetting. Then I told one breeder in particular that I was possibly interested in breeding myself, and asked if she could possibly come to me complete, (having experienced my mum breeding BSH in the past and loving every second, except the goodbyes of course) And I was met with absolute outrage from the breeder, I didnt realise it was a 'cheeky' question to ask! She then very quickly told me that the kitten was no longer available. Heartbroken all for one question!
I have since given up on the idea, as it was hindering my chances on adding a naked companion to the home! C'est la vie!!

I have only just been reading about L-Lysine on this website but it sounds like a very worth while investment for the little ones immune system. My other cat goes outside, very infrequently (an ex-housecat) and I am very concerned about things she may be bringing into the house. For the week leading up to bringing her home I will probably keep Yoda inside, but im not sure for how long after I should be doing this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

I will be seeing her for the first time tomorrow in the flesh, but I have attached a photo of her and my little Yoda, excuse her size, she was the little runt bless her!!

In terms of names this has been a constant debate in my head. For a while I had settled on Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. Then Penelope for a more refined edge, and Suki, being a little more exotic. She will most likely be a Penny (I was 100% sure when I made the user name, see? :D) I am hoping tomorrow when I get to know her little personality it will all become a lot clearer!

I can tell I will be all fingers and thumbs on her first bath, but thank you very much for the advice! I think by the sounds of things everything needs to be slow and steady to help her settle in, and that is what I shall do!! I am so looking forward to introducing her properly both in the house (to Yoda of course) and on here. I have wanted a cat of this breed for so long, soaking up all the information on here in preparation and now I feel so horrendously underprepared (not true!)

I have a safe room for her, separate from Yodas, all the toys and bedding, wash stuff, I will find out what diet and litter she is on tomorrow to keep things as constant as I possibly can!

I am so excited!!! Cant believe im actually posting on here instead of just reading!!

@ChloeandPenny Yoda is beautiful. The new kitten looks just like my Liam when he was a baby. :) He was my first born (well sphynx that is lol)!
I was going to name one of my girls, "Penelope" once. Like you said, once you meet her, you will know which name fits her personality. You may not be able to walk away and go home without her tomorrow. :)

I had furry cats my entire life and loved them all, but until a sphynx made it's way into my heart, I didn't know how much more love I have for these guys. This is truly an amazing breed...which you will find out soon enough. :)

As mentioned by Yoda Mom, leaving the radio on for her is a great idea. I still leave the radio on for my nakeds when I'm not home or when they need to be calm during manicure/pedicure time, bathing, etc. I find a tremendous difference by leaving the radio on.

Don't think of the L-Lysine as an investment, but more like a necessity.

Sorry you were turned away from so many breeders because of your age and mentioning that you want to breed too. I suppose a good breeder will see red flags from someone your age. Maybe one day, years from now...you will become a sphynx breeder. Right now, enjoy your new kitty, your school/work and your social life. Taking care of your new little one will be very similar to taking care of a human baby in a way. Of course, you will be able to leave the house without always having to take the kitten with you or getting a babysitter, but you will soon see what I mean. :) They are just so wonderful...I can't say enough about how this breed is loved by whomever is lucky enough to have them.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@ChloeandPenny welcome to sphynxlair for you, Yoda and the new little girl!
Yoda is a very beautiful cat, looking so wise. And the little girl is so adorable.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello @ChloeandPenny and welcome! You have gotten so much great feedback, so I just wanted to welcome you to the community! :)
Your new baby is absolutely stunning, such an adorable photo. That is so exciting that you get to meet her in person tomorrow, you will have to tell us all about it.
And Chloe is beyond adorable, I love BSH, they are so adorable.

The best of luck! Can't wait to hear more stories and see more photos!
Take care!
-Morgan

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ChloeandPenny , Awh... Both kitties soooo adorable :)
Yoda may take on baby kitty with that gorgeous warm coat :)

The only two other suggestions would to make
1) Yoda an inside cat only - (I had to do this after my dad "watched " my cat when I was a teenager- it can be done - those little bird window feeders with suction cups are fun )

2) ** kitty proof everything every day for life ***

(Dental floss , used razor blades (throw away outside of the house )watch floor heat vents - use deflectors ,flat stove tops ( I put up kitties when I cook or use oven) , fireplace , a thing string related , jewelry , hairbands , any breakables,
Toilet seats down at all times , I have to cover my coffee and creamer too they are like monkeys! Reading the forums you no doubt have read the thugs they eat!)

Have a great meeting with your baby girl! So happy for you and Yoda!

ChloeandPenny

Lairian
Sooo we saw the kittens yesterday! It was my first experience of actually holding a sphynx and oh my!!! I read online that they were hot but these babies were on fire!! My heart absolutely melted! After playing with them for about an hour we changed our minds. The girl we initially would have liked was far too timid and the breeder suggested that she may be intimidated by yoda (she is incredibly playful) They always say cats choose you and there was one kitten in particular who couldn't leave me or my boyfriend alone. We have now put a deposit down on lovely looney Luna and cannot wait for her to come home with us on the 4th of April!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 13

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations with Luna! Luna is beautiful. Love the curious look in her eyes. She definitly picked you two as her parents:).

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Loved reading your update. It's wonderful your breeder helped give you an idea about their personalities so you could hopefully find a great match for your home. Luna is a cutie ! I just reread your original post, and personally, I would have the other cat remain inside indefinitely. It is safer all the way around.

Patti

ChloeandPenny

Lairian
I definitely that advice on board Patti, thank you! she used to be a full house cat anyway so I'm sure she won't mind transitioning back, especially with a new house buddy!!! Thank you everyone for you're support!!!