Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

And then there were 3...

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab Oh my apologies! For some reason I thought you had two boys before. I wouldn't be so sure about your boys, Finn is a pretty good velcro kitty himself. He loves to be carried around like a baby, and he crawls under the blankets at night and sleeps with me
So here's me keeping my fingers crossed that baby nr 3 will be a snuggler!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Raven girl has been having a couple issues. Sunday night she puked up her kangaroo. It was her first time trying kangaroo, and I thought maybe it just didn't sit well with her, or perhaps too cold. Or maybe even a reaction to her shots the night before. I fed her the rest of her kangaroo a few hours later, and all was well, no puke. I gave her a couple freeze dried treats last night with the boys to try some bonding over some yummy treats. I went downstairs this morning to check up on her (that's her preferred area, she goes down there and retreats to her fish bed) and I noticed that she threw up the chicken treats. It was only the treats and what looked like yellow bile.

Could her puking be a response to having her rabies and her 1 year vaccine on Saturday?

Shes also been having some litter issues. She jumped out of her carrier on the way home from the vet and peed on my rubber floor mat. Another night, Finn was in the litter box in the basement (top entry) and she jumped up and started to pee in our laundry sink! Now I'm not sure if she was mad that Finn was in the box, or maybe she doesn't like the top entry. But I've seen her use our other top entry in the cat room. I went downstairs this morning and noticed a giant wet spot on the floor in the basement. The weird part is it was completely clear, and didn't smell like anything. But it had to be pee.

So I'm wondering maybe she doesn't like top entry, and I should buy her a regular box for the basement. I'm also going to try the Dr Elseys cat attract litter, as I don't think she had constant access to a box at her previous living situation and may need retraining. Poor girl I'm hoping its just a lot of adjustments for her and not a bigger issue.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I would ask the vet about doing or dropping off a urine sample to check to rule out any possible brewing UTI ?

They can get a UTI from stress . My adoptee had one when I first got him - treated and no more episodes .
Also check the amount of urine output ? Any straining ?
Are you using same style box / litter she was used to?

I would try a different box too - she could be associating the laundry sink as a top entry box
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

My crew likes the good pet stuff litter box thst looks like a planter (I dont use the moss or vines it Comes with - I saw online people painted it to match decor)

They also like the catit jumbo box I got at chewy . Part of the lid folds bsck for easy scooping .

Mention to the vet the color of the bile - it can indicate upper or lower bowel irritation .
I had to switch my first Bengal from raw to Kibble and his issiues went away .

Avignon had the vaccinations she could feel a little off - you can ask your vet if the pukka possibly related to recent vaccines

ALL paws crossed for good news updates!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you for the suggestions. I've never dropped off a urine sample before, would I just bring a clump of litter that I know was from her urine?

I've watched her use the box a few times and she doesn't appear to be straining, and it usually is quite a bit of urine.

Her previous owner told me that she was fed raw as well as kibble, but I really have no idea if that's true. I don't even know what brand or proteins she was fed. I know for a fact she was fed raw from my breeder, but if this woman continued to feed her that, who knows. Perhaps her tummy is trying to get used to being raw fed compared to snacking on kibbles.

EDIT: I actually was just reading up on my manufactures website, and it states "During the transitional phase into a raw food diet, the first 7 – 14 days, your pet may experience some digestive upset including gas, loose stools, mucous in stool, and may even vomit bile (yellow or white phlegm). Now I'm doubting if she was even fed raw, or just kibble and the PO lied about it.

Do you have any experience with Dr Elseys? I'm wondering if I should buy her actual litter or just the additive attractant. I'll buy a front entry box today and see if she prefers that style over the top entry.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you for the suggestions. I've never dropped off a urine sample before, would I just bring a clump of litter that I know was from her urine?

I've watched her use the box a few times and she doesn't appear to be straining, and it usually is quite a bit of urine.

Her previous owner told me that she was fed raw as well as kibble, but I really have no idea if that's true. I don't even know what brand or proteins she was fed. I know for a fact she was fed raw from my breeder, but if this woman continued to feed her that, who knows. Perhaps her tummy is trying to get used to being raw fed compared to snacking on kibbles.

EDIT: I actually was just reading up on my manufactures website, and it states "During the transitional phase into a raw food diet, the first 7 – 14 days, your pet may experience some digestive upset including gas, loose stools, mucous in stool, and may even vomit bile (yellow or white phlegm). Now I'm doubting if she was even fed raw, or just kibble and the PO lied about it.

Do you have any experience with Dr Elseys? I'm wondering if I should buy her actual litter or just the additive attractant. I'll buy a front entry box today and see if she prefers that style over the top entry.
Hang in there! Positive vibes coming your way! (y)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Bailey21 , we all can relate with bringing our babies home young and older amd dealing with funding what food works for them
Hang in there ! I know when I got Toby (name changed ) the orginal owmer was not forthcoming so I plotted along amd found what works

I used Dr elseys for years - the original unscented in the blue and white bag.
My mom adopted a cat years ago that tinkled outside the box - we switched her to dr elseys in the blue and white bag-Viola! Problem solved - we also took out the plastic bag liners amd she really was happy with her new potty box set up - we experimented with covered amd uncovered boxes - moms kitty preferred dr elseys in open box
My crew loves the extra large covered boxes
**i always remove the stupid door flaps on covered boxes

For pee samples I used a dollar store soup ladle to catch urine put it in a jar comtainer labeled to drop off within the hour - my boy had an in office cystiocentis (needle drawn )for urine check when it was obvious he had a UTI.

I will be homest to say I switched fro, dr elseys to a Canadian made dupe of litter called
Fresh for life odor destroyer - in the black and gold 40 lb bag - it is not the litter in their buckets for sale .
I have to admit I like the fresh for life odor destroyer litter better than dr elseys -
It clumps great ! Even better inmho - I scope 3xs a day - with a quad squad I am fussy about their litter - a clean box makes for happy kittties ! After I scoop I freshen with a scoop of fresh litter .

Keep us posted on the raw transition :)

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Oh I didn't know about the fresh for life! I see a lot of different fresh for life options at my local store. I went on my lunch and bought a big open box as well as the Dr Elseys Attract in the red and white box. My basement floor is now covered in litter from Yoda and Finn going wild in there. They're playing in it!!! :ROFLMAO: I was worried about this litter attracting them as well, I don't plan on switching, but perhaps using it to re-train her and use it to transition to the one I currently use. Hopefully it wont affect my boys litter preference/routine.

Thanks for the tip about the dollar store ladle, I'm going go soon and get myself some more litter mats to save me from sweeping my basement hourly.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully things will settle down. Might have missed it, but how many litter boxes do you have? I’d add another one that is not top entry until she gets comfortable in her new home. Please keep us updated.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi guys, I'm reviving this thread since it fits so well! Last Saturday I brought home Henry, a 5 yo white sphynx boy to go with my 2 girls. It's my first time with 3 cats; just give me my Crazy Cat Lady card now!!!

Real quick background - Henry's first home has a 2 year old boy and out of nowhere, Henry started peeing in the baby seat or the baby sofa. When the baby things weren't out, he would go in the litter box. He was checked by the vet and got a clean bill of health. Since he's been with me he's been perfect about using the litter box. No doubt in my mind it was just a thing with the little boy.

So now my question is about how many litter boxes and how many spots for them.

When I brought Henry home I got him a litter box for "his" room. Between yesterday and today, I've let all 3 cats walk around the house and I'm seeing them go in the boxes at random. It's like they're interchangeable. Meanwhile I feel like I'm on constant litter box duty; it's not just the scooping but vacuuming. So I'm debating once Henry gets fully accepted into my little cat civilization, can I move his litter box to where the other 2 are so I only have to vacuum one room? Do I even need 3 boxes if I work from home a lot and I can scoop them frequently?

Pictures attached of my little troika - the one eating is Day 5 and the one by the window is Day 6. I still put Henry in his room when I go out or to sleep, but they're doing good in my humble opinion!

Last edited:

GabbyJ

Lairian
She’s beautiful {= and and and BLACK. Adore the solid black sphynx, they’re beautiful. Her facial shape is so lovely too. Congrats!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi guys, I'm reviving this thread since it fits so well! Last Saturday I brought home Henry, a 5 yo white sphynx boy to go with my 2 girls. It's my first time with 3 cats; just give me my Crazy Cat Lady card now!!!

Real quick background - Henry's first home has a 2 year old boy and out of nowhere, Henry started peeing in the baby seat or the baby sofa. When the baby things weren't out, he would go in the litter box. He was checked by the vet and got a clean bill of health. Since he's been with me he's been perfect about using the litter box. No doubt in my mind it was just a thing with the little boy.

So now my question is about how many litter boxes and how many spots for them.

When I brought Henry home I got him a litter box for "his" room. Between yesterday and today, I've let all 3 cats walk around the house and I'm seeing them go in the boxes at random. It's like they're interchangeable. Meanwhile I feel like I'm on constant litter box duty; it's not just the scooping but vacuuming. So I'm debating once Henry gets fully accepted into my little cat civilization, can I move his litter box to where the other 2 are so I only have to vacuum one room? Do I even need 3 boxes if I work from home a lot and I can scoop them frequently?

Pictures attached of my little troika - the one eating is Day 5 and the one by the window is Day 6. I still put Henry in his room when I go out or to sleep, but they're doing good in my humble opinion!
View attachment 90503View attachment 90504
Big congratz! Beautiful bunch! I'm kinda new mommy of three as well, we have three litter boxes + one for a little one (but that one is history soon since everyone prefers that one). We're schooling the new boy to use the pellet boxes and it goes suprisingly well! My trio uses two litter boxes so one is always clean so maybe we won't need all of them. I've heard that you should have one litter box for each cat plus one, but if you're home and constantly scoop I think you're set! Can't wait to see tons of pics of your bunch.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have 4 indoor cats, two of which are elderly and have kidney problems, so I feel your pain with the litter trays. Our vet told us that if you have indoor cats you should have one per cat plus an extra. They should be positioned in various places so the cats have options. All of ours use all of the trays and I have to fully clean them out (and around them) three times a day! If that's the price I pay for all the kitty love in my life I'm willing to put up with it.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that’s awesome how they transitioned so well and awesome he has not gone outside of the box. Most say 1 more box than the number of cats, but if you find 3 is working, I wouldn’t change a thing. Your crew is gorgeous.

Back