Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Announcing when going to litter box

Niko Sphynx

Lairian
Does anyone else experience this? My 6 months old has a strange habit, whenever he is about to enter his litter area (box too) he always makes these chirpy vocalizations like he's calling out to announce his use. It's not a painful meow, just a troublesome one, almost as if he hates using the box. Usually after his feed he will use the box then go into his routine of jumping and climbing the walls. I know it's not anything health related because he gets the best and healthiest food as per the requirements of our breeder.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Niko Sphynx Hello and welcome to the lair! Couldn't help notice it was your first post.:)

My boy always has a good moan for a few minutes before going to do his business. He'll pace about all over the place, loudly meowing and chirping, and then suddenly we can hear scratching about next door :LOL: A lot more so before a no 2, but it's more like he doesn't like doing it and not because of any health issue related to going. Afterwards he'll seem so relieved and happy! :love::joyful:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi and welcome to the lair family! (y)

For me personally it isn't a strange habit but that's probably cause our little one is very vocal. (going towards 4 months old)
Very very very vocal at times, not always but.. Guess it depends on her mood? She'll make sure you know she's here or there from time to time.
If she isn't purring when she lays on your lap or getting pet, she's running around like a maniac also known as just being her.
Here the chirpy is more like a ''prrrrrewwt'' (unless that is what you mean)
If she goes to the litter box, if she goes eat, if she stares at you, if she jumps on your lap, if you clean her (although with cleaning and ears it's more a mew), if she lost her toy, even for no reason, when she passes by and rubs your leg (probably cause she wants to get petted)
Some days she has it more then others. Makes me wonder if her ancestors where a talk active breed. :happy:
Now I think about it, she is fairly silent when she plays with her toys. (not when she sleeps cause she snores! loud!)
Then theres me.. I actually talk back cause I think it's cute she's vocal and tries to communicate.
And then there is my partner, looking at me like I'm a crazy cat lady... Yeah.. ... ...

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had a boy that didn’t chirp, he out right yelled he was about to go. We got used to it, but it was sort of embarrassing when company was over and we had to explain, because they thought something was wrong lol.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus loves to have a good chat when he's about to go. He doesn't chirp but meows really loudly and does that for about 30secs then will stop when he starts digging haha he loves to just let us all know he's pooping and don't disturb him hahaha

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mine went 'kekekeke' for the first time seeing a pigeon outside. :jawdrop: it was so weird and so cute yet so weird.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair @Niko Sphynx !
My boy Ross doesn't chirp but yells before he goes for a poop. Afterwards he comes running to me to yell at me I have to clean the litterbox.

Sphynx are indeed such funny personalities!

4Beans

Lairian
Both my boys announce when they poop. It’s quite helpful as they HATE a dirty litter box so we can get it cleaned up right away.

byulbunny

Lairian
This made me laugh so much...! Our kitten meows right out to announce when she's going for a poop - we came to the decision that it's so we can go and clean it right away as not even she can stand her own smell XD

Back