Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Annual scanning

CuryC

Lairian
So, I was talking to my breeder this weekend and I was asking about annual scanning.
Don't get me wrong, I want to do everything that is best for my kitty to be...but at the same time I don't want to put undo stress on myself or the cat. My plan is at 1 year to get a scan done, just as a baseline and then sort of just let the kitty live a happy healthy life. I mean, I don't scan my furry cats, I don't put them through additional testing for potential problems. I know I would worry, and I'm sure that energy will rub off.
Unpopular opinion? Or is anyone else in the same mindset?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Here in the Netherlands it’s not common to do a scan if there are no signs something is wrong. So I never scanned my crew. My vet even refuses to do scan with a healthy cat cause it’s too stressful. Just go with what you think is best

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC I honestly believe many with non -breeding kitties will share the same mind set-

It’s personal decision for each individual kitty mum and dad and their babies -

I do have my vet take a good listen to their hearts for murmurs each year and go from there
Making an informed decision -

(I really wish the HCM scan costs were more reasonable or the HCM clinics were more frequently available -
For me its very hard to see the scan at the vets office is $650+ Each Quote
When a vet university scan clinic charges $265 )

Ps my vet said my boy has a grade 3 murmur - she did not put him on meds and we are monitoring

Head smooches
Namaste :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The echo or scan is the gold standard for heart issues but for healthy cats you could be spending your money just to find out your cat doesn't have anything wrong. Instead of doing an echo, ask your vet about doing a proBNP blood test. It's a blood test that checks for evidence of heart problems and costs a lot less. If this shows a problem, then you are probably going to need to do the echo, but if the proBNP comes back normal you'd be saving money. There are other threads on the proBNP test on the Lair so just search it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CuryC and all
Here is a link about the ProBNP test

@Condo commando thanks for reminding us all about this test :)

CuryC

Lairian
Thank you all for the replies, I have been wondering what is best, and of course when I have my little kitty that will also help me make my decisions. <3

Back